the handball

Started by heganboy, June 23, 2008, 08:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

isn't it great that if you click on gaa on the rte site, the first story is about handball
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Main Street

Handball Ace

Don't be so patronising. I know you don't mean it.

Handball is a real Gaelic sport, and handballers are very proud of it. The game has been run into the ground by officials for years and is criminally ignored by the GAA.

Do you know that there isn't a single full time development officer for handball?

A story on a website? Big wow. Some real respect would be appreciated, but it's unlikely to come.

By the way, the game is growing. We had 320 Under 14s played in the Feile last weekend...

heganboy

Quote from: Handball Ace on June 24, 2008, 01:14:51 AM
Don't be so patronising. I know you don't mean it.

Jaysus, sensitive sort aren't ya? and how do you know what I mean Mystic Meg?

There's a fair few Armagh lads on this board who would have been at a handball school, and this fella who sort of fancied himself playing handball (big court) at the age of 16, who had his ass handed to him by his 50 year old uncle who hadn't been on a court in 25 years, and then all casual like dropped in about his all ireland...

So again before the sensitive one jumps all over it again, isn't it great to see handball getting a bit of
press attention, and one website is a start.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

brokencrossbar1

Handball is a great sport, used to play it on the out door court all the time.  It was a real marker too in school.  All the Newry lads in our year played soccer out the front yard, while all the culchies banged the ball against the back wall, playing "Namesies".  The rivallry was viscious >:(

Denn Forever

I see that the GAA Handball show is on TG4 for the next hour.  Far play TG4.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Eamonnca1

The handball people seem to be kicking ass on the promotion front at the minute. Fair dues to them.

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayo.mick on February 22, 2014, 10:36:57 PM
Great night last night in Westport for the Mayo GAA Handball Awards.

http://swinfordhandballclub.weebly.com/1/post/2014/02/handball-awards-night.html
Ah, fair play, Mick for bringing back oul' memories.
There was no backwall when I was growing u and many a time you'd wind up in the river when trying to return a high lob. Devil the bit of harm it did me and the pals even if we landed on our arses in the water or sprained an ankle either.
Don't I wish I was back there again!  ;D

PS  I see our beloved Taoiseach was at the awards ceremony.
I had many a game with Enda. He and I were in St. Pat's, Drumcondra together and a few of us culchies used to go down to the old alley in Croker to pass an hour or two.
Enda was fairly handy with a half-solid and could hold his own with anyone.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 24, 2008, 09:05:58 AM
Handball is a great sport, used to play it on the out door court all the time.  It was a real marker too in school.  All the Newry lads in our year played soccer out the front yard, while all the culchies banged the ball against the back wall, playing "Namesies".  The rivallry was viscious >:(

This recalls my own schooldays.
Handball is underrated. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B