Fermanagh wait for McCabe verdict

Started by donalmac99, June 23, 2008, 03:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Fair play to Glentoran and Alan Mc Donald on this. With Linfield allowing their pitch to be used by a camogie team, the gaelicisation of Irish league soccer is well and truly underway ;D

PS I predict defeats for young Mc Cabe, in both the UEFA Cup (by some team from a country with a population of 193) and the Ulster Final, by Armagh of course ;D

haranguerer

Quote from: T Fearon on June 25, 2008, 09:04:57 AM

PS I predict defeats for young Mc Cabe, in both the UEFA Cup (by some team from a country with a population of 193) and the Ulster Final, by Armagh of course ;D

Sure what difference - its meaningless anyway... :P

thebandit

Despite what Tony thinks its far from important!!!

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on June 24, 2008, 11:42:01 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 24, 2008, 10:00:13 PM
Yes, a good move.  But anything else would have been pretty bad PR for them.

Think you're holding back on a bit of credit there. The most important PR for any team is with their fans, a typical glens fan would, I imagine, be entitled to feel that he should be playing for them when hes contracted, even moreso if they were to watch any of the games and see the treatment he has got from outplayed defenders (take a particular bow, McQuaid). They would be right to feel aggrieved if he got injured playing for fermanagh.
Is it maybe the case that the Glens are expecting to win this match anyway, so his loss isnt that important? Just curious...
Don't miss an opportunity, whatever you do.
I have given credit. I have also merely commented on the likely outcome if they hadn't allowed him to play. And yes, the fans may be important, but in this country, so is the media fallout and the outside perception, especially in the 'new political climate'.

Quote from: rrhf on June 25, 2008, 09:00:46 AM
Agh ffs just treat it as face value - I call it respect for the player.  Fair play big Alan and the Glens - they are noiw my favourite Irish league team. 
I just wonder if Glens hadn't given the green light, would McCabe have been able to stick by their decision? I'd imagine most Fermanagh men would find it very difficult to pass up an opportunity to play in the Ulster Final, regardless of the consequences.

As for the soccer paying the mortgage (as mentioned further up), would it really? Is it not a semi-pro league? Do the players make a proper living from it?

gerry

QuoteOur first leg Uefa Cup game is three days before the Ulster final and Shane will be available for that. As far as I'm concerned there is no conflict of interest."

wonder if they would think the same if it was three days after

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

thewobbler

It is 3 days after. 2-legged game. So get back in your box.

gerry

Quote from: thewobbler on June 25, 2008, 09:33:31 PM
It is 3 days after. 2-legged game. So get back in your box.

Our first leg Uefa Cup game is three days before the Ulster final and Shane will be available for that. As far as I'm concerned there is no conflict of interest."

only going by what was said before
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

T Fearon

The rationale being that after the first UEFA Game, the second leg will be a mere formality, with Glentoran out of contention by that stage,I would have thought.

ziggysego

With that prediction, Glentoran will probably end up winning the competition.
Testing Accessibility

rrhf

If its a too legged game in a week why dont they just play 180 minutes in the middle of the week and be over and done with it.  

TacadoirArdMhacha

As for the soccer paying the mortgage (as mentioned further up), would it really? Is it not a semi-pro league? Do the players make a proper living from it?

Appaently McCabe is only part time. Both Linfield and Glens would have some full time players and the top Eircom League clubs like Derry, Pat's, Bohs and Cork would all be fully pro.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead