Sligo Football - Where do we go from here?

Started by Sligoper, June 23, 2008, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are people confident In John Murphy's abilities as co. chairman?

Yes
No
Hard to say

ludermor

Why were you not making such a big deal about this before the match? Its only when a few decent players come along that its a issue, im sure it happens n every county that there a few towns/villages with peculiar set ups.
What would you do to reslove the situation? Would you put a block on the likes of Parsons playing for charlestown/mayo if the rules said you could? Would you prefer for him to be lost to the game forever just for the advancement of your own counties fortunes?

moysider

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2008, 12:22:55 PM
Quote from: stephenite on June 25, 2008, 01:50:35 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2008, 01:38:39 AM
I know lads within a stone throw of James Stevens Park who play for Knockmore.

At Senior level?

Yes.

Go on Moysider, who ya on about? I mentioned Graham O'Hora earlier so I presume its not him you're referring too?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Sligoper

Parson's has never represented curry at any age. Thats a fact.
Go on the Bunnies!

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 25, 2008, 11:54:36 AM
Its posted on hoganstand that parsons played for curry at u14 aswell. but had played for charlestown before at u12, u10, that and they beat toulestrane in county u14 final that yr. Tourlestrane objected and won and replay had to be played without the bellaghy lads. Sligo county board need to take a long look at themselves, clearly the old farts are there for there own interest and not sligo football. As for toulestrane no comment  >:(.

I have had a look at hoganstand and i don't know where you are getting this rubbish from. Your reading as well as your match predictions are clearly not up to scratch. What i read from Hogan stand is the following - 2 players who had already played for Charlestown in their underage leagues played for Curry (Mulligan and Towey were mentioned). Nowhere did it say Parsons played at underage for Curry. Tourlestrane rightly objected as obviously you cannot play for 2 clubs in the one year even though the 2 clubs are in different counties. Read it again there

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 25, 2008, 01:14:44 PM

At Senior level?

Yes.

Go on Moysider, who ya on about? I mentioned Graham O'Hora earlier so I presume its not him you're referring too?

No. Not him or James Noone who is also in Knockmore parish in Rathnaconeen but basically in Ballina. Stephenite mentions 1 but was under the impression he moved to live in Knockmore which his family have not done - yet anyway. The other lad does nt seem to be involved anymore but lived down the Killala Rd. while playing with Knockmore. Some Knockmore players down the years would be technically live in the Ardagh parish as well but were really Backs to the core. Nobody really minds - I think. There is also the case of young Cafferkey who has moved to Crossmolina. Some say he was always in Cross jurisdiction but it was more convenient to play underage with Ardmoy. I dont know for sure.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2008, 03:26:32 PM

There is also the case of young Cafferkey who has moved to Crossmolina. Some say he was always in Cross jurisdiction but it was more convenient to play underage with Ardmoy. I dont know.

Young cafferkey live in cross all his life but he went to school in moygownagh so he played underage with them. He transfered back to cross last year i think seen him play with the intermediates a few weeks ago and he looks a good prospect
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 25, 2008, 03:39:11 PM

There is also the case of young Cafferkey who has moved to Crossmolina. Some say he was always in Cross jurisdiction but it was more convenient to play underage with Ardmoy. I dont know.

Young cafferkey live in cross all his life but he went to school in moygownagh so he played underage with them. He transfered back to cross last year i think seen him play with the intermediates a few weeks ago and he looks a good prospect

Yeah. That tallys with what I believed to be the case. Thanks for that clarification Deel Rover. The lad is a fine player. A great boost for Cross and probably a future Senior County player. Anybody interested seeing him and a few more promising lads they ll be playing for Mayo minors this Sat. in Castlebar.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on June 25, 2008, 03:11:24 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 25, 2008, 11:54:36 AM
Its posted on hoganstand that parsons played for curry at u14 aswell. but had played for charlestown before at u12, u10, that and they beat toulestrane in county u14 final that yr. Tourlestrane objected and won and replay had to be played without the bellaghy lads. Sligo county board need to take a long look at themselves, clearly the old farts are there for there own interest and not sligo football. As for toulestrane no comment  >:(.

I have had a look at hoganstand and i don't know where you are getting this rubbish from. Your reading as well as your match predictions are clearly not up to scratch. What i read from Hogan stand is the following - 2 players who had already played for Charlestown in their underage leagues played for Curry (Mulligan and Towey were mentioned). Nowhere did it say Parsons played at underage for Curry. Tourlestrane rightly objected as obviously you cannot play for 2 clubs in the one year even though the 2 clubs are in different counties. Read it again there

Yes sorry, not at the races since sunday and ffing seeing things now ::). Im sick of the parsons thing now, its wrecking my head. Best that I dont mention it again and only hope we can get bellaghy players to play with curry in future but not likely. It didnt say the lads played with charlestown in the same yr though mano, just said the mulligans wanted to play with curry. Ironically passing through bellaghy there were alot more sligo flags than usual. Very confusing place.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stephenite

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 25, 2008, 01:14:44 PM

At Senior level?

Yes.

No. Not him or James Noone who is also in Knockmore parish in Rathnaconeen but basically in Ballina. Stephenite mentions 1 but was under the impression he moved to live in Knockmore which his family have not done - yet anyway. The other lad does nt seem to be involved anymore but lived down the Killala Rd. while playing with Knockmore. Some Knockmore players down the years would be technically live in the Ardagh parish as well but were really Backs to the core. Nobody really minds - I think. There is also the case of young Cafferkey who has moved to Crossmolina. Some say he was always in Cross jurisdiction but it was more convenient to play underage with Ardmoy. I dont know.

Must be Brian Gibbons, was told that he had moved out to Knockmore, when Gibbons was out with the Irish U-17 team in Adelaide a few years back our All Ireland winning club captain confirmed this to me, the lying bastard :D

moysider

Yeah well I dont have much problem with lads playing with a parish that they have family ties even if they end up living in a different geographical area for reasons say of young couple moving into a housing estate in a nearby town when they got married but preferring to keep in touch with their rural roots or whatever.

Also I think the Patrick McHale situation was a once off. It was a wrong decision on his part - I m sure he would admit that himself. But he was nt happy with his lot in Ballina over a period of time and his roots were in Knockmore and was Ballina due to where his Dad built a house and he served Ballina well and in reality it was his club and where his mates were. But his Dad and Uncles were Knockmore legends - captains and multiple championship winners. With his Uncle managing the team you could imagine why he would feel like this would revitalised  his career - and he really is an unfulfilled talent. However he s probably realised it's not that simple and you cant just hop from Ballina to Knockmore same as James Nallen or whoever could never have moved from Cross to Knockmore or Ballina even if he had family ties with either. Anyway it's not something that will happen much. The lad should not be castigated for it either. We ve all thrown the toys out of the pram when it comes to football at some time.

stephenite

Ah I know Moysider - and to be honest I'd rather have Gazza back playing for the Stephenites than anyone else because he is an unfulfilled talent, fantastic potential. I wouldn't know him personally but would know a lot of his family and cousins and they all told me it was probably a one off, as he was very frustrated with lack of opportunities he was getting with the Stephenites under the management team that was in place. I suppose my point was that I was more concerned that it would set a precedent and you'd see lads swopping clubs to follow managers about the place if they weren't happy with their lot.

Edit : some of that probaby made no sense but in work and boss just landed in to me and had to post quicky!

RedandGreenSniper

Look, I know everyone has spat the dummy from time to time but I agree with what Stephenite says about the precedent. It has to be a very genuine reason to leave in the first place. Maybe he had one. But to be able to go back to Ballina within a year says to me that the problem mustn't have been a major one.
I agree the lad is a talented footballer but that's not the issue whatsoever. The tie to your parish is one of the greatest gifts the GAA has and I just hate to see instances of where it becomes like soccer - you have a minor tiff with a manager, go out the road to another club and return to your first club. Perhaps I'm being harsh - I don't know the lad - but I just don't like this kinda thing

moysider

You re right of course Sniper. It was a once off and should nt have happened.

Ardnaree always have the threat of transfers hanging over them because of a very iffy set up within the 'greater' Ballina area. Example. We had 3 Ardnaree players starting on a Mayo U21 team this year and only 1 still playing with Ardnaree. Usually the flow is from  Ardnaree to Ballina. However Enda Devenney is now playing exclusively with Ballina B and there have been rumours that he my be about to move to Ardnaree. 

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2008, 01:33:05 AM

You re right of course Sniper. It was a once off and should nt have happened.

Ardnaree always have the threat of transfers hanging over them because of a very iffy set up within the 'greater' Ballina area. Example. We had 3 Ardnaree players starting on a Mayo U21 team this year and only 1 still playing with Ardnaree. Usually the flow is from  Ardnaree to Ballina. However Enda Devenney is now playing exclusively with Ballina B and there have been rumours that he my be about to move to Ardnaree. 

Its some turnaround from starting for Mayo against Galway in Pearse Stadium in May 2007 to playing with Ballina B for Devenney.
Like I said in an earlier post I presume Ardnaree is part of the Ballina parish and therefore lads are free to move between the clubs? Its something that should be tightened up. You make a good point about the Under 21's - losing Burke to Dublin, Sweeney to Ballina. Who was the third player again? Ian Clarke?