Sligo Football - Where do we go from here?

Started by Sligoper, June 23, 2008, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are people confident In John Murphy's abilities as co. chairman?

Yes
No
Hard to say

SLIGONIAN

Delighted to hear this good news, hopefully a precursor for better things. Well done to all involved. Roscommon have excellent underage teams coming through and keeping up with them is a good sign.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Delighted for liam kennedy, hard working tenacious player with pace and no little talent, see him play half back for the club recently at u16. He is the fittest young fella i have ever seen in my life. I managed him with cliffoney ns at cumann na mbuscola and delighted his developed alot further since. The great thing about this lad is his atitude. Congrats to him and the lads. Jees theres some talent coming through my club at the minute. In 5 or 6 yrs time we will have more county players than any other club.

From Sligogaa.ie

Well done to our County U-16 Boys who have won the Fr Manning Cup when they defeated Roscommon in the Final on a scoreline of Sligo 2-8  Roscommon 1-10

This is only the third time that Sligo have won this inter-county competition. The competition was first held in 1965 established by the Longford County Board in memory of Fr Sean Manning.  He served as Chairman of both Longford County Board for 6yrs and Leitrim Co Board for 9yrs.  He held many other positions within the association as well.

Sligo first won this Competition in 1994 and again in 1996, both these teams went on in two years time after their wins to contest the Connacht Minor Championship Finals loosing each of them by one point.

So after  12 years wait we are again the holders of the Cup.

Congratulations to Liam Kennedy (Molaise Gaels) who won Player of the Game.

Well done to the squad, management team of Eamonn Kelly and his back up team on their success.  This is where Sligo football begins so every success to this Squad in the Webb Cup Competition

SLIGONIAN

WTF is going on, there is no excuse our lads are flying fit after the conditioning done all year at county and the club championship is coming up so fitness cant be hidden behind. The only positive from today is john kent will be ran and good riddens. Our current players at county are a disgrace to the jersey. There is no defending them. Effort they wouldnt know the meaning of the word. Its the one we lack big time. Like for crying out loud london players have little or no sense of pride or identity playing for london, its not there home there representing. Its only the TM cup. Thank f**k its gone next yr. But Sligo lads there needs to be a clear out of players that just dont have the right atitude.

From sligogaa.ie
The nightmare continues for Sligo as they are comprehensively defeated in Ruislip on a score line of London 3-14 Sligo 2-12. London took the spoils in extra time.

The home team led 0-6 to 0-3 until David Kelly converted a penalty to level things.The scores were level at half time but the visitors could not pull ahead in the second half even with the benefit of a strong breeze. A 65th., minute goal from Chris Donnellan left the score 1-10 to 1-10 at the end of normal time which saw a referee change because of cramp.The Londoners were 2-12 to 1-12 ahead at the intervel of extra time and they added a goal and two points to this tally to achieve a famous victory. Substitutes Paul Hehir and Ollie Coffey were the scorers of Londons extra time goals.

orangeman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2008, 10:47:47 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 16, 2008, 09:03:04 AM
. I struggle to see why he would be interested though.

Think of all them interviews, photos, ............................. :D

;) :D ;D

Owenmoresider

Considering their treatment of Jordan, it's hard to feel much sympathy for some of them. That said I'd like to see the team that lined out, surely not the one listed on the website.

Well done to the hurlers and the Under-16's too.

Sligoper

Yeah a dissapointing result but alot of players heads were in the wrong place im guessin.
Probably dissalusioned by players who ousted Jordan and then the same players dont turn up for the Tommy Murphy.
Go on the Bunnies!

SLIGONIAN

Ya well done to the hurlers, now 1 game away from croker.

O hara may have instigated the vote but wasnt it a secret ballet after that so players had there own choice to. They could have voted against getting rid of him.

Players lost interest Sligoper???, is it that simple when you put on the sligo jersey, f**k it lost interest wont bother me arse today. Would that be accepted in cork or anywhere else... today was an opportunity to save some grace and stick it to the lads who wouldnt play.

I say this to any sligo player whos lost interest or is happy with 1 connacht medal. f**k off we dont want you or need you. You are no use to us to anymore, just stay at home. Its about now move on to players who do give a shit and forget about the past even 07, its time find players willing to die for the jersey not primadonna hangers on.

Sligoper

You must have had some inspirational music playing in the background when you typed that. Lost interest was badly worded and im going to change it, i dont thinks heads were right is what i meant.
Go on the Bunnies!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Sligoper on July 19, 2008, 09:58:17 PM
You must have had some inspirational music playing in the background when you typed that. Lost interest was badly worded and im going to change it, i dont thinks heads were right is what i meant.

No when it comes to my county i dont need any extra motivation or inspiration to play, support or type about my county. It comes naturally, like it should for our players but clearly doesnt >:(.

shapes

Its an all time low.
Read the report in the paper and we were not missing that many from the Mayo game.
We should have sent Eastern Harps out to play them and I am not from that club but this Sligo team has no heart.

Buckass

magpie seanie

What a shambles, you wouldn't know where to start. The players look a bit silly now after shafting Jordan and then losing to London. Also, amazing that only two subs were used in a game that went to extra time though amybe the reporter missed them. From the Sunday Independent:

London shock for sad Sligo

Sunday July 20 2008

There was a major shock in Ruislip yesterday as minnows London made it two wins in the space of eight days with a magnificent extra-time victory over Sligo.

Galway native Chris Donnellan produced an inspirational performance for the Exiles, scoring 1-7 while Paul Hehir and Ollie Coffey both came off the bench to fire goals for the hosts.

Sligo were a pale shadow of the side that cruised to a Connacht Championship victory against the same opposition two months ago. Minus big-name players such as Eamonn O'Hara and Sean Davey, the Yeats County can have no complaints with the final scoreline, and must now focus their attentions on finding a successor to Tommy Jordan.

Level at the break, the visitors looked to be en route to victory when they hit five quick points at the beginning of the second half but a superb goal from Donnellan got London back into contention.

A late point from Mark Butler forced extra-time but a goal in each half from Hehir and Coffey -- the latter's a stunning finish into the top corner of the net -- sealed a famous win for the hosts.

Scorers -- London: C Donnellan 1-7 (3f); P Duffy 0-3; P Hehir, O Coffey 1-0 each; A Hayes 0-2 (2f); M Hughes, A Raftery 0-1 each. Sligo: K Sweeney 1-2; M Breheny 0-4 (2f); D Kelly 1-0 (pen); D Davey 0-2; E Cawley, E McHugh, M Butler, B Curran 0-1 each.

London: E Byrne; R Morgan, B Comer, G O'Hare; P McDermott, E O Cuiv, O Henry; P Geraghty, A Raftery; H Murphy, P Duffy, C Donnellan; S Maguire, M Hughes, A Hayes. Subs: P Friel for Hayes (47); P Hehir for Murphy (52); D O'Leary for O'Hare (69); O Coffey for Hughes (80).

Sligo: P Greene; C Harrison, N McGuire, R Donovan; J Davey, B Philips, E McHugh; S Gilmartin, T Taylor; B Curran, M Breheny, D Davey; K Sweeney, E Cawley, D Kelly. Subs: M Butler for J Davey (50); G McGowan for Cawley (67).

Referee: E Kinsella (Laois).

SLIGONIAN

I have to say im even more stunned seeing the team we had out.

That defence conceded 3-14 to london, with that fb line, unfortunetly nothing was in front of them defensively to protect them, wow we really are fucked. Who ever was marking c donnellan and Duffy did a good job? Not hard to work out.

We are Fucked big time now is all i can say. Its going to take lazurus type comeback next yr to be even competitive next yr.

Mano

Its pretty obvious that there was no interest in the Tommy Murphy Cup. O'Hara made it clear and the other players who were selected to play but didn't travel is an indication of that.

Quote from: shapes on July 20, 2008, 02:25:29 PM
Its an all time low.
Read the report in the paper and we were not missing that many from the Mayo game.
We should have sent Eastern Harps out to play them and I am not from that club but this Sligo team has no heart.

Its an overstatement to say this is an all time low-the players weren't interested and thats fairly blatant. I would be a lot more disappointed about the Mayo reult and performance.
There were 7 missing which is i think a lot of the team. Only 2 subs were used i noticed from the report-were there any other subs available.

baoithe

Nobody really gave a damn about the TM Cup. Nonetheless, if a player has committed himself to taking part in the competition you'd expect him to have the personal pride and frankly a respect for the jersey not to be eliminated in such a gutless fashion to a team who in the normal course of things are at a level below Sligo.

The county boards next appointment is of crucial importance as it would seem that we are on the cusp of returning to the level we were at in the early nineties. I personally believe the players are better than that and to be honest I don't think the players back in the bad old days were much worse. The problem was the cliques that made the decisions in Sligo football and in my opinion we are heading that way again under the current chairman.