Author Topic: Teachers get it handy!  (Read 257269 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Teachers get it handy!
« Reply #3315 on: January 13, 2021, 10:04:42 AM »
So where schools are taking in children and half the kids are at home being home schooled or doing lessons online, will the children in school be in a better position educational wise, for being taught in class?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Maroon Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: January 13, 2021, 10:22:05 AM »
So where schools are taking in children and half the kids are at home being home schooled or doing lessons online, will the children in school be in a better position educational wise, for being taught in class?

I doubt it, my 6 year old is getting a lot more one on one teaching then she would in the classroom and is certainly getting a lot more work done.

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: January 13, 2021, 10:41:48 AM »

Seems to be more one to one teaching for the younger classes when they're at home. But they miss out on all the social skills they learn through play. The older KS2 classes work that is handed on Google Classroom is a lot worse than it would be in school.   

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: January 13, 2021, 10:56:12 AM »

You would have to assume that the school teaching is better, parents aren't qualified teachers and couldn't dedicate the same amount of time.

But it this way I wouldn't ever expect a teacher to do my engineering job to the same standard that I do, takes years to learn these skills at uni and on the job.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: January 13, 2021, 12:10:07 PM »

I'd say no, for 2 reasons (primary school level) . Those in school will, from I've heard be clumped with pupils from other years ie P1-4 in a classroom or 2. P5-P7 clumped together. Teachers changing day by day. So those in school will be running through the same stuff as those at home. And, it's only a matter of weeks in the grand scheme of things

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: January 13, 2021, 06:22:35 PM »
At secondary level, most (maybe all?) pupils are simply being supervised - and not by teachers!  So they learn on-line like the rest, just from the school building rather than from home.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: January 13, 2021, 07:59:22 PM »
Wife bumped into one of the other teachers today at the shop, asked her how she getting on, and she brought up that she’d been leaving her nipper into nursery and was home schooling the other while doing her online teaching!

The nursery owner told her that she’ll only look after the child on the days she’d be off as she works  3 days!

Teachers are key workers? So should be able to have kids minded?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:32:14 PM by Milltown Row2 »
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: January 13, 2021, 08:29:12 PM »
Wife bumped into one of the other teachers today at the shop, asked her how she getting on, and she brought up that she’d been leaving her nipper into nursery and was home schooling the other while doing her online teaching!

The nursery owner told her that she’ll only look after the child on the days she’d be off as she has not died 3 days!

Teachers are key workers? So should be able to have kids minded?

Yeh, absolutely. The parents of the kids they are not teaching should mind the teachers kids too. Scandal they had to go to such a dangerous place as a shop too. Get those useless gimps in the department to deliver them food.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: January 13, 2021, 08:43:19 PM »

You would have to assume that the school teaching is better, parents aren't qualified teachers and couldn't dedicate the same amount of time.

But it this way I wouldn't ever expect a teacher to do my engineering job to the same standard that I do, takes years to learn these skills at uni and on the job.

In fairness, I don't think teachers can dedicate the same amount of time in the class....if they're 33 in a class say.

Parents could probably do more in an hour with their child, than a teacher would do all day.

It's the social side that they need.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: January 13, 2021, 08:45:24 PM »

I'd say no, for 2 reasons (primary school level) . Those in school will, from I've heard be clumped with pupils from other years ie P1-4 in a classroom or 2. P5-P7 clumped together. Teachers changing day by day. So those in school will be running through the same stuff as those at home. And, it's only a matter of weeks in the grand scheme of things

Is that not a good thing that they're mixed - composite classes and all that.  That's the norm in Africa.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: January 13, 2021, 08:53:26 PM »

Is that not a good thing that they're mixed - composite classes and all that.  That's the norm in Africa.

Maybe with a set teacher Marty. Atm with schools (maybe not all) the teachers change regularly and help with the packs the kids at home are using.

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: January 13, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »
The ante has been upped for me the day. We have to dedicate a lot more time to the kids at home. So we give them a welcome and a goodbye 10/15 minute video per day. But we have to do this when the other wains are in class. So we say to the wans we are teaching to get on with work while we  chat to twenty kids online.

We also have to send teacher led activities for lessons on videos back home.

On top of that we still have to send out lessons on google and mark them as well as well as look after all the ones in class.

ATM we send work and messages on google classroom and we mark it. Seemed okay for me. But not so....

delgany

• View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: January 13, 2021, 11:22:07 PM »
DENI have now indicated that a child working from home, must produce work that they send back to their teacher (daily or weekly- not clear on that part )or they are marked absent for that specific day(s)!

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: January 14, 2021, 08:38:01 AM »
DENI have now indicated that a child working from home, must produce work that they send back to their teacher (daily or weekly- not clear on that part )or they are marked absent for that specific day(s)!

We upload two pieces of work a day (P4) for my wee fella each day onto MS Teams, we we told the other day any children not engaging with the home learning would be marked absent.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: January 14, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »

We upload two pieces of work a day (P4) for my wee fella each day onto MS Teams, we we told the other day any children not engaging with the home learning would be marked absent.

Joke