Author Topic: Teachers get it handy!  (Read 276788 times)

From the Bunker

• View Profile
Re: Teachers get it handy!
« Reply #3525 on: April 06, 2021, 09:01:41 PM »
More strike threats down south. Not happy with vaccine roll out now, think they should be all put up the list. Classy as ever.

I think they are saying that they should not be put down the list, which is not quite the same thing.
Now they probably should not have been told of a higher position previously, but in part that was to avoid taking more rigourous measures in schools and these should now be looked at if the vaccine priority has changed.

Nphet have decided to do the rest of the roll out by age. Again in my medical device factory I have not heard one person crib over getting the vaccine ahead or behind anyone else. A sickening selfish act yet again by teachers unions.

To be fair Teachers have been looking of what has been happening from their home since last March, bar a period from September to December. When you have been isolated from the real world of living and working with covid you become fearful.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: April 06, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »
The teachers in the South are getting concerned they won't be vaccinated in time to get away on their summer holidays.

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: April 06, 2021, 09:27:21 PM »
Could do with a bit of northern efficiency down there.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: April 06, 2021, 09:54:04 PM »
More strike threats down south. Not happy with vaccine roll out now, think they should be all put up the list. Classy as ever.

I think they are saying that they should not be put down the list, which is not quite the same thing.
Now they probably should not have been told of a higher position previously, but in part that was to avoid taking more rigourous measures in schools and these should now be looked at if the vaccine priority has changed.

Nphet have decided to do the rest of the roll out by age. Again in my medical device factory I have not heard one person crib over getting the vaccine ahead or behind anyone else. A sickening selfish act yet again by teachers unions.

To be fair Teachers have been looking of what has been happening from their home since last March, bar a period from September to December. When you have been isolated from the real world of living and working with covid you become fearful.

Fearful or selfish? Do they ever look at themselves and think wevare the only group in the country threatening strike during this emergency and by Jesus have nurses and doctors waaay more reasom to strike and they didn't. Its appalling behaviour from a group with no shame.

The CCCC

• View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: April 06, 2021, 10:23:34 PM »

Fearful or selfish? Do they ever look at themselves and think wevare the only group in the country threatening strike during this emergency and by Jesus have nurses and doctors waaay more reasom to strike and they didn't. Its appalling behaviour from a group with no shame.

Just out of interest, are there any other 'group' in the country who are asked to work inside, in small rooms, with up to 35 other people, where the people in the room are not wearing masks or face guards at the very least?

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: April 06, 2021, 10:29:55 PM »

Just out of interest, are there any other 'group' in the country who are asked to work inside, in small rooms, with up to 35 other people, where the people in the room are not wearing masks or face guards at the very least?

They've barely worked in a year, get real.

Who should they get vaccinated instead off?

The CCCC

• View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: April 06, 2021, 10:42:03 PM »

Ah ha. So it's the fact teachers have been based at home is what your problem is. Not the fact their health could be threatened by the increased risk of catching covid given they are mixing with people from 30+ other families/household in small rooms without masks - which no other workforce has to do.

It is not the fault of teachers that school buildings were closed and they had to work from home. But of course the judgement from someone who has never done the job is that teachers were doing nothing at home.

The best point I could make it don't judge a workforce until you've been in their shoes. You judge the life of a teacher from the outside yet I take it you have never worked as a teacher? So really you wouldn't truly understand their feelings on it.

The biggest point here is the amount of people in a small room and the teachers aren't being protected as not everyone is masked up. Would you happily work in a small room in this way?

Getting schools open is a massive part of getting society and economy etc up and running again. The sensible thing would have been to vaccinate teachers so they were kept safe - given they seem to be the only workforce asked to work unsafely in small rooms with unmasked people - and as you can't seem to given me examples of any other workforce asked to work in this way so there must not be any other examples.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: April 06, 2021, 10:50:56 PM »

Ah ha. So it's the fact teachers have been based at home is what your problem is. Not the fact their health could be threatened by the increased risk of catching covid given they are mixing with people from 30+ other families/household in small rooms without masks - which no other workforce has to do.

It is not the fault of teachers that school buildings were closed and they had to work from home. But of course the judgement from someone who has never done the job is that teachers were doing nothing at home.

The best point I could make it don't judge a workforce until you've been in their shoes. You judge the life of a teacher from the outside yet I take it you have never worked as a teacher? So really you wouldn't truly understand their feelings on it.

The biggest point here is the amount of people in a small room and the teachers aren't being protected as not everyone is masked up. Would you happily work in a small room in this way?

Getting schools open is a massive part of getting society and economy etc up and running again. The sensible thing would have been to vaccinate teachers so they were kept safe - given they seem to be the only workforce asked to work unsafely in small rooms with unmasked people - and as you can't seem to given me examples of any other workforce asked to work in this way so there must not be any other examples.

Ah ha nothing. Wrong wrong wrong. Get your head out of your ass and have a look around.

Are your teachers not wearing masks at school? How many teachers have caught covid at school and died? Do you support a 25 year old teacher getting vaccinated ahead of a 50 year old man who works in a shop in retail for example?

The CCCC

• View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: April 06, 2021, 11:04:19 PM »

Ah ha nothing. Wrong wrong wrong. Get your head out of your ass and have a look around.

Are your teachers not wearing masks at school? How many teachers have caught covid at school and died? Do you support a 25 year old teacher getting vaccinated ahead of a 50 year old man who works in a shop in retail for example?

The sign of a person who can only see their way and no other way.

I will answer you questions below but how about firstly you would please answer the couple of questions I asked you already instead of ignoring them.

1 - Would you happily agree to work in small room with 35 people with the majority with no masks and have no problem with it?
2 - Have you ever worked as a teacher resulting in you having a true understanding of their feelings?
3 - Is there any other workforce asked to work in small with up to 35 people that are unmasked?

Yes teachers are wearing masks. But the pupils who are coming from up to 30+ families are not and are not expected to by government. I'm not sure if any teacher had died - hopefully not. But that doesn't mean no teacher has contracted it, harmed their health or are badly affected by catching covid after being forced to work inside a small room environment and try to get on with it in order to keep their job. Of course a 50 year old appears to be at more risk of harm if they caught covid than a 25 year old. I haven't seen any teacher claim otherwise. However - do you realise there are teachers 50 and over who work in schools? Who are forced into small rooms? At least a shop worker has some protection with the vast majority of people wearing a mask in their company and expected to keep a distance of 2 metres in their company.

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: April 06, 2021, 11:04:29 PM »

Supermarket staff are on average older than teachers and mix with far more people during the day. I would say they are in a higher risk category than teachers.

Unfortunately for them they don't have several unions to scream and shout for them and as private sector employees they have far less job security to be able to go out strike or make as many demands as the teachers seem to be doing

The CCCC

• View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: April 06, 2021, 11:10:01 PM »

Supermarket staff are on average older than teachers and mix with far more people during the day. I would say they are in a higher risk category than teachers.

Unfortunately for them they don't have several unions to scream and shout for them and as private sector employees they have far less job security to be able to go out strike or make as many demands as the teachers seem to be doing

Blatant ignorance if you think this is true given people mixing with shop workers are wearing a mask in their company and expected to keep a distance of 2 metres in their company - in larger shop spaces than a classroom. 

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: April 06, 2021, 11:15:45 PM »
Blatant ignorance? Every single shop worker in supermarkets, newsagents etc is working in a room bigger than a classroom?

There's not many supermarkets/stores were it's possible to keep 2m away from customers at all times.

Private sector employees have had to work with their employer to get back to work as their livelihood depends on it. Teachers seem to be actively working against the government, dept of education and looking for reasons not to go back to work in the classroom.

The CCCC

• View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: April 06, 2021, 11:23:01 PM »
Blatant ignorance? Every single shop worker in supermarkets, newsagents etc is working in a room bigger than a classroom?

There's not many supermarkets/stores were it's possible to keep 2m away from customers at all times.

Private sector employees have had to work with their employer to get back to work as their livelihood depends on it. Teachers seem to be actively working against the government, dept of education and looking for reasons not to go back to work in the classroom.

Come on! How many shops in the country are smaller than a school classroom?  ::) Keeping 2m at all times maybe not, but there is little standing within 2m to a shop worker for a considerable period of time. And during this period of possible closer than 2m situations - both people are masked.

Are these private sector workers who returned to work working in as safe as possible environment when indoors? I would imagine so. That's all teachers are asking for. But given this won't be secured as government won't mask up everyone then the vaccine is the only next best thing to keep staff safe. No other workforce in the country are being asked to work in this type of working environment no matter what way you try and dress it up.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: April 06, 2021, 11:55:09 PM »
Older teachers will get vaccinated within their age group and the younger teachers who are lower risk will get vaccinated in due course. Seems like a good approach.

Substandard

• View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: April 07, 2021, 12:03:21 AM »
I'm a teacher.  I would be totally against any form of industrial action now, and I'd bet the vast majority of my colleagues would be the same.
It's yet another PR disasterclass from the unions banging this particular drum.  Create an avenue towards a priority vaccine for at-risk teachers, fair enough,  but the majority just want to get back to doing the job in as normal a fashion as possible.

Teacher bashing is a convenient storyline for the press to field- just throw out the headline,  and let social media do the rest.  Overpaid, lazy, selfish, holidays, afraid to work, wouldn't know a day's work if it headbutted them, retail workers, doctors, nurses, etc, etc. 
Just what is it people want from teachers, that teachers aren't delivering?  With the amount of expert opinion you come across reading comments on an IT article, homeschooling must be the way forward,  because it's blatantly obvious that teachers either can't or won't or don't want to do the job.

If balloted on industrial action, I'll be voting no.  Not because I'm heroic,  or virtue signalling, or whatever.  It doesn't matter anyway, because I'll be accused either way.  And if it comes up with someone I know- someone who maybe hit a home run on facebook with a vitriolic post, or someone who wades in in the comments section, I get the classic backtrack- not all teachers, sure the school is doing everything it can, etc, etc. 
Yeah, me bollix. 
You know the bit that amuses me most, very often these are the very people that'll bang a drum about mental health,  and the impact the covid restrictions will have on mental health and mental health services.  But if it's a teacher's mental health, pity about them- see above,  lazy, holidays, etc, etc.

The teacher bashing narrative then redirects to the impact the greedy, selfish,  lazy teachers' actions and demands will have on pupils.  Primary school is formative, I teach secondary,  so I see adolescence unfold.  Yes, I would be acutely aware of the stress and toll on the mental health of those either sitting in front of me, or logging in for remote learning.  I also see the impact of those with little or no engagement.  I know those that will catch up, and those that will struggle.  I'll do my best, but it won't be good enough,  because I'm lazy, selfish,  overpaid and only interested in the holidays.

When we came back in September, we were told to start softly,  softly, to get the students readjusted, to be mindful of their wellbeing and mental health,  and not to be causing stress.  It seems a lot of that has gone out the window lately.  I don't recall being told to reverse this, but it looks like it's my fault anyway,  because I'm a teacher.

Sorry...