Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2021, 12:50:51 PM
If there is one group who have lost all respectability in this pandemic it's Teachers.

I gave up on teachers during the foot and mouth thing in 2001. It takes a disease/virus to expose these wastards.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Seaney

Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: Seaney on January 04, 2021, 12:42:47 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 12:02:18 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 04, 2021, 11:49:57 AM
Quote from: marty34 on January 04, 2021, 11:45:33 AM
Problem is the comparsion from first lock-down - every family had different experiences.  I know work was laid out on a weekly basis, as a menu i.e. pupils could do it or they didn't have to.  It was a matter of choice (by their parents).  From what I heard, I know some did everything, some did a bit and others never even contacted their teachers to say they were still alive!!

Different reasons for that apparently, some parents wanted routine, others wanted to keep them ticking over while other could'nt have care less about the work.  Another issue was some families had only one computer in house and maybe 3 or 4 kids loiking to use it.  Every situation was different.

At the end of the day, it's up to the parents - they're the main educators in their kids' life.  Not too hard to print off a few sums and a comprehension every day as well as doing a bit of reading.

People always looking to blame somebody else. 

Spend some time with your kids instead of handing them a f'*king X-Box.

If households only have access to 1 computer I have my doubts they have a printer.

While you seem to be getting very defensive Marty, I can assure you work was not laid out on a weekly basis from my experience.

No doubt everywhere was different - Im not apportioning blame - Im telling you factually what happened in my experience

I'd be going to the principal and if it isn't sorted then consider moving the children.

Where to Jim - all schools are closed, and as for trying to meet a teacher or speak to one.  ::)

No they're not. As far as I know we have children in on Thursday and I am back in from Wednesday. Sounds like the schools near you are useless. Where do you live?

Also, I've been contacting parents on class Dojo this morning to check their children's new passwords. A lot of parents have replied. I hadn't one single complaint throughout the whole of lockdown and I'd be pretty confident this next week will be the same.

You must be a great teacher Jim - there is no denying though their is a large section taking the piss, I have contact with folk all over particularly in Belfast through work the conclusion is the same online learning is minimum at best.

Seaney

Quote from: marty34 on January 04, 2021, 01:45:42 PM
Quote from: Seaney on January 04, 2021, 12:44:57 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 04, 2021, 12:14:01 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2021, 11:55:54 AM
Problem is the comparsion from first lock-down - every family had different experiences. I know work was laid out on a weekly basis, as a menu i.e. pupils could do it or they didn't have to.  It was a matter of choice (by their parents).  From what I heard, I know some did everything, some did a bit and others never even contacted their teachers to say they were still alive!!

Different reasons for that apparently, some parents wanted routine, others wanted to keep them ticking over while other could'nt have care less about the work.  Another issue was some families had only one computer in house and maybe 3 or 4 kids loiking to use it.  Every situation was different.

At the end of the day, it's up to the parents - they're the main educators in their kids' life.  Not too hard to print off a few sums and a comprehension every day as well as doing a bit of reading.

You know f**k all lad if you think that bit in bold was done across the board. Cheap shot blaming parents for not educating their children and doing the teachers job for them, most parents are trying to work you know if they are lucky enough t o be able to do that from home. Your post sums up a lot of what is wrong in a section of todays teachers.

If it's not done across all schools, what do you want me to do.  It was done in my kids' school. 

If not, did you contact the school, teacher in class of if secondary school, the head or form class?  You hear people complaining after 6 weeks of no work...well, wee Tommy got no work this past fortnight.  Oh, did you contact the teacher/school?  Ah, no, couldn't do that.  Just went on the gaa forum and complained  on there.  Ah, great idea!!

By the way, parents are the main educators in a child's life - that's f€*king a fact.

Wind your neck in, teachers are uncontactable, do you teach wee Johnny maths, English, Irish, chemistry, biology, physics etc. etc., parents are not responsible for educating their kids, we pay taxes and these pay professionals to be trained to teach them, if they can't be arsed it is not the parents fault.

Did you ring the school you muppet?

Did you email the school?

No, never thought of that.

No Marty I was waiting on a ballbag on the GAABOARD to tell me.  Wind your neck in, teachers are taking the piss, so tell me you never answered do you teach your kids all the subjects within school, you are their great educator, out of interest what age are your kids, suspect as your about 20 not that old?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Online learning is nowhere near the same, its just so bad in many ways-but we are where we are and its better than nothing

tonto1888

Quote from: Seaney on January 04, 2021, 03:01:46 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: Seaney on January 04, 2021, 12:42:47 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 12:02:18 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 04, 2021, 11:49:57 AM
Problem is the comparsion from first lock-down - every family had different experiences.  I know work was laid out on a weekly basis, as a menu i.e. pupils could do it or they didn't have to.  It was a matter of choice (by their parents).  From what I heard, I know some did everything, some did a bit and others never even contacted their teachers to say they were still alive!!

If households only have access to 1 computer I have my doubts they have a printer.

While you seem to be getting very defensive Marty, I can assure you work was not laid out on a weekly basis from my experience.

No doubt everywhere was different - Im not apportioning blame - Im telling you factually what happened in my experience

I'd be going to the principal and if it isn't sorted then consider moving the children.

Where to Jim - all schools are closed, and as for trying to meet a teacher or speak to one.  ::)

No they're not. As far as I know we have children in on Thursday and I am back in from Wednesday. Sounds like the schools near you are useless. Where do you live?

Also, I've been contacting parents on class Dojo this morning to check their children's new passwords. A lot of parents have replied. I hadn't one single complaint throughout the whole of lockdown and I'd be pretty confident this next week will be the same.

You must be a great teacher Jim - there is no denying though their is a large section taking the piss, I have contact with folk all over particularly in Belfast through work the conclusion is the same online learning is minimum at best.

Funnily enough I woke in Belfast, and at other locations throughout the north, and I would say the opposite to you. Also just stuck my head out the window and guess what, the school beside me is open. During the last lockdown there were teachers in everyday. And as for teachers being uncontactable, that's a load of nonsense.

screenexile

Scotland schools are shut... UK going the same it looks like there's big pressure on Weir to pull the pin for January.

At the very minimum the transfer tests need to be knocked on the head!

trailer

The minister and the department don't seem to realise that we parents have to make arrangements. Living on a day to day basis, is the school open? closed? arranging childcare, booking time off work, sorting out online classes, etc, etc it's tiring and fills parents with anxiety. Parents need to know. And Teachers need to help this time unlike the last time when they treated it as an early summer holiday.

imtommygunn

That doesn't just apply to schools. It also applies to businesses. The timeliness of making these decisions is horrendous and you wouldn't get away with that kind of planning in any other career.

JimStynes

Seany, what would be your ideal for online learning? What would it look like?

JimStynes

Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2021, 03:32:45 PM
The minister and the department don't seem to realise that we parents have to make arrangements. Living on a day to day basis, is the school open? closed? arranging childcare, booking time off work, sorting out online classes, etc, etc it's tiring and fills parents with anxiety. Parents need to know. And Teachers need to help this time unlike the last time when they treated it as an early summer holiday.

If the cases keep going up what do you recommend?

Milltown Row2

Wife spent the day uploading videos of her topic, they have to use their own voice as it's better for the students to relate to, will be in work all week with online classes. This is followed by answering emails on questions that arise from the lessons, with tests going ahead (as of now, could change)

what sort of schools are not doing this? Secondary? Primary? Catholic? Protestant? Mixed?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 03:37:01 PM

Make Teachers redundant and send them to the fields to pick fruit and vegetables.
Honestly if the numbers keep rising I can't see Schools reopening. I don't agree with it but I think that is what'll happen. The disparity becomes huge. Some children will have wonderful online learning experiences and others won't. Some children will suffer huge neglect. That's the truth of it.
My own view is that every other avenue should be exhausted before closing schools. Curfews put in place. Strict work from home. Only 1 outing a day exercise or shops. No mixing. And it needs to be enforced.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

My oldest lad is watching my youngest today, no choice, couldn't get near a computer even if he wanted

JimStynes

Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2021, 03:47:33 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 03:37:01 PM

Make Teachers redundant and send them to the fields to pick fruit and vegetables.
Honestly if the numbers keep rising I can't see Schools reopening. I don't agree with it but I think that is what'll happen. The disparity becomes huge. Some children will have wonderful online learning experiences and others won't. Some children will suffer huge neglect. That's the truth of it.
My own view is that every other avenue should be exhausted before closing schools. Curfews put in place. Strict work from home. Only 1 outing a day exercise or shops. No mixing. And it needs to be enforced.

I agree with that. But how do you stop the spread then when you have all those children mixing together? I don't want to work from home or have my class off. I personally will be crawling the walls if schools are closed. It's not like it was in May when the weather was great. There is literally nothing to do and being in school is much better for me and the children in my class.

Smurfy123

Let's be honest teachers don't really give one crap about kids when the knock off.
Fire a few sheets for them to do to keep the thing going
It's an extra holiday for teachers if we call a spade a spade. Well most of them anyway.