Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on August 14, 2020, 07:43:26 PM
Can you give Bs and As in BTech?

Apparently!
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2020, 07:39:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2020, 07:31:40 PM
Here's one for you to debate, didn't know whether to put it in the WTF thread..

A Belfast intergraded school teacher (life long friend) said she got all A.* for her students even though she'd predicted a handful of B's and rest A's... No A*s were predicted

Now it's BTech level but still equivalent to A level grades!
She is intergraded alright.

Integrated!!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

FermGael

A Belfast intergraded school teacher (life long friend) said she got all A.* for her students even though she'd predicted a handful of B's and rest A's... No A*s were predicted

English boards kept results the same by and large for NI pupils
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on August 14, 2020, 07:48:40 PM

English boards kept results the same by and large for NI pupils

I can understand getting same .. but they lifted results from the predicted grades the teacher handed over! Moving a B up to an A*?  I'm not surprised Weir has been saying grades are better this year!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2020, 07:47:23 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 14, 2020, 07:18:44 PM
Every model had its problems.

My solution was also riddled with problems but I'd have done this:

Heads of Depts would have presented their predictions to principals and senior management. They would take it away, look at it, look at all the variables within the school for that cohort and previous years and see if they could professionally, and with integrity, stand over them. Feedback to the HoDs individually and adjust if necessary. Boards spot-check random schools to confirm consistency.

This was close to what happened but it was watered down and the power was left in the hands of non-teaching civil servants to decide.

It's a bit like football club owners dictating who managers should buy.
Have the solution, have ye? You'd lick yerself to death, ye dick.

Sorry, meant suggestion. Also said it's riddled with problems. Apologies for suggesting it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 14, 2020, 09:10:18 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 14, 2020, 07:43:26 PM
Can you give Bs and As in BTech?

No, you can't.

Well whatever way they grade it through their particular awarding body OCR I think, the grades come out at in that fashion. Irrespective of how's it done, some pupils were given lower predictions only for them to be marked higher when handed out yesterday

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on August 14, 2020, 07:18:44 PM
Heads of Depts would have presented their predictions to principals and senior management. They would take it away, look at it, look at all the variables within the school for that cohort and previous years and see if they could professionally, and with integrity, stand over them. Feedback to the HoDs individually and adjust if necessary. Boards spot-check random schools to confirm consistency.

That'd never work.

They simply aren't experienced in or qualified to run statistical modelling of that degree. No slight on them - its just not something they'd ever really do beyond the most basic.
i usse an speelchekor

CK_Redhand

I don't know any pupils but maybe somebody can answer me this. Do pupils know what data their school submitted about them?

If the school won't tell a pupil that info, can a FOI request be made to reveal it, what with GDPR and all? Also could the student submit a request to CCEA and they might then possibly have to release more info about the model?

CK_Redhand

Quote from: hardstation on August 15, 2020, 10:03:32 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 15, 2020, 09:54:43 PM
I don't know any pupils but maybe somebody can answer me this. Do pupils know what data their school submitted about them?

If the school won't tell a pupil that info, can a FOI request be made to reveal it, what with GDPR and all? Also could the student submit a request to CCEA and they might then possibly have to release more info about the model?
They shouldn't, I don't think. Teachers (at least some) have been told that discussing predicted grades or rank order with pupils/parents could be centre malpractice.

Hmm various principals, teachers and pupils have talked openly to the press in the last couple of days with specific examples of predicted grades. St Cecilia's principal identified 3 pupils predicted grade and ranking.

ONeill

I think it was not allowed to be discussed before the results came out.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Not allowed before but all students were given their results by their teachers if they wanted..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 15, 2020, 10:20:47 PM
Warned off it til further direction was given this week.

My daughters school had a appeal system that you could email straight away and given your result they gave you.. a few kids have appealed already and from speaking to her, they were changed

Estimator

BBC News - GCSEs: Results will be 'solely based on teacher predictions'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53802428
Ulster League Champions 2009

FermGael

Quote from: Estimator on August 17, 2020, 07:39:16 AM

That's great news.
But the A Level mess has not been sorted.
Assembly will be recalled over it and it seems even Dup MLAs are supporting the recall.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

delgany

Quote from: Estimator on August 17, 2020, 07:39:16 AM

Pressure mounting on Minister Weird and CEA