Author Topic: The Horse racing thread  (Read 817901 times)

Taylor

• View Profile
Re: The Horse racing thread
« Reply #9750 on: March 05, 2021, 07:51:02 PM »
That sentence fits the crime in my view. His reputation has taken a hard knock, but he will eventually be able to rebuild his equine empire. I haven't met a man who hasn't made a mistake and I'm glad he wasn't punished for life. There are people running about in society who have done an awful lot worse.

The next question is what action will the BHRB take now that the IRB has shown their hand.

Im baffled by what the BHRB need to do now - surely they just ban him in the UK as well?

It wasnt in their jurisdiction and the IRB have made a decision - that should be it.

The BHRB have many other scandals they should be looking into

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: March 05, 2021, 08:35:07 PM »
BHA got what they wanted. An immediate ban, rather than the usual Irish way of ban starts in 2 weeks time. So while they can change the ban from a British purpose, they usually accept the Irish punishment, so hopefully thatís the case here.

The IHRB findings was well written, no BS or legalese, explains why the ban wasnít longer or shorter. A fair but firm decision.

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: March 05, 2021, 09:10:01 PM »
BHA got what they wanted. An immediate ban, rather than the usual Irish way of ban starts in 2 weeks time. So while they can change the ban from a British purpose, they usually accept the Irish punishment, so hopefully thatís the case here.

The IHRB findings was well written, no BS or legalese, explains why the ban wasnít longer or shorter. A fair but firm decision.
Yeah wouldn't put anything past them but seems unlikely they'll deviate too much from that. Maybe no suspension and start date of ban to eliminate him from next years Cheltenham festival too?
It'd be a nice two fingers to the O'Learys as well, force them to consider moving a few horses.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:14:45 PM by Look-Up! »

Rich Ricci

• View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: March 05, 2021, 09:22:39 PM »
Iíd be surprised if they added anything extra onto it. Ultimately they didnít want him having runners at Cheltenham this year and theyíve got that. Iíd like to hope that a line could be drawn under this and when the suspension is over Gordon can comeback and start doing what he does best but Iím not sure that will happen in some racing circles and the wider public.

Rumour has it that Denise Foster is going to take over the licence of his yard in the mean time.

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: March 05, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
The IHRB believe the picture is part of a campaign against Gordon Elliott. That's one hell of a reach unless they provide the evidence to support this view. Do they know why the photo was released?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ihrb_ie/status/1367891076095311877/photo/3

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: March 06, 2021, 07:09:17 AM »
The IHRB believe the picture is part of a campaign against Gordon Elliott. That's one hell of a reach unless they provide the evidence to support this view. Do they know why the photo was released?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ihrb_ie/status/1367891076095311877/photo/3

Did you read this thread for the last week. There is zero question there was someone who put up stuff about Elliott in a concerted effort to damage Elliott. The Twitter account that was the source of the information (and disinformation) has now been deleted.

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: March 06, 2021, 09:41:44 AM »
He still did it though. I've no interest in racing but for me he was lucky it was only 6 months. I'd have given him the full year. His first statement was embarrassing and for me made things worse. At least the apology from the other lad Rob James was believable and probably came from the lad himself. Gordon Elliott's sounded like something a PR agency would tell you to put out

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: March 06, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »
Nobody said he didnít do it!
His first statement was poor.
He didnít commit a crime, he didnít commit animal cruelty, he did something that clearly was terrible for horse racing.
As outlined in the judgement, there was no reason or excuse for this behaviour.
As outlined in the judgement, there was a whole host of considerations as to why part of the sentence is suspended.
 It was not worth taking down his whole yard and putting his staff out of work.
The Brits have also accepted and duplicated the punishment, Elliott is not appealing.
Firm but fair sentence. Exactly what was required.