Your Favourite Irish songs

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 18, 2008, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2008, 06:59:24 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 21, 2008, 06:54:30 PM

Even in the live at the point album - people start to clap at the start of Casey - and he (rather gently by his standards) asks them not to.

Not to be pedantic..but its at the start of Knock he tells people not to clap...
"I spent two days writing this will ye ever listen to it,Its not shaggin Dire Straits ye have here"

Thats the first live at the point album

Im talking about the latest one.

But thanks. :D

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 21, 2008, 07:03:21 PM

Even in the live at the point album - people start to clap at the start of Casey - and he (rather gently by his standards) asks them not to.

Not to be pedantic..but its at the start of Knock he tells people not to clap...
"I spent two days writing this will ye ever listen to it,Its not shaggin Dire Straits ye have here"

Well you never said which..... >:(
I actually didn't know there was a second live at the point album
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Well I suspect the people will vote with their feet. Me, Id still go to see him.

You only have to look at his last 2 albums to see where he is at really with regards to the music he's wanting to play.

LIve at Vicar Street, Burning times, and the new live at the point album - with almost not a lively one (by the standards of Christy moore that most people came to know him for).

It could be worse - he could be the brother and decide not to play a song that was requested by the crowd, even though its on his set list!

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2008, 07:09:51 PM

Oh yes I did. :D

For me its the quintessential Christy album.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 21, 2008, 07:12:21 PM
Well I suspect the people will vote with their feet. Me, Id still go to see him.

You only have to look at his last 2 albums to see where he is at really with regards to the music he's wanting to play.

LIve at Vicar Street, Burning times, and the new live at the point album - with almost not a lively one (by the standards of Christy moore that most people came to know him for).

It could be worse - he could be the brother and decide not to play a song that was requested by the crowd, even though its on his set list!

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2008, 07:09:51 PM

Oh yes I did. :D

For me its the quintessential Christy album.

Oh I see now....Well I was half right  :-[
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

thejuice

Thought I'd put this in here. Primordial have been slogging it away since the late 80's putting out some absolutely classic albums and I know I harp on and on about them but They really should be given greater recognition in this country given what they achieve abroad. They got a mention in the Irish Times and while it is a poor piece journalism its nice to see that the media here are starting to pay attention.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0512/1224296753555.html

QuoteIT HAS taken 24 years, seven albums and multiple changes of personnel, but finally Irish heavy metal band Primordial have had international chart success.

Their new album Redemption at the Puritan's Hand charted at No 31 in the German album charts, Europe's biggest music market. They also charted in metal-mad Finland, Sweden and Switzerland. On the other side of the pond, they reached No 1 in the metal download charts in Canada and top five in the Billboard newcomers chart in the United States.

The antithesis of Eurovision entrants Jedward, who achieved instant fame and celebrity through X-Factor , the group have travelled a long road after starting out as teenagers in Skerries, north Dublin, in a thrash metal cover band in the late 1980s. They've kept the dream alive since, even while working part-time to supplement their music income.

Their success is remarkable given that they inhabit the more extreme fringes of the genre and have been described variously as black metal, doom metal or pagan metal. Lead singer Alan "Nemtheanga" Averill (36) said they were being rewarded for their refusal to compromise their sound and for their live performances.

"For some reason we just keep getting bigger and bigger. You are witnessing what once were underground metal bands all over the world charting more because metal fans tend to be a bit less transient than fans of other types of music."

The band have a small but loyal following in Ireland, but have struggled because of the absence of a well-developed scene and a lack of exposure in mainstream media.

Averill has just graduated from DCU with a degree in journalism having originally trained as an engineer.

"I'm sure we're selling more records than the Coronas worldwide, but you won't see us on any magazine covers in Ireland. It is just a complete lack of respect," he said.

"In Scandinavia rock and metal is accepted simply as part of society not as a sub-culture pushed to the periphery as it is in Ireland. Somewhere along the line, rock became deeply unsexy here."

Needless to say they will not be watching the Eurovision tonight. "Jedward is a celebration of banality and talentlessness," said Averill.

Their new song Bloodied Yet Unbowed is a brilliant slow burning anthem. Their songs take a few listens to really get into be worth taking the extra time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb92nw_FF08
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 18, 2008, 05:33:07 PM
QuoteCall me Blue - A House

Great bloody tune...

Favourite Band of all time
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

seafoid

Rainy night in Soho -  Pogues
Natives  - Christy Moore
Bad........ U2
Mo Ghile Mear-  Trad
Caoineadh na dTri Mhuire-  Trad
Troy-  Sinead O Connor
Horse Outside Rubber Bandits
The Pilgrim - Iarla O Lionaird 
Celebrate –an emotional fish
Saints and Sinners –Paddy Casey

5 Sams

Rocks of Bawn - Paul Brady Version with Liam óg on the pipes
The Aristocrat Years

Dún Dún

Black rose - thin lizzy
Lonesome boatman - fureys
Mcverrys men - fureys
Hills round dunloy - Irish brigade
Four green fields - Kathleen largey
Little musgrave - christy Moore
Sunday bloody Sunday - u2
Change in your demeanour - chieftans
The Ould triangle - Luke Kelly
Man from the daily mail medley - Irish brigade

Lecale2

The Angelus on RTE 6.00pm. Always brings a tear to the eye. Great tune as well.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2008, 08:52:19 PM
I'd say most have been mentioned already:

- And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda: Makem and Clancy (written by a Scotsman - does this count?)
- Only Our Rivers Run Free: James Last (really works best as an instrumental, gets rid of some twee lyrics)
- Raglan Road: Sinead O'Connor (all the mad one's madness is worth it for this interpretation)
- Rocky Road to Dublin: The Dubliners (I can keep up with him for the first 6 lines, then I need to breathe)
- Lonesome Boatman: The Fureys and Davey Arthur (stunning)

I love a good version of Carrickfergus too, but can't thing of a memorable recorded version. It's almost a song that sounds better when being sung by a drunk old man.

But the greatest Irish song, for me, is Paul Brady's intrepretation of Arthur McBride. It is mesmerising stuff.

Van Morrison and The Chieftains do some version of it on Celtic Heartbeat album

heganboy

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on May 12, 2011, 09:21:14 PM

I love a good version of Carrickfergus too, but can't thing of a memorable recorded version. It's almost a song that sounds better when being sung by a drunk old man.

Brian Kennedy does a great versin of Carrickfergus, and completely differently so does Christy Moore
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

BarryBreensBandage

Folk sing off:

If you could be bothered, please listen to the three following versions of 'Rocky Road to Dublin' and let me know which one you prefer - I am interested in peoples' opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P4bD2L0FFo&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgd6p2C84-k&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QdbeM2JWYE

Orangemac

Golden Horde with Maria McKee - Friends In Time