Your Favourite Irish songs

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 18, 2008, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

wikipedia?  :D ;D

My next door neighbour is more reliable than wikipedia  ::)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

The Real Laoislad

Heard this on the wireless today,hadn't heard it in a long time...Excellent stuff and quite relevant in the current situation we find ourselves in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsmAMKUIXbE
You'll Never Walk Alone.

SidelineKick

Was at a Christy gig a few weeks back and was thinking the same myself when he sang that! Great song.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2008, 06:16:07 PM
Heard this on the wireless today,hadn't heard it in a long time...Excellent stuff and quite relevant in the current situation we find ourselves in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsmAMKUIXbE

Nothing ordinary about a man who is apparently over in England watching british soccer most of the year  ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: SidelineKick on November 21, 2008, 06:20:44 PM
Was at a Christy gig a few weeks back and was thinking the same myself when he sang that! Great song.

He is great live,where did he play?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

SidelineKick

Ive seen him a few times and he was always great. This time was in Silverbridge GAA clubhouse.  Was very disappointed  :( it really just seemed like he wanted to get the songs sung and get out of there as soon as he could.  Anyone I spoke to after it got the same impression. Disappointing to say the least when I have seen him performing brilliantly!

Reported.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: SidelineKick on November 21, 2008, 06:36:14 PM
Ive seen him a few times and he was always great. This time was in Silverbridge GAA clubhouse.  Was very disappointed  :( it really just seemed like he wanted to get the songs sung and get out of there as soon as he could.  Anyone I spoke to after it got the same impression. Disappointing to say the least when I have seen him performing brilliantly!

Silverbridge isn't that where pints is from?
I wouldn't blame Christy so  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Silverbridge GAA house doesnt seem like a typical Christy venue. What was the crowd like? He's gotten even more into losing himself in the music recently.

SidelineKick

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2008, 06:37:37 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on November 21, 2008, 06:36:14 PM

Silverbridge isn't that where pints is from?
I wouldn't blame Christy so  ;)

:D fair point!

No its not his usual type of venue but I know a few who went to this same thign 2 years ago and said he was brilliant then.  Some of them were at the one this year too and they felt the way I did. 800 sold out, a few gobsh1tes doing the usual shouting out and it is very clear christy's patience (if he ever had any) has worn very thin.  Minimal reactions to crowd, no banter, no quick intro to a song as to what it means / why he sings it.  Very little of any of that.  Sang all the songs great but he normally provides a bit more entertainment.

Reported.

balladmaker

QuoteHe's gotten even more into losing himself in the music recently.

Loosing himself in the music....don't start me about CM.  He needs to remember where he came from and who put him where he is today.....the people who pay the £30 a ticket in to see him.

Puckoon

Well maybe thats being a bit generous to him. He is very set in his ways concerning how he thinks an audience should be. At this stage there'll be no changing him.

Im inclined to believe he's had too many magic nights in the lobby bar, and expects them all to be like that.

He's no longer the man for the DTs or welcome to the cabaret with the whole place stomping their feet and clapping. I suspect he never really was.

balladmaker

I heard the exact same comment said about him in the Millennium Forum the other night, that it was like he couldn't wait to get off stage.  He needs to chill out a bit and have a bit more respect for those who take the bother to pay £30+ in these times to see him perform.

Puckoon

Well I suspect the people will vote with their feet. Me, Id still go to see him.

You only have to look at his last 2 albums to see where he is at really with regards to the music he's wanting to play.

LIve at Vicar Street, Burning times, and the new live at the point album - with almost not a lively one (by the standards of Christy moore that most people came to know him for).

Even in the live at the point album - people start to clap at the start of Casey - and he (rather gently by his standards) asks them not to.

It could be worse - he could be the brother and decide not to play a song that was requested by the crowd, even though its on his set list!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 21, 2008, 06:54:30 PM

Even in the live at the point album - people start to clap at the start of Casey - and he (rather gently by his standards) asks them not to.

Not to be pedantic..but its at the start of Knock he tells people not to clap...
"I spent two days writing this will ye ever listen to it,Its not shaggin Dire Straits ye have here"
You'll Never Walk Alone.