Your Favourite Irish songs

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 18, 2008, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: emainmacha on October 18, 2008, 08:37:06 PM
Someone said "Will ya go lassie go"  was a scottish song, twas the father of the McPeake's from Belfast who wrote it, though some say he used an old scottish song as the base for it, but when looked at words and listened to the air of the scottish one, I thought they  weren't very alike but that's so long ago can't even remember its name now.
Rod Stewart was well caught out by assuming that it was a scottish song too, put it on an ablum with "Trad scottish by anon" when McPeakes who hold copyright contacted his Publisher they had to recall them all.
Wouldn't mind having one of the albums, say they be worth a few quid because of rarity value.

It was Francie McPeake senior who wrote it.

It is one of the most recorded songs ever as far as I'm led to believe... would you believe the McPeake's though?  ;)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

thewobbler

I'd say most have been mentioned already:

- And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda: Makem and Clancy (written by a Scotsman - does this count?)
- Only Our Rivers Run Free: James Last (really works best as an instrumental, gets rid of some twee lyrics)
- Raglan Road: Sinead O'Connor (all the mad one's madness is worth it for this interpretation)
- Rocky Road to Dublin: The Dubliners (I can keep up with him for the first 6 lines, then I need to breathe)
- Lonesome Boatman: The Fureys and Davey Arthur (stunning)

I love a good version of Carrickfergus too, but can't thing of a memorable recorded version. It's almost a song that sounds better when being sung by a drunk old man.

But the greatest Irish song, for me, is Paul Brady's intrepretation of Arthur McBride. It is mesmerising stuff.

Lecale2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2008, 08:52:19 PM

But the greatest Irish song, for me, is Paul Brady's intrepretation of Arthur McBride. It is mesmerising stuff.

I've never agreed with anything posted by the wobbler before but there's a first time for everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx529g

emainmacha

if believe McPeakes or not they got the copyright so must be a right wee earner, can feel me jealousy gene kicking in  :o

MaroonAndWhite

Rocky took a lover -  BellX1
Irish Post - Saw Doctors
Rocky Road to Dublin -  The Dubliners
No Brakes - Declan O'Rouke
Mountan Dew - The Dubliners
The Parting Glass - Ronnie Drew
Hiroshima Nagasaki Russian Roulette - Moving Hearts
Love & Confusion - MundyThe Starof the County Down - The Pogues
To win just once -  Saw Doctors
Galway & Mayo -  Saw Doctors
Bad - U2
Brewing up a storm - The Stunning

maggie

not sure if its Irish or not but I always loved Rattling Bog

downgirl

A song I first heard at scór...love it

John Condon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-db-DaEk6Eg&feature=related

Mac hinery

carnaross

Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Newbridge Exile

1)Arclight -Fat lady Sings
2)Celebrate--An Emotional Fish
3)The Island --Paul Brady

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on October 19, 2008, 11:55:12 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 18, 2008, 08:46:18 PM
Someone said "Will ya go lassie go"  was a scottish song, twas the father of the McPeake's from Belfast who wrote it, though some say he used an old scottish song as the base for it, but when looked at words and listened to the air of the scottish one, I thought they  weren't very alike but that's so long ago can't even remember its name now.
Rod Stewart was well caught out by assuming that it was a scottish song too, put it on an ablum with "Trad scottish by anon" when McPeakes who hold copyright contacted his Publisher they had to recall them all.
Wouldn't mind having one of the albums, say they be worth a few quid because of rarity value.

I cannot back this up but I believe that that is pish. It's a Scottish song, without doubt.
Wrong!

I can get proof Francie Senior wrote it.  Can you get proof it's a Scottish song?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Donagh

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 20, 2008, 11:15:09 AM
Quote from: hardstation on October 19, 2008, 11:55:12 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 18, 2008, 08:46:18 PM

I cannot back this up but I believe that that is pish. It's a Scottish song, without doubt.
Wrong!

I can get proof Francie Senior wrote it.  Can you get proof it's a Scottish song?

There was a documentary on the radio about it last year and they were definitely crediting it to McPeake. One of the sons was also on to say the same.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on October 20, 2008, 11:05:46 PM
Francie claiming it and Francie writing it are two very different things. Not to be trusted.
What an absolutely stupid thing to say about him.

Again I will ask, do you have proof it's a Scottish song as you claim?

I have proof Francie senior wrote it and it's not from any of the McPeakes

balladmaker

I've always thought Francie McPeake to be the author also.  Billy Connolly also attributed it McPeake on one of his World Tour TV shows.  There must be some truth to it.