a fry a day......

Started by supersarsfields, June 18, 2008, 10:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 19, 2008, 01:30:37 PM
Quote from: stephenite on June 19, 2008, 07:56:18 AM
Any good spots for decent Guinness in Sydney while we're on the subject Bod or RGS? The Welcome in Rozelle has great stout

The Guinness is the Welcome is savage alright. Had a few lovely pints there after work one evening and bringing a gang of us out there for a Guinness day one of the weekends.
The Porter House in Surry Hills is good too but I don't tend to try places unless I've heard its good because tis wrank in most places.

PorterHouse is good for Guinness,I use to rent a room above it so was in it every night..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bod Mor

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 19, 2008, 03:01:44 PM
Any good spots for decent Guinness in Sydney while we're on the subject Bod or RGS? The Welcome in Rozelle has great stout

The Guinness is the Welcome is savage alright. Had a few lovely pints there after work one evening and bringing a gang of us out there for a Guinness day one of the weekends.
The Porter House in Surry Hills is good too but I don't tend to try places unless I've heard its good because tis wrank in most places.

PorterHouse is good for Guinness,I use to rent a room above it so was in it every night..

I usually head into the Porterhouse on Sunday evenings and the Guinness there in the last month has been shocking. I'm much more tempted by the $5 pints of Bulmers these days though.

Guinness in the welcome is as good as you'll get in Sydney. I try to go there as often as I can. The next best I think is the mercantile, but they don't serve it in pints the fools!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Bod Mor on June 19, 2008, 11:46:39 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 19, 2008, 03:01:44 PM

I usually head into the Porterhouse on Sunday evenings and the Guinness there in the last month has been shocking. I'm much more tempted by the $5 pints of Bulmers these days though.

Guinness in the welcome is as good as you'll get in Sydney. I try to go there as often as I can. The next best I think is the mercantile, but they don't serve it in pints the fools!

$5 pints of Bulmers in Porter House! Sh*t I never knew that. I'll be taking advantage of that sharpish. I presume you mean Bulmers/Magners and not the English Bulmers?
Had Guinness in the Porter House a couple of weeks ago and found it grand but it can be hit and miss I guess.
Think I had a few nice pints in PJ's one evening but it wasn't that busy, another story I'd say when she's jammers
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Lads, had some savage pints of Guinness here in my local and then my favourite pub in the town last Saturday. It was just superb. I wouldn't drink Guinness in most pubs here cos its poor in a lot of places so my heart goes out to ye drinking the slops ye have to put up with over there.

Hardy

Is it possible to get a decent pint in Dublin anymore? In the course of Sunday night/all day and night on Monday, I hardly got one properly pulled pint. Mostly they were topped up within 20-30 seconds of the first pull, tasted sloppy, were either served with a Christian Brother head or worse, a concave, dipping head and often the head had disappeared before the pint was finished. I've given up complaining because you'd never get a pint at all if you sent back every badly pulled one you got.

This included even the formerly reliable International - worst slop in the whole session. Even Mulligans was dishing them up way too fast, though as far as I remember they tasted OK, but my judgment wasn't the best by that stage.

guy crouchback

on the whole the standard of Guinness has improved dramatically outside of Dublin in the last 10 years. since Guinness introduced the quality control team going to every pub you rarely get really bad pints anymore.
having said that you also rarely get really good pints either although i thing this is because the standard has levelled off.

Dublin city centre on the other hand is a disgrace. there was a time that to get a great pint of Guinness you needed to go to Dublin.  but now the pubs don't give a shit and as other posters have said they  will fire any old slops at you.

magpie seanie

Hardy - The Gravediggers in Glasnevin is my go to pub in Dublin for Guinness. I noticed Mulligans demise a couple of years ago and a sad loss it is. The staff just feck it out though to be fair as you said it still does taste pretty good. I had a few other places that did good pints but its a couple of years since I drank in them so possibly they've gone by the wayside too.

Its amazing the difference I notice between places. And then you have plenty of folk who will tell you there is no difference.  ??? ??? ???

ONeill

Weekend fat binges 'damage health'

The saturated fat "binge culture" enjoyed by Britons every weekend is leading to potentially serious health problems, according to experts.

A survey of 11,000 households including about 25,000 people found their typical weekend diets contained saturated fat at levels well above recommended guidelines, the study for Unilever found.

A weekend fry-up with buttered toast and a cappuccino contains 33.7g of saturated fat. The recommended daily limit of saturated fat is 30g for men and 20g for women.

The study found consumption of saturated fat could increase to 61g for men and 33g for women on weekend days.

High levels of saturated fat can raise blood cholesterol, particularly low density lipoprotein cholesterol, which is a risk factor for coronary heart disease.

Coronary heart disease is the UK's biggest killer, with one in every four men, and one in every six women dying from the disease. Approximately 300,000 people have a heart attack in the UK each year.

Dietician Sian Porter said: "The results suggest a serious lack of awareness among the public about how much saturated fat they consume on a daily basis and a lack of knowledge concerning the need to reduce their overall consumption.

"The statistics are, at best, conservative, so the real picture of the Sat Fataday binge weekend could be dramatically worse."

The average 40-year-old man consumes 61g of saturated fat on a weekend day from a diet including buttered toast (11.6g), a cheese sandwich (11g) sausage roll (11g), pizza (18g) and chips (15g), chocolate (9.8g), crisps (2.6g) and a full-fat milky coffee (2.6g), according to the study.

An average woman of the same age eats more than 30g of saturated fat on a weekend day - 50% more than guidelines advise - on food such as a croissant (11.7g), buttered jam and toast (11.6g), beans on buttered toast (11.6g), pizza (18g), chips (15g), ice cream (5.7g) and cake (9.8g).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Feck sake ONeill, was just about to have a fry.
Testing Accessibility

SouthArmaghBandit

I have a fry every Saturday and Sunday. I wouldn't give it up for anything. After a week living on my wifes cooking I reckon I've earned it by the weekend.

rolloutking

Is it possible to get a decent pint in Dublin anymore? In the course of Sunday night/all day and night on Monday, I hardly got one properly pulled pint. Mostly they were topped up within 20-30 seconds of the first pull, tasted sloppy, were either served with a Christian Brother head or worse, a concave, dipping head and often the head had disappeared before the pint was finished. I've given up complaining because you'd never get a pint at all if you sent back every badly pulled one you got.

This included even the formerly reliable International - worst slop in the whole session. Even Mulligans was dishing them up way too fast, though as far as I remember they tasted OK, but my judgment wasn't the best by that stage.

on the whole the standard of Guinness has improved dramatically outside of Dublin in the last 10 years. since Guinness introduced the quality control team going to every pub you rarely get really bad pints anymore.
having said that you also rarely get really good pints either although i thing this is because the standard has levelled off.

Dublin city centre on the other hand is a disgrace. there was a time that to get a great pint of Guinness you needed to go to Dublin.  but now the pubs don't give a shit and as other posters have said they  will fire any old slops at you.

Jesus Christ listen to the Alcohol Connoisseurs. Theres nothing that annoys me more than punters who reckon they know everything about how a pint should be pulled. A pint of Guinness should only take 2 minutes from when you start it to the when the punter has their first drink and it doesn't even have to be pulled in two goes any more so quit fc uking squealing. If the head goes before you get to the bottom its usually a problem with the tap and nothing to do the barman.  Thats what the Guinness Quality Control Team are for.

Quoteor worse, a concave, dipping head

Sure when you take your first drink the concave head will have gone anyway and will be a concave dipping head due to the laws of physics and how liquids settle in a glass

Don't knark so much and you might find that the bar staff will be a lot more accommodating cos we get paid the same whether you like your pint or not.

Hardy

I think I know you. Were you pulling pints in the International last Monday?
You're a perfect facsimile of the latest generation of Dublin barmen anyway -
know nothing and care less about how to pull a pint, don't give a shite whether
your customers are satisfied or not and regard anyone who has the temerity to
demand what they're paying for as "knarking", whatever that is.

rolloutking

Quoteknow nothing and care less about how to pull a pint

Tell me then how do I know nothing then you clown?

I suppose you reckon you know it all then considering you think you know who I am?

Hardy

This conversation is over.

maddog

Quote from: rolloutking on June 28, 2008, 09:41:32 PM

Jesus Christ listen to the Alcohol Connoisseurs. Theres nothing that annoys me more than punters who reckon they know everything about how a pint should be pulled. A pint of Guinness should only take 2 minutes from when you start it to the when the punter has their first drink and it doesn't even have to be pulled in two goes any more so quit fc uking squealing. If the head goes before you get to the bottom its usually a problem with the tap and nothing to do the barman.  Thats what the Guinness Quality Control Team are for.

Quoteor worse, a concave, dipping head

Sure when you take your first drink the concave head will have gone anyway and will be a concave dipping head due to the laws of physics and how liquids settle in a glass

Don't knark so much and you might find that the bar staff will be a lot more accommodating cos we get paid the same whether you like your pint or not.

And there is nothing that annoys me more than fecking clowns that will take any aul slop set up to them. Pints in Dublin have gone to f**k. Fact.