Armagh v Down- 29th June-Ulster Semi Final Thread

Started by Whacker, June 17, 2008, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: southdown on June 24, 2008, 03:54:17 PM
Exactly, Howard, Rafferty or McCartan would all badly struggle.  Maybe Ross will drop someone like Murphy in front of the FB line.  Our FB line is by far our major weakness, I fear what Clarke and McDonnell could do.

McComiskey has to start, simple as.

I think this would be a foolish ploy! - The way to beat Armagh is attack them! IMO

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 24, 2008, 03:56:00 PM
QuoteAll the talk is who is going to pick up Benny but who is going to mark Messrs Clarke and Mc Donnell

Sure Down aren't going to be worrying about a team like Armagh, whoever the Mourne men play will be well fit for anybody the Orchard county have. After all, Down have won five All Ireland's and Armagh only have one. That's all that matters.

And you forgot to mention that they have already beat the best in Ulster. ??? ???

corn02

Quote from: southdown on June 24, 2008, 12:22:48 PM
After watching the Cavan game, and in particular the preformance of Martin O Rourke, I think its vital that players such as Murtagh and Sexton really step up to the mark and be counted on Sunday, as breaking ball will be key to this game.  If MOR is able to win as much possession as he did against Cavan Down will struggle badly.

I tohught Marty had one of his poorer games against Cavan, expecting a lot more on Sunday.

Uladh

MOR won very little break ball against cavan compared to his norm.

Coulter was playing centre half forward against tyrone iin the replay.

Down don't have anyone capable of marking either McDonnell or Clarke...

DownFanatic

Down really dont have a suitable marking duo for McDonnell and Clarke. Id expect Howard to pick up McDonnell while McCartan is probably better suited to Clarke.
To be honest Id be happy enough to let Clarke and McDonnell tear away. Id be confident in our middle diamond winning enough possession to supply our forwards with enough ball to win the game by 3 or 4 points.
No matter who they are up against, Clarke and McDonnell are going to get big scores. If McCartan and Howard can niggle and make things awkward for them then that would be all the better.

My Starting Down XV for Sunday

1. B.McVeigh
2. L.Howard
3. D.McCartan
4. D.Rafferty
5. P.Murphy
6. L.Doyle
7. A.Carr
8. D.Gordon
9. A.Rodgers
10. R.Sexton
11. R.Murtagh
12. D.Hughes
13. J.Clarke
14. B.Coulter
15. P.McComiskey

Tyrone Dreamer

Has the makings of a very good game and I'm sure there'll be a big crowd there to watch it. The midfield area is crucial in this game. Down beat Tyrone because they were able to dominate that area. I think they have the potential to at least break even against Armagh there to. There forwards are dangerous and they could put up a decent score and like any Down team they are much better when their confidence is high. My big worry for Down would be if they struggle and dont win the midfield battle. The full back line is bad and were lucky that Tyrone didnt get the ball up the field for long periods. I'm not sure if they've got a defender to mark McDonnell. A half decent day would help Down, if its wet Armagh will win.

balladmaker

Quoteif its wet Armagh will win

That's that then....forecast for the whole weekend is rain, rain and more rain.

The venue factor should not be underestimated.  It is virtually a home venue for Armagh over the last 9 years or so, and it is a place they have had their fair share of success.

Irrespective of weather, venue etc., I predict Armagh to win easing off with a few points to spare.  I think Armagh have the stronger backbone of a team and the forwards who will undoubtedly rack up a fair score.  Arguably Armagh's strongest line, the full forward line, is coming up against arguably Down's weakest line, their full back line, it could be a torrid day for the Down backs.  At the other end, I expect Coulter to be pretty anonymous, that's what Armagh teams tend to do to the big name forwards from the opposition.  Midfield should be 50/50 with Armagh expected to hoover up the majority of the break ball.  That's my opinion anyway....

downgirl

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes ticketmaster to send out the tickets?  Considering I ordered them on Thursday evening? 

In the Onion Bag

I am going to the match as a proud Down man.  I am already satisfied because our boys wiill be pleased to for the chance to grace the same pitch as these Arma greats.  After all look at Arma's achievements?

Down cannot realistically expect to match McGrane in midfield, McDonnell and Clarke upfront and wow betide us if Francie starts in defense.  We should just satisfy ourselves by enjoying our day out, enjoy a few beers, the craic and bask in the reflective glow of the Arma titans as they steam roller over us.  Look what Arma's achievements since history began in 2002 (or was it 03 - doesn't matter, a flash in the pan really).

To be well trashed and by this superior Arma team is an honour and right we have earned so we should be glad of it.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ps: I plan to take a detour on the way home and stop at the Cross to congratulate Arma on their fine win.  Maybe meet a few of you there for a friendly pint?

balladmaker

QuoteDoes anyone know roughly how long it takes ticketmaster to send out the tickets?  Considering I ordered them on Thursday evening? 

I'd have thought you should have had them by now as Ticketmaster are usually pretty prompt.  Give them to Thursday and get on the phone if they haven't arrived.

thewobbler

Random points.

Sunday will be interesting to see what sort of mental attitude Armagh have. I keep reading on another thread that Ulster titles no longer mean anything to these boys, but at the back of their minds they surely must know that there isn't an All Ireland in their team this year. This has to play on their minds in terms of motivation. On top of this, having not had a rivalry with them for years, do they even 'hate' Down anymore? Much like Tyrone against Down, Armagh couldn't be faulted for effort against Cavan, but the intensity of a few years ago wasn't there. The bloody mindedness and cockiness aren't seemingly as evident.

I would never, ever wish an injury on a player, but it would be very interesting to see how Armagh might adapt should either Clarke or McDonnell have to come off. Uladh or someone might be able to reel off real stats, but it seems to me that when one or the other has been missing in the past 3 seasons has correlated directly with indistinguished Armagh performances.

I sincerely hope that Ronan Murtagh and Ciaran McKeever line up as far away from each other as possible. Neither is likely to finish the game if they're in direct opposition.

As well as being better players than their direct opponents, Down's half-back line has a distinct aeriel advantage over Armagh's half-forward line. I would wager a week's wages that McVeigh's first 10 kick-outs will head towards Gordon (and why wouldn't they?), but this is a useful back-up plan. Armagh's defence is much stronger than Down's. We might need 60%+ possession at midfield to break even on the scoreboard.

Martin O'Rourke will, I imagine, be found spending quite a bit of this game standing in front of Benny Coulter. I'd suggest we do likewise with Murtagh or Sexton at the other end. Where Clarke and McDonnell are most dangerous of all is that they instinctively know how to time their runs and break the ball to each other...almost inevitably leading to goals. Just one more body back there, even if it has to be a forward, should be worth at least 3 points in Down's favour.

Pangurban

What a pity that Down wasted their time and energies winning All Irelands at the old bog football game. If like Armagh we had spent our time in the wilderness, inventing and perfecting the art of real football, we would now be worthy of respect and not bit part actors at Clones, gasping in awe at the sublime skills of our neighbours. But its never to late to learn, so come from every hamlet in Down, pay close attention As Bellew and Co. treat us to a demonstration of modern gaelic football and the skills required to succeed at it. What a wonderful privelege and opportunity for us to acquire the basics to hand on to our children. Maybe some day in the distant future, they too will be counted among the greats

Red And Black Army

Quote from: balladmaker on June 24, 2008, 08:51:55 PM
I expect Coulter to be pretty anonymous, that's what Armagh teams tend to do to the big name forwards from the opposition. 

Someone should have mentioned that to Kieran Donaghy  :D

Armamike

There's some God awful efforts at 'banter' on this thread.

I'd expect Down to be fired up for this game off the back of the Tyrone win and to be full of buzz and running early on.  Wouldn't be surprised if they build up a healthy lead early on. But if Armagh can get a foothold around the middle and break even here, then that should be enough for a win as imo Armagh's forwards best line (full forward) will do a bit of damage to Down's worst (full-back). I'd like to see Charlie Vernon build on his performance against Cavan, and with a bit more belief in himself run at the Down defence and open things up for Clarke and O'Donnell. If things aren't going Armagh's way there are a few options to spring from the bench and i hope that Peter McDonnell won't be afraid to make the necessary switches. This is another big test for Armagh's new management and it will be interesting to see how he performs if the pressure is on.

That's just, like your opinion man.

full back

Would expect Mallon to mark Coulter if he is in the full forward line, but if he moves out the field as he did against Tyrone Mc Keever should pick him up. Coulter will get the ball regardless of who is on him, but it is just a case of trying to limit his scoring chances - much the same as Mc Donnell & Clarke.

IMHO Down need to win at least 60% in the middle to have a chance of winning the game.
Although they were very good against Tyrone there, I cant see them dominating again.

Dont believe this sh1t about Ambrose & if Comiskey starts on the bench I will be delighted.
Armagh winning, but not by any great margin (3/4pts). Even if we dominate we just dont put teams away, bar '99 of course ;)