Armagh v Down- 29th June-Ulster Semi Final Thread

Started by Whacker, June 17, 2008, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Red Army.

That has to be the most arrogant post in quite a while. Down had a great victory against Tyrone but one swallow doesn't make a summer. They may well beat Armagh but I still think they are still a couple short of being All Ireland contenders. To get that far they would need a lot of luck with injurys - similar to 1991 when they could play the same team nearly the whole way through. Also if Armagh have been as poor as down in the last two years how is it that they won Ulster two years ago?

As for next Sunday I think it will be close. My hope for Armagh is that they have more options on the bench than for a number of years eg Donaghy and McNulty in defence, O'Neill, Courtney and Swift for midfield and McConville, Kernan and Mallon in the forward line. If things are going wrong we can change things. Can Down? Have they as many options? I do not know. I will be going with hope rather than confidence!

full back

Quote from: Red Army on June 21, 2008, 05:00:42 PM
The arrogance from Armagh is unreal. They have been as poor as Down in the last couple of years. Armagh are a team on their knees hoping for one last howray.
Yes Down are a division 3 team, Armagh should have no difficulty in winning if league form is to be believed.
The thing that kills Armagh people most is the fact they won only 1 sam in their so called period of dominance. Now that the sleeping Mourne giant is awakening and normal service is about to be resumed Armagh have nothing only one last shot at an Ulster title. The fear of the Red and Black tide swelling will provide many sleepless nights in the orange county this next week.
Down have nothing to lose.
An Dun abu.

:D :D
You must be having a laugh
Armagh as poor as Down in the last couple of years ???
Must be a WUM

Red Army

Had a feeling that would stir the old pot again ;D. Realistically, cant wait until next sunday, i hope it has the makings of a classic in the same way as the 2 tyrone games.
My worry is Downs inexperience, i just hope we perform to our capabilities. Hope the ref doesnt kill the game. anyone know who it is yet.
The Wexford ref gave Derry a very soft penalty tonight which could have killed the game.
This tie has been a while in the coming.

full back

Jaysus lads....this could be the easiest Ulster of the lot
Cavan, Down and Fermanagh - Carlsberg dont do Ulster Championships, but if they did.......  ;)

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Red Army on June 21, 2008, 06:40:31 PM
Had a feeling that would stir the old pot again ;D. Realistically, cant wait until next sunday, i hope it has the makings of a classic in the same way as the 2 tyrone games.
My worry is Downs inexperience, i just hope we perform to our capabilities. Hope the ref doesnt kill the game. anyone know who it is yet.
The Wexford ref gave Derry a very soft penalty tonight which could have killed the game.
This tie has been a while in the coming.

inexperience wont be much of a problem given the two battles against tyrone this month
The Boys in Red and Black are back

In the Onion Bag

I predict an Arma cakewalk. 

Their defense will stifle anything the Down attack can produce and their classy forwards will have a field day against a dodgy Down defense. 

Our only hope is for mercy and that the officials open the gates early so we can leave before the suffering gets too much.

SCENTOFSAM

Quote from: Yes I Would on June 21, 2008, 04:35:06 PM
That makes it worse!! They have you brainwashed!!
A nicer place to live you couldn't find anywhere. The local club here in Downpatrick are a fantastic group of people. no brainwashing, just genuinely decent people

Mourne Rover

Throw Ball, every successful All Ireland team has to cope with injuries. Down went into the 1991 championship with a first choice midfield of Ambrose Rogers and Liam Austin. Ambrose was injured before the first round, and missed the entire Ulster championship. Big Austin took a knock against Derry in the drawn semi final which meant that he was unavailable for both the replay and the Ulster final. Both were only fit for the bench in the AI semi and final. Given that we had otherwise a generally very young side, and had not won a provincial title in the previous ten years, those were major losses. We were outsiders in every game we played that summer, so Sam came home strictly on merit.

Red And Black Army

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on June 21, 2008, 09:42:22 PM
I predict an Arma cakewalk. 

Their defense will stifle anything the Down attack can produce and their classy forwards will have a field day against a dodgy Down defense. 

Our only hope is for mercy and that the officials open the gates early so we can leave before the suffering gets too much.

Got to agree, dont even think I will venture to Clones, sure you see more on the telly. Armagh by 10 points.

nutsy--1

armagh don't hammer teams its always a tight enough game i think armagh will win by five points and will control the game.

Red And Black Army

Do the trains still run to Clones, its that long from we had a day out in Clones i cannot remember.

mournerambler

Does 'red and black army ' just enjoy writing crap to try & get his number of posts of the mark?Having joined yesterday he has so far contributed 4 posts containing the biggest load of bullshit, maybe the hoganstand site has crashed & thats why this board now has the pleasure of his company ;D

Throw ball

Mourne Rover. I was not saying the 1991 team were not worth their All Ireland. After they limped past Armagh in the Marshes I cheered them on . My point was that I do not remember them using more than 18 or 19 players that year. To go far this year I believe they will have to do something similar. By 1994 I thought they were a better team. Besides I have always believed that Down had that admirable ability of getting the best out of the players they had. For Armagh's sake I hope they have lost this!

ric flair

There can be little doubting that the mourne county have produced some of the finest teams to come out of the province over the last 60 years.............. their 5 All Ieland Senior titles have stood the test of time.
However since 1994 they have not lifted an ulster title, Embarrassed by the brilliance of the oisin McConville and Diarmuid Marsden double Act in 1999 and then slaughtered in a replay by eventual All Ireland Champions Tyrone in 2003.
Apparently a new breed has emerged in 2008.......... a team that wont lie down as they have already shown twice this summer, Once in Omagh and Once Newry............... However it would be fickle to assume the glory days have returned on such events................ Like Derry this group of players have found expectation heavy on their sholders............. werent we told that Derry had turned the corner after showing such fighting qualities to firstly sink kerry after trailling heavily in the first half and then after an indifferent first half showing against donegal they turned on the power to see the opposition off in the second half. The Derry we had grown acustomed to had turned it around...... or so we thought.
Fermangah out thought, outbattled. outplayed and manged to beat the same derry team who had been talked up as potential all ireland champions.
Similarities between Down and Derry could and in all probability will continue on sunday.............. Expect the Arrogance of the down support to leave clones next week with their tail between their legs.............. have they encountered a forward line with the understanding, predatorial instincts and power of McDonnell and Clarke??? .......... Whilst Dan Godon is on top of his game at this moment......... the midfield battle is not the forgone conclusion most are assuming......... McGrane will be ably assisted by Toner  in this sector.......... The defense includes 4 All Stars and thats not to mention the colossus that is Ciaran McKeever ......... so any notion that Down forwards will rack up  a fantasy tally is certainly wide of the mark...................... but crucially This is an Armagh team playing without the pressure of previous years and that for me spells trouble for Down.
Armagh to pull away in the last ten minutes in what should be an absorbing contest

Uladh