Armagh v Down- 29th June-Ulster Semi Final Thread

Started by Whacker, June 17, 2008, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristotle Flynn

I really believe that this game is too close to call. If I were a betting man (which I'm not!) I would suggest a draw. It really is to hard to call IMO.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on June 20, 2008, 07:38:53 PM
I really believe that this game is too close to call. If I were a betting man (which I'm not!) I would suggest a draw. It really is to hard to call IMO.

a battle hardend down team should win the midfield battle  and run at an armagh team that keeps men standin infront of ther full back line. Mournemen through to ulster final
The Boys in Red and Black are back

mackers

Dodgy, you've been listening to Martin McHugh for too long. They keep A O'Rourke in front of the FB line, could you name me a team that don't play a sweeper in front of the FB line? Seanie Johnstone only started to do damage once he came out to the HF line as he could get no change out of Andy Mallon who is one of the top CBs in the country. My concern is that there is no obvious match up for Francie (like McCabe was).
Midfield will be an important battle with Down supporters concentrating on McGrane, Kieran Toner will have a big say on proceedings too.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Yes I Would

Francie will be moving nowhere, Ard Mhacha will play the system and let down try and crack it. Francie mightn have the pace but he is rarely exposed 1 on 1 as the defensive unit around him offer such protection. Downs only hope i believe is to take Coulter out the field and Down to attack Armagh at speed to try and create the overlap.
Cant see there being as many clean catches as previous weeks so its down to winning the dirty ball. If Armagh get enough of this and put in to Clarke and Mc Donnell, Armagh should prevail.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: mackers on June 20, 2008, 10:02:58 PM
Dodgy, you've been listening to Martin McHugh for too long. They keep A O'Rourke in front of the FB line, could you name me a team that don't play a sweeper in front of the FB line? Seanie Johnstone only started to do damage once he came out to the HF line as he could get no change out of Andy Mallon who is one of the top CBs in the country. My concern is that there is no obvious match up for Francie (like McCabe was).
Midfield will be an important battle with Down supporters concentrating on McGrane, Kieran Toner will have a big say on proceedings too.

i would make a point of not listening to martin mc hugh. the  useless balls cavan hit in to their full forward line that dropped short to be picked up  by the sweeper was ridiculous, and you can be sure it wont happen with down. theyll run at armagh, draw a few frees, easily slotted over by carr/doyle
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Dannymcfella

Whoever comes out on top between McGrane and Gordon will decide who wins this game. McGrane over the last 10 years has been the second best midfielder in the country to Darragh O'Se, he put on a master class against Cavan (albeit not the toughest game he ever had) and as for Dan Gordon in my opinion has been Downs best player the last few years.

Stevie Nicks

There is no doubt that midfield will be important but it will not decide the game on it's own. Tyrone won no ball yet still should have beat down only for ricey to give benny an early christmas present. I have no doubt that D Hughes and co will give the Armagh defence plenty to think about but on the balance I still think Armagh have too much for down. Armagh by3/4 pts

SCENTOFSAM

I just think there is no point in Down turning up to face a county with such an impressive record of success over the life of the association.
They are just too powerful all over the field, on the terraces and on message boards

mackers

Scentofsam, it took you nine pages to catch on to that! ;)
I just love the Down accusations of Armagh arrogance, even some of the Down posters' names make me laugh, ye beat a tired Tyrone team and now we have scentofsam, D4S and a few others!! Brilliant!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

bridgegael

Quote from: mackers on June 21, 2008, 01:23:50 PM
Scentofsam, it took you nine pages to catch on to that! ;)
I just love the Down accusations of Armagh arrogance, even some of the Down posters' names make me laugh, ye beat a tired Tyrone team and now we have scentofsam, D4S and a few others!! Brilliant!!

i think you'll find these boys were member before the tyrone game.  Down by 4!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

SCENTOFSAM

Yes I Would

That makes it worse!! They have you brainwashed!!

balladmaker

If the match was decided on paper, Armagh would walk it.  However, it is not decided on paper, and as usual these days, it will probably be decided by the referee.  If Armagh can get the ball into their full forward line, they have the potential to destroy Down.  If Down can get the ball into their full forward line, they do NOT have the potential to destroy Armagh, imho.

I was at both Down v Tyrone games, and especially last Saturday night I was hearing Benny this and Benny that, when really Liam Doyle was the man who was keeping Down in the game.  Only for the fluke goal handed to Coulter on a plate, he would have had an extremely average game.

If both teams play to their potential, Armagh will win, but it is all to play for.

Red Army

The arrogance from Armagh is unreal. They have been as poor as Down in the last couple of years. Armagh are a team on their knees hoping for one last howray.
Yes Down are a division 3 team, Armagh should have no difficulty in winning if league form is to be believed.
The thing that kills Armagh people most is the fact they won only 1 sam in their so called period of dominance. Now that the sleeping Mourne giant is awakening and normal service is about to be resumed Armagh have nothing only one last shot at an Ulster title. The fear of the Red and Black tide swelling will provide many sleepless nights in the orange county this next week.
Down have nothing to lose.
An Dun abu.

balladmaker

QuoteThe thing that kills Armagh people most is the fact they won only 1 sam in their so called period of dominance. Now that the sleeping Mourne giant is awakening and normal service is about to be resumed Armagh have nothing only one last shot at an Ulster title. The fear of the Red and Black tide swelling will provide many sleepless nights in the orange county this next week.
Down have nothing to lose.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)