Armagh v Down- 29th June-Ulster Semi Final Thread

Started by Whacker, June 17, 2008, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Armagh will bate that shower by four to five points, end of.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

SouthArmaghBandit

Quote from: stew on June 19, 2008, 05:57:44 PM

We all know that Stew but it's still nice to string them along in the lead up to the game. We want to make sure loads of them turn up so we can watch them headin for the exits 15 minutes before the end.

As some wag said in 1999 as the Down fans were leaving early - "Lock the feckin gates and make them suffer!"

passedit

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on June 19, 2008, 06:05:28 PM

We all know that Stew but it's still nice to string them along in the lead up to the game. We want to make sure loads of them turn up so we can watch them headin for the exits 15 minutes before the end.

As some wag said in 1999 as the Down fans were leaving early - "Lock the feckin gates and make them suffer!"

Keep whistling past the graveyard lads.
Don't Panic

bennydorano

Quote from: passedit on June 19, 2008, 04:44:08 PM
QuoteMcGrane was brutal and 100% cleaned out by Fennell in the Dublin league game, cant remember what way that game finished up Huh

I wasn't at that game benny, so i'm struggling with the mental image of fennel tearing towards goal with Mc Grane in his wake. If Down beat arma decisively at midfield they'll beat them full stop as arma's backline is as dodgy as down's
Midfield is not the be all and end all, Tyrone won 2 All-Irelands without one. 

5 Sams

Fcukit Stew...I hope it's that close ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

SCENTOFSAM

As most things from armagh, hardly original as this staement was coined many years before by Cork. How many times up to that could the same sentiment have been reversed!!

downgirl

Hopefully this match will be just as intense and exciting as both Down V Tyrone matches, hopefully with less decisions against us with a few minutes to go (i.e. soft free given against i think it was paul mccomiskey resulting in the equalising score to push to extra time).  Armagh did look good against Cavan but its hard to judge with Cavan not being great opposition, but Armagh could still have been better.  However should be a good match, hopefully the result will go our way...I really do think Down have the hunger to win they showed it against Tyrone that they will never give up!!   ;D

passedit

Quote from: bennydorano on June 19, 2008, 07:49:19 PM
Quote from: passedit on June 19, 2008, 04:44:08 PM
QuoteMcGrane was brutal and 100% cleaned out by Fennell in the Dublin league game, cant remember what way that game finished up Huh

I wasn't at that game benny, so i'm struggling with the mental image of fennel tearing towards goal with Mc Grane in his wake. If Down beat arma decisively at midfield they'll beat them full stop as arma's backline is as dodgy as down's
Midfield is not the be all and end all, Tyrone won 2 All-Irelands without one. 

I know that Benny, but Tyrone were always set up that way, down won the midfield battle decisively in both games yet were fortunate enough to win in the end. Midfield is more important to both Down and Arma as they both have vulnerable backlines to protect and forward lines who thrive on quick ball. I just think that if Dan wins plenty of ball on Mc Grane and takes him on a tour of Clones when we have it, it could be decisive. Then again i could be talking bollox. we'll know on sunday week
Don't Panic

corn02

brokencrossbar1

I think this is Down's game to lose.  They have been quietly building for a number of years and have a solid team.  They may not be the most stylish of Down teams but they have very few weak links.  If Armagh can more than break even in the middle I think the FF line will have enough to win the game, but I don't know if McGrane can have as good a game again.  Lets face it Cavan midfield were shocking and Gordon will pose a very much improved threat.  Any team that subs a midfielder and then throws him back on can only be weak there.

As much as it pains me I think Down will shade midfield and win by a Coulter goal :(

thehulk!!

all im hoping for is a good game, would like to see down win, at least they go out to play football something armagh have never done

corn02

thebandit

Sadly I think that the Armagh defence might be shown up against Down - the odd time Cavan ran at Armagh they caused problems.

Btw will McCumiskey start?

BerfArmagh

Listen lads - Armagh has been there, done that and got the T-Shirt, its up to Down to turn up and put it up to Armagh. WHich I think they will. BTW don't worry about Paul Mc Grane, hes well fit for Dan Gordon. Mc Granes up there with Cavanagh, O Se & WHelan as one of the best mid fielders of his generation.

Looks like theres huge interest in the game, which should make for a class day in clones...

Bring it on  ;D

D4S

Down have been there and worn the tshirt as well mate! Armagh are in transition still a few old faces with a blend of youth thrown in like young toner.  Many of our boys have tasted success also as minor all ireland winners in 1999 and 2005 so no need to patronise my friend ;)
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.