Armagh v Down- 29th June-Ulster Semi Final Thread

Started by Whacker, June 17, 2008, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Remind me lazer, when were the down glory days?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

D4S

Quote from: Lazer on June 19, 2008, 02:58:41 PM
I wish i was still only 17!!

If i was 17 i probably wouldnt remeber the Down glory days!

Very good im wrong then :D! Can't wait until sunday week should be a cracker we can definitely do it!! Hope you can see more glory days :)!!!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Onion Bag

What about a get together of all the gaaboard guys in the beer garden for a session and chin wag  ;)

D4S

Quote from: Onion Bag on June 19, 2008, 03:01:42 PM

C'mon Onion Bag we've made our point no need to get niggly ;)!
You know fine well we have had 2 spells of glory days the 60s and the 90s, I remember the 90s they were glorious, we got 2 all irelands then!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

passedit

Quote from: Uladh on June 19, 2008, 02:43:35 PM

I'd be hopeful of an armagh win but in reality there won't be the kick of the ball between them. free kicks, refereeing and the bit of luck will all be decisive factors when two teams are well matched.

it's going to be a classic clash of styles with Down's dynamic all out attack running game against Armagh's stoic defence and long deliveries into the full forwarda line.

If armagh can be the physical and technical tacklers of old i think they will win the game. if not, down will cut them to ribbons.

One of the things that impressed me most in both the games against Tyrone was the increased physicality with and without the ball right to the end from Down, whether the improvement is enough for arma remains to be seen but the intensity of the two tyrone games will have brought them on a bucketful. This is in stark contrast to the armawans who, whatever way you dress it, strolled through the Cavan game.

I have always been a great admirer of Mc Grane but now with OFT catching up with him I believe he could be the key to a down victory. It's shite or bust time for Dan Gordon, he should take Mc Grane on head to head and try to outfield him and run him into the ground. If i'm wrong and he still has another year in the legs then fair fcuks to him arma will probably win whether Dan takes him on or not, however i don't think arma could cope tactically or mentally with him getting cleaned.**

** I know he was mom v cavan, but i could still look good v those statues.
Don't Panic

D4S

But our masks would be off....and then we could no longer make random comments that we  aren't held accountable for ;D ;D

Would be great craic there will be many of us there, we should all wear a headband tied round our necks in the paragon beer garden as a sign we are gaaboard members...without revealing our identities :D :D :D :D :D

Onion Bag

Quote from: D4S on June 19, 2008, 03:08:16 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on June 19, 2008, 03:01:42 PM

C'mon Onion Bag we've made our point no need to get niggly ;)!
You know fine well we have had 2 spells of glory days the 60s and the 90s, I remember the 90s they were glorious, we got 2 all irelands then!

D4S i was only tryng to see if lazer would take the bait, I remember the 90s myself, Sam Maguire made an appearance in our school,

Uladh

Quote from: passedit on June 19, 2008, 03:08:51 PM

I'd be hopeful of an armagh win but in reality there won't be the kick of the ball between them. free kicks, refereeing and the bit of luck will all be decisive factors when two teams are well matched.

it's going to be a classic clash of styles with Down's dynamic all out attack running game against Armagh's stoic defence and long deliveries into the full forwarda line.

If armagh can be the physical and technical tacklers of old i think they will win the game. if not, down will cut them to ribbons.

One of the things that impressed me most in both the games against Tyrone was the increased physicality with and without the ball right to the end from Down, whether the improvement is enough for arma remains to be seen but the intensity of the two tyrone games will have brought them on a bucketful. This is in stark contrast to the armawans who, whatever way you dress it, strolled through the Cavan game.

I have always been a great admirer of Mc Grane but now with OFT catching up with him I believe he could be the key to a down victory. It's shite or bust time for Dan Gordon, he should take Mc Grane on head to head and try to outfield him and run him into the ground. If i'm wrong and he still has another year in the legs then fair fcuks to him arma will probably win whether Dan takes him on or not, however i don't think arma could cope tactically or mentally with him getting cleaned.**

Onion Bag

Do not even attempt to go the the paragon beer garden, its full of young uns absolutely plastered and you cant hear yourself think with the rave music, The best one is the Rooster beer garden at the bottom of the town on past the paragon on the right, That paragon is a shite hole,

D4S

I know its a shithole! The cul darach beside it is a good wee pub or else packie willies up in the diamond...on a good day there'll be ahuge crowd outside it!

Lazer

Thankfully I dont remember the 60's glory days! The glory days are here again.

To quote a tyrone supporter after the match on Saturday night,

"you'd think they'd just won the all ireland"

We take our glory anywhere we can get it these days!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Donagh

Quote from: Onion Bag on June 19, 2008, 03:08:04 PM
What about a get together of all the gaaboard guys in the beer garden for a session and chin wag  ;)

Sounds good. I'll bum a lift with Lecale to give directions. 

passedit

Quote from: Uladh on June 19, 2008, 03:13:32 PM

I take it you're keeping that there for posterity so I can't edit away my rashness uladh.  :)
Don't Panic

bennydorano

McGrane was brutal and 100% cleaned out by Fennell in the Dublin league game, cant remember what way that game finished up ???

passedit

QuoteMcGrane was brutal and 100% cleaned out by Fennell in the Dublin league game, cant remember what way that game finished up Huh

I wasn't at that game benny, so i'm struggling with the mental image of fennel tearing towards goal with Mc Grane in his wake. If Down beat arma decisively at midfield they'll beat them full stop as arma's backline is as dodgy as down's
Don't Panic