Armagh v Down- 29th June-Ulster Semi Final Thread

Started by Whacker, June 17, 2008, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgy umpire

good point! if they did it was for a very short time and noone else knew a thing about it
The Boys in Red and Black are back

TacadoirArdMhacha

I see Ross Carr said to TV3's championship show that Armagh are one of top 2 or 3 teams in the country.

He's as bad with the mind games as most of this thread!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Silky

Malone Aristocrat

For down to have a realistic chance tomorrow they'll need to score 2-3 goals. mcdonnell and clarke will bag at least one and armagh will kick 10-12 points minimum. i can't see down scoring 12 points never mind 15. much will depend on armagh's ability to take he ball off down because i believe down have a greater ball winning capacity around the middle. armagh 2-13, down 1-09.

dodgy umpire, Down Gael and In the Onion Bag were obviously on the beer and represent the confused element of the modern down supporter. i fail to see how you can take comfort in not being very good now by lamenting better days.

Down Gael

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on June 28, 2008, 08:31:42 AM
dodgy umpire, Down Gael and In the Onion Bag were obviously on the beer and represent the confused element of the modern down supporter. i fail to see how you can take comfort in not being very good now by lamenting better days.

I certainly wouldnt describe myself  as an element of the modern supporter, far from it. I am a lifelong pioneer. Why drink when you can get as much craic talking the piss out of the likes of Uladh. Looks like he got the message last night anyway, hopefully he`ll get the same message tomorrow in Clones  ;)

Malone Aristocrat

Trying to decipher the message you're trying to get across, i'd have to agree that only being able to talk about former glories is an attempt to disguise the lack of quality the current team has.

Quote from: Down Gael on June 28, 2008, 10:07:16 AM
hopefully he`ll get the same message tomorrow in Clones  ;)

That will probably still be the message.

Down Gael

Oh yes, the current Down team lacks quality. Liam Doyle, All ireland minor winning captain in 1999, probably playing his best football to date. Dan Gordon, lorded it at midfield over a highly fancied Tyrone side. Sexton and Murtagh another of the 1999 side. Benny Coulter, well he hardly needs an introduction. Daniel Hughes another fine footballer. Ambrose rodgers finally living up to the name, probably turned the game against Tyrone. Paul Murphy, now free from injury, I can now see why the Ballyholland men rated him so highly, was Dooher playing? Paul McComiskey, probably the most exciting young player in the country at the minute. John Clarke, Downs top scorer in the league, very intelligent footballer. Another of the 99 team. Yes we really lack quality  ;). A managment duo with not 1, but 2 All Irelands. How many Armagh men can say that. Tomorrows games is a game between a more skilful, fast moving Down side against a team not really renowned for skill, a team more known for its brute force and ignornace approach to football. Armagh may smother Downs game tomorrow, but we will never sink to your level.
In saying that Armagh have some very talented players on their team. McDonnell is one of the best forwards in the country with Clarke not far behind, but Armagh werent tested in their previous game. Cavan were so poor they made McGrane look good, that says more about Cavan than it does about Armagh.

full back

FFS, all these new down posters coming out of the woodwork for the big game ::)
If you lose, no doubt it will be a 'sure we are only a young team etc etc'
Can any 'honest' down poster say they expect to win tomorrow?

BTW, lay off uladh ye bunch of inbreds :D

nutsy--1

cavan made mc grane look good?? He's armagh most needed player this year. How many allstars have down got and ulster titles and all ireland medals in this team? i hope armagh destroy a very average down team.

Down Gael

Malone Aristocrat

Quote from: Down Gael on June 28, 2008, 10:53:24 AM
Liam Doyle, All ireland minor winning captain in 1999, probably playing his best football to date.

What has he done in about 8 years as a senior intercounty footballer?

Dan Gordon, lorded it at midfield over a highly fancied Tyrone side.

highly fancied by who? any tyrone man will tell you they are at a low ebb with injuries and irrespective have one of the worst midfields in the country. catch yerself on.

Sexton and Murtagh another of the 1999 side. Benny Coulter, well he hardly needs an introduction.

coulter has produced flashes of brilliance but what have the other two done in more than 5 years of senior county football?

Ambrose rodgers finally living up to the name.
Paul Murphy, now free from injury, I can now see why the Ballyholland men rated him so highly

Yet neither could get a start for the championship opener

Paul McComiskey, probably the most exciting young player in the country at the minute.

not even on the team

John Clarke, Downs top scorer in the league, very intelligent footballer. Another of the 99 team.

another schoolboy protege who has done absolutely nothing.

A managment duo with not 1, but 2 All Irelands.

is this the same management who were barracked through the league campaign by their own supporters and who the county board are maneuvering to replace?

How many Armagh men can say that. Tomorrows games is a game between a more skilful, fast moving Down side against a team not really renowned for skill, a team more known for its brute force and ignornace approach to football.

Yeah thats true because the clatter of ulster, all ireland and national league medals have, not to mention all stars are handed out for fcuk all.

catch a grip and make a decent argument.

Down are a fast, fit and mobile outfit who have potentially as good a forward line as is in the country. the work extremely hard and make life very uncomfortable for their opponents. if they can sustain 70 minutes of the intensity they produced in newry last week then they have a real chance. before that, subduing clarke and McDonnell and at least breaking even around the middle are the two platforms down have to focus on to allow their forwards to have a good rattle at armagh.

D4S

Quote from: full back on June 28, 2008, 11:05:53 AM
FFS, all these new down posters coming out of the woodwork for the big game ::)
If you lose, no doubt it will be a 'sure we are only a young team etc etc'
Can any 'honest' down poster say they expect to win tomorrow?

What a fuckin stupid comment! Down posters coming out of the woodwork...sure isnt our team only coming out of the woodwork! Did you want us on here the past couple of years giving our input on armagh v donegal, and tyrone v derry etc...We would have been laughed at and told to f**k off!  Yes the volume of down posts is of course going to go up when we are still in the championship!

And honestly I do think we can win tomorrow, if you look back through my posts you will see I predicted we would win by a point against tyrone after extratime in a replay...this time I predict we'll do it first day out

Down 1-12 Armagh 0-13
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Down Gael

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on June 28, 2008, 11:32:35 AM
Yeah thats true because the clatter of ulster, all ireland and national league medals have, not to mention all stars are handed out for fcuk all.

A clatter of All Irelands and National Leagues? Since when did 1 of anything make a clatter of anything? 1 All ireland and lets be honest, Kerry lost it more than Armagh won it and 1 National League, does anyone know who won this years League or moreover does anyone care.  Catch yourself of FFS.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteWhat a fuckin stupid comment! Down posters coming out of the woodwork...sure isnt our team only coming out of the woodwork!

So Down didn't play any matches in 06 or 07? Genuine supporters support their team no matter how they're doing.

QuoteA managment duo with not 1, but 2 All Irelands.

Your last manager was an All Ireland winning captain but was still driven out by your supporters.

Ya havta love Mourne folk. All their success, all their All Irelands, wins against Kerry, unbeaten record in AI finals, yet no matter how much success they've had, they simply can't stand it when their poor unillustrous neighbours rule the roost over them for a few years. Most counties would look at it as a minor inconvenience but for Down people, nothing bothers them more. There's a generation of supporters who, for most of the time when they have been attending intercounty matches, Armagh have been superior to Down. We've enjoyed the last decade and, with a wee bit of luck, we might even be fit to extend it for another year.

Just another thought that's struck me, the first time I was ever told by Down man that we were on the way down and they'd pass us out on the way back up was at the Ulster final in Clones in 2002. They've been waiting a few years yet and might even have to wait another year or two. Still yis have your 5 All Irelands lads.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Malone Aristocrat

Quote from: Down Gael on June 28, 2008, 12:09:05 PM
Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on June 28, 2008, 11:32:35 AM

A clatter of All Irelands and National Leagues? Since when did 1 of anything make a clatter of anything? 1 All ireland and lets be honest, Kerry lost it more than Armagh won it and 1 National League, does anyone know who won this years League or moreover does anyone care.  Catch yourself of FFS.

eh, there'll be about 8 all ireland, 16 national league and about 70 ulster medals rattling around the armagh dressing room