Flights To Usa?

Started by Bainisteoir, June 17, 2008, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bainisteoir

Is it possible to book flights through an american travel website such as kayak etc, if i was leaving from ireland and travelling to the us? Just thinking there might be some savings to be made if its possible.

Tyrones own

Try YAPTA.com,  i got a deadly price using it to come home last week,
it searches the whole industry for the best prices and the airline will credit you
if it falls below the price you paid 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ludermor

ebookers are very reasonable most of the time

anportmorforjfc

Found a decent price going from dublin to toronto, then onto San Francisco next summer with Air Canada. Anyone ever flown with them before, if so what are they like?

The Blegard

Make sure you do that permission to travel thing online before you go. I nearly got sent back to Lima last week as I didnt do it and they were serious. 4 days before that I went through JFK  and they didnt mention it so I knew nothing about it. When I told the nice gentleman to have a go at his colleague about that and not me he went off his nut..
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

venter

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on September 24, 2009, 04:01:44 PM
Found a decent price going from dublin to toronto, then onto San Francisco next summer with Air Canada. Anyone ever flown with them before, if so what are they like?

I flew with Air Canada recently ...same trip as yourself. Dublin - Toronoto - San Fran. For the return flight they rang me  about 6 weeks beforehand telling me that the Toronto - dublin flight had to be cancelled and that we would have to fly Toronto - London - Dublin. It was a bit of a pain, but only ended up delaying us about an hour overall.

Great Value.. 276 euro return to the west coast of america. Cant argue with that. They had the touch screen TVs in the head rest in front with plenty of Movies and TV series (comedies,drama, documentaries etc.)

Its a hell of a long journey when you factor in the drive to the airport and the time before initial take off. You'll be grand on the outward trip as the adrenaline will keep you going for your holidays, but the return journey is a killer.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: venter on September 24, 2009, 04:51:03 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on September 24, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

I flew with Air Canada recently ...same trip as yourself. Dublin - Toronoto - San Fran. For the return flight they rang me  about 6 weeks beforehand telling me that the Toronto - dublin flight had to be cancelled and that we would have to fly Toronto - London - Dublin. It was a bit of a pain, but only ended up delaying us about an hour overall.

Great Value.. 276 euro return to the west coast of america. Cant argue with that. They had the touch screen TVs in the head rest in front with plenty of Movies and TV series (comedies,drama, documentaries etc.)

Its a hell of a long journey when you factor in the drive to the airport and the time before initial take off. You'll be grand on the outward trip as the adrenaline will keep you going for your holidays, but the return journey is a killer.

You booked with Trailfinders right?

How long was the flight and stop overs on the way there?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: The Blegard on September 24, 2009, 04:35:15 PM
Make sure you do that permission to travel thing online before you go. I nearly got sent back to Lima last week as I didnt do it and they were serious. 4 days before that I went through JFK  and they didnt mention it so I knew nothing about it. When I told the nice gentleman to have a go at his colleague about that and not me he went off his nut..

What's all that about?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

anportmorforjfc

Its more or less the same as the form you have to fill in on the plane when travelling to the US, only it has to be completed online at least 72 hours before you fly.

venter

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 24, 2009, 04:59:13 PM

You booked with Trailfinders right?

How long was the flight and stop overs on the way there?

I booked direct with air canada. I initially went to kayak or one of those but for some reason I ended up checking Air Canada website directly. I dont see the same kind of deals on it now. I booked in early april for a august 28 trip.

The flight left dub at 9:40 and we were in Toronto around noon local time ( thats over 7 hour flight). Had a four hour stop over and another 5 hour flight to San Fran. We were in San fran at about 7:30 pm (local time)

The return was similar time frames. It just felt a lot more draining.

anportmorforjfc

Venter did you have to go through immigration in canada and the US?

venter

We went though emigration in Canada only as far as I can remember. They must have the US customs people in Toronto airport. I'm not 100% sure bout that. it wasnt one of the highlights so it was easy forget

armaghniac

Flying through Toronto you generally go through Canadian immigration and then a Shannon style US immigration setup. This is stupid of course, people travelling on to the US should only have to do the US bit, but they aren't setup to do this. This can take time, the last time I was there it was total chaos at the US immigration. But when you arrive at SFO you should be good to go. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gawa316

Was chatting to my mate the other night and he mentioned about filling out some form when he went to New York. Anyone know what this is? Flying to San Fran in Nov and Aer Lingus have said nothing about this

magickingdom

Quote from: gawa316 on September 28, 2009, 09:47:03 PM
Was chatting to my mate the other night and he mentioned about filling out some form when he went to New York. Anyone know what this is? Flying to San Fran in Nov and Aer Lingus have said nothing about this

before you go you have to fill out an online questionaire, mainly passport no., nationality and name thats about it. aer lingus will email you the link a few weeks before you fly. on the flight you will have to fill out basically the same for us customs on a form your given. .