Lack of respect to anthem

Started by dodgy umpire, June 15, 2008, 11:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgy umpire

same old carry on of fans shouting and cheering before the anthem has been finished at every match. If people cant bother to learn the words should they at least not have the courtesy to stand in silence untill its over?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

dodgy umpire

good aul hurlers of the glenns and ards. us football heads seem to be letting the side down
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Hurler on the Bitch

Always thought that Ulster fans were pretty respectful.. especially at Casement ... but if you are necking Bucky all the way from Lurgan - or Cavan Town - well the respect goes out the window!

ziggysego

Both set of supporters were very respectful at the two Tyrone v Down games
Testing Accessibility

Tankie

I dont think people disrespect the anthem but it can be played so slow at some grounds that you are finished before the band!
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Always found Ulster fans respect the anthem much more than any other province..It bugs the shite out of me when fans start cheering before it finishes
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Main Street

Quote from: Tankie on June 16, 2008, 12:44:05 AM
I dont think people disrespect the anthem but it can be played so slow at some grounds that you are finished before the band!
or the people sing it too fast  ::)

People are finished the singing of the anthem when they have sung all the words of the last verse.
Disrespect is defined as beginning to cheer before all the words have been sung.

Onion Bag

Armagh and Cavan the fans stayed quiet
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

thebandit

What annoyed me yesterday in Breffni was that the fella singing the anthem didn't know the words!!

corn02

Armag probably the worst culprits I have seen for this.

Maroon Heaven

Do we really need the Anthem anymore.

I personally hate it.

J70

I always love the big roar that accompanies the crescendo of the anthem and leads in to the throw-in. Makes my hair stand on end - the anticipation is fantastic.

his holiness nb

Quote from: J70 on June 16, 2008, 01:24:43 PM
I always love the big roar that accompanies the crescendo of the anthem and leads in to the throw-in. Makes my hair stand on end - the anticipation is fantastic.

100% agree. Whats the deal with the guys who cheer before its over though, is there anyone on here who does it that can explain?

I just dont see the point.
Ask me holy bollix

J70

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 16, 2008, 01:40:00 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 16, 2008, 01:24:43 PM

100% agree. Whats the deal with the guys who cheer before its over though, is there anyone on here who does it that can explain?

I just dont see the point.

In my experience, just about everyone does it (the anthem will reach the penultimate line and the cries of "come on Donegal" or "come on Westmeath" will start). I'd always assumed it was just part of championship tradition. It's never bothered me anyway.

Uladh

I don't see the point of the anthem. its a throw back and a very insular convention.

plus, given the fact that we're trying to entice our partitionist neighbours into enjoying our games i think it should be binned.