Dublin vs Wexford

Started by Bord na Mona man, June 14, 2008, 04:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groundlie

Quote from: TippEamon on June 14, 2008, 08:59:05 PM
AM i the only one who thought that was the worst example of hurling skills seen this year. The first half was atrocious, Wexford were as bad as i have seen any of the traditionally strong teams for years and Dublin couldnt take proper advantage from it. They had three dead on goal chances and didn't even hit Fitzhenry with any of them. The ground work was non existant, there was about two decent high catches all match from either team and i dont remember anyone picking out a decent pass into the forwards. The wides from Dublin in the second half especially were criminal, they made Tipp and Cork las week look clinical.

That Tipperary lost to hat Wexford shower last year is almost embarrassing but i think they were better than that. And if anyone carries on with this dream that Dublin are going to strengthen to begin to take on KK any time soon i will be amazed. Unless there is serious work and improvement put in both of these panels are way way off doing anything this summer. Every team in Munster would make mince meat of them both in the qualifiers. Kilkenny need some serious competition in Leinster.

Thats abit rich coming from a Tipp man, considering Wexford gave you's a fierce spanking in last years 1/4 final!! I wouldnt be surprised if they did it again. Wouldnt be getting too cocky down in Tipp, Clare and Limerick will want to cut the tripe out of ye!

Anyway, I thought it was an exciting championship match, 2nd half two teams gave their all which made it great to watch.

I thought Joey Boland was man of the match, he was everywhere in that half back line for Dublin, Tom Brady was also excellent. If the dubs forwards got a bit of shooting practise done during the week, they'll take wexford on sunday.

dodo

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 14, 2008, 07:59:41 PM
Since Johnny Dooley mugged Wexford with a last minute goal 10 years ago, I don't recall Wexford ever being beaten in a tight championship finish.
Since then they have ground out some great wins and draws in tight battles.

In 2001 Damian Fitzhenry beat Limerick with a last minute free. They drew with Tipp with 3 second half goals in the next match.
In the 2003 championship they narrowly edged out both Waterford and Offaly and drew with Cork.
In 2004 they beat Kilkenny with a last minute goal.
In 2006, they beat Offaly by a late point.
Last year they beat Dublin and Tipp by one and two points respectively

Granted when they have lost, they have been fairly whupped, but if they are ever within touching distance, they always manage to hang on and survive.

That's why Dublin's lead of only 4 points at half time was always going to be perilous. Dublin also needed to rattle the net to make Wexford heads drop when they were on top.

I think Dublin still need to break the psychological barrier of beating Wexford, Offaly or Kilkenny in Leinster. Beating Offaly in 1991 is their last scalp. While there is talk of Dublin being the second best team in Leinster, they still need to actually beat the third and fourth best team in Leinster to make this a reality.

They won't get a better chance than today, but I think the advantage is back with Wexford after how the game panned out today.

2002 Leinster final
Kilkenny 0-19    Wexford 0-17
Maybe the exception to the rule, but I was at this match. Paul Codd kept Wexford in the match with some excellent frees.

thejuice

Would be nice to see Dublin win this game, though they wont bring much of a challenge to kilkenny,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

INDIANA

the pick of wexford and dublin wouldn't challenge kilkenny but we're in a nice position tomorrow, everyone expects us to lose.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thejuice on June 21, 2008, 12:08:32 PM
Would be nice to see Dublin win this game, though they wont bring much of a challenge to kilkenny,
I dunno about that,While i would expect Kilkenny to win i would also think Dublin could put it up to them for 50mins
You'll Never Walk Alone.

INDIANA

more likely 15 mins mate. i don't think wexford would fare much better either. its another level.

davereilly

2-00 to 0-03

looks like a f**king camogie score! :D

groundlie

Tankie

is rte streaming ok for everyone as mine keeps skiping
Grand Slam Saturday!

Kerry Mike

Where are all the great Jackeen supporters today. Your hurlers are in a Leinster semi final in your own back yard and yet Croke Park looks about 1/4 full at most. Shameful.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

HowdyDoody

at least they have a hurling team

HowdyDoody

the cats will have it handy

Tankie

Quote from: Kerry Mike on June 22, 2008, 05:10:53 PM
Where are all the great Jackeen supporters today. Your hurlers are in a Leinster semi final in your own back yard and yet Croke Park looks about 1/4 full at most. Shameful.

Whats Hurling?? i think we should pull a kerry and dump the sport altogether
Grand Slam Saturday!

INDIANA

f*** off tankie and stick to the football. dublin were poor today and i'd fear for wexford in the final. a good side would have beaten us easily today. a complete revamp of the team required, from mangament to players and lets start playing our underage talent rather than having them sitting on the bench. very disappointing but wexford were much better and will at least give kk a game for 30 mins but will probably be minced by the end

Tankie

Chill out INDIANA  its just my view of Dublin hurling, i just think we would be better off putting our resources into football and try win that. With hurling we are not even talking about winning anything and every year is just about beating a bad Wexford team which we cannot do!
Grand Slam Saturday!