Canning’s Galway future in doubt

Started by belleaqua, December 19, 2006, 09:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belleaqua

Canning's Galway future in doubt

There is growing speculation that Ollie Canning won't be returning to the Galway hurling squad as the fallout from last October's ill-fated county final continues.

The three-time All-Star corner back has been a notable absentee from pre-season training, and it's believed he remains disillusioned with the Galway hurling board after the controversial county final which saw his club Portumna lose their county and All-Ireland crowns to Loughrea.

Portumna felt aggrieved at the treatment they received and were particularly upset at the injuries sustained by Canning's younger brother Joe. However, the hurling board came down heavier on Portumna than they did on Loughrea when handing out suspensions, and this has undoubtedly been a factor in Canning's decision not to return to the county set-up.

A Galway hurling source said: "It looks unlikely that Ollie will be playing next year. Hopefully, he will change his mind and come back but at the moment it looks like he won't be. As of yet, he hasn't been training."

Taken from Hogan Stand

Anyone else besides me think this is a pathetic attitude, IF the reasons that he refuses to play are true? Any opinions?

The Claw

I'd say build a bridge and get over it. Play for Loccy next year (could be their best chance in a while) and then go crazy with the autobiography!! :P

belleaqua

Exactly, the one thats likely to suffer the most from this is himself! He's a top notch defender and all but he is just passing his peak judging performances last year for club and county. Corner backs are not indispensable. The only team I fear taking on without him is Tipperary given his domination over Eoin Kelly in these games. Hate to see him lose out on an his best chance of winning an All Ireland though, been our top performer for last 5/6 years.

belleaqua

Unfortunately thats not going to happen now so its time for them to move on IMO. In fairness to Joe he has not gone to the media once in all this, kind of surprised by Ollie's reaction to it all, personally I feel outside that one blatant incident its complete over reaction.

belleaqua

I agree totally on that, very good advice to steer clear at that age wherever its coming from. I was out of the country the week of the final and reading the papers and getting messages from home i thought it was a pure bloodbath. but since watching the DVD and talking to alot that attended it was blown out of proportion, which the Irish Independent has alot to do with but I realise that doesnt take away from the disgraceful stamping incident.

catweazle

Heard it from a reliable source, both of them have opted out for the year after ringing Loughnane last night. Tis a bit of a surprise as they both had attended the physical training on Saturday. Will be a bad loss but its hard to know who is to blame for this state of affairs.

I saw the County Final and I think the violence was sensationalised and it wasnt as bad as people were led to believe.

However I also think the County Board were foolish to place blame on Portumna also, to censure Tracey for speaking his mind in this day and age was ridiculous, even though it was a bit rich coming from him.

They should have done nothing as usual and it would have blown over.

Hopefully the Cannings will back down and play after christmas, I would hate to see Galway having a good year and Ollie having no part of it, he has been a great servant to Galway hurling for many years

magpie seanie

Hurling would be the poorer for losing these two lads. I don't think its an over reaction. I think they have reason to feel hard done by. After all, the punishments after the final seemed to point the finger at their club and we all know that it at least takes two to tango.

My gut feeling is that both lads will be on board come the summer. Loughnane is a brilliant man manager and will allow the boys to make their point and bring them back on board at the right time.

neilthemac

Joe would be better off staying away for another year or two. Otherwise he'll be crocked before he's even 22.

belleaqua

I think Joe had indicated before the Co.Final, just after Loughnanes appointment that he wouldnt be making himself available next year, so that was always on the cards.

Hate to see them miss out though, early days yet, but there is savage training been done and morale very high, and its just a training panel!

GalwayBayBoy

Hopefully Ollie makes himself available again after a cooling off period. Would be a crying shame if Galway managed to do something this year and Ollie missed out on it. He's been such a great servant to Galway hurling. He doesn't have too many years left so he should stick at it IMO.

Not sure if Joe was even going to make himself available this year. No doubt he's up to it but he's still very young and will be playing for Galway for many years to come.

Captain Scarlet

i love this a source said crap.
its like a source close to britney said that she is glad to be rid of kevin, she just wants to party for a while, etc.
the cannings didnt go running to the media the reporters went to them.
at the time the gaa violence was the hot topic so that was latched onto.
rem straight after it they chatted him and the headline was he may quit hurling for good but when you read it it was "yea i would consider my future.." this was breheny ringing up a young lad who was very upset naturally and asking him "would you consider quitting?" canning said he might and away to the printers with a hot scoop for the indo.
lads if loughnane really wants anyone he will get them. he is a young lad anyway so its not like there is a rush on for him.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

The Bottom Brick

QuoteJoe would be better off staying away for another year or two. Otherwise he'll be crocked before he's even 22.

Yeah Eoin Kelly is proof of that  ::)
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

tayto

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 20, 2006, 01:48:43 PM
Hopefully Ollie makes himself available again after a cooling off period. Would be a crying shame if Galway managed to do something this year and Ollie missed out on it. He's been such a great servant to Galway hurling. He doesn't have too many years left so he should stick at it IMO.

Not sure if Joe was even going to make himself available this year. No doubt he's up to it but he's still very young and will be playing for Galway for many years to come.

I can understand his annoyance but I can't help get the feeling this is all a bit of a Kerry job, nothing to see here, we're so doomed, oh look the lads come back all of a sudden towards the end of the league and are raring to go ... maybe I'm wrong ... he wouldn't want to be waiting for ger to come begging him to come back anyways, not going to happen. Shame I really hoped Galway would break up the duopoly this summer or next.

Canalman

Hopes dashed. Thought thread was about Ger Canning.

stephenite

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Loughnanne was the one behind all this, cute hoor will want everyone thinking poor auld Gallimh are in disarray, meeja will be making a mountain out of a molehill, Loughnanne will loose the rag with meeja and the all important seige mentality is born, dressing room will think everyone is out to get them. He has a bit of form in this as we all know