Martin Cole gets four week suspension

Started by Out in Front, June 11, 2008, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Boirche

QuoteWill they be looking at every tackle now to try & hand out retrospective suspensions?

Certainly hope so, then he could give that free to McComiskey near the end which he should have and there would be no need for a replay.

Wee Roddy

Do you know what I think happened here. It happened infront of the Ulster counsil officials who were sitting and standing over a bit from me. They would have had the same view as our Strabane friend who posted earlier and he said he it looked bad. Now I think that these Ulster Council half wits are the ones who pushed it.

Fear Boirche

Regardless of what Cole did, the fact remains that it was dealt with by the referee at the time.

This sets a very dangerous precedent. Who decided to ask the referee to "have another look"? Was is Coldrick's final decision to upgrade the yellow to a red? If not, then we have problem. We can't have matches being re-refereed by committees just because somebody spotted something on the Sunday Game or read about it in the paper the next day.

I know this might smack of bias, but in the wake of last week's attack on referees by TV pundits, surely the GAA should be supporting their refs and not trying to emasculate them in this way.

Fear Boirche

QuoteDo you know what I think happened here. It happened infront of the Ulster counsil officials who were sitting and standing over a bit from me. They would have had the same view as our Strabane friend who posted earlier and he said he it looked bad. Now I think that these Ulster Council half wits are the ones who pushed it.

Not likely is one of them was Danny Murphy.

Wee Roddy

He does not run the Ulster Council you will find ;D

Drumanee 1

may be it has been mentioned in earlier posts but if you can hand out a ban after the ref only seen it as a yellow what about the meath player who committed the dirtest elbow i have seen in a long time?why does he get away with that?what doc did was wrong,what cole did was wrong but fcuk me that was gbh in comparason

Main Street

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on June 12, 2008, 04:34:39 PM
may be it has been mentioned in earlier posts but if you can hand out a ban after the ref only seen it as a yellow what about the meath player who committed the dirtest elbow i have seen in a long time?why does he get away with that?what doc did was wrong,what cole did was wrong but fcuk me that was gbh in comparason
The GAA Board video panel (mainly composed of Meathmen) have decided, after a frame by frame analysis, that that assault was 100% accidental.
There is no appeal.

orangeman

Bensars

Cannot see this being overturned, it would weaken the authority of the ccc.

I agree 100% with max. For what its worth i dont think he should have been suspended as the referee dealt with it on the field of play.

However for some to say it wasnt deliberate is silly. He may not have meant to break his nose but he threw back with as much force as he could to make contact with harte. In that alone he knew what he was doing. The fact of harte hanging off him is another matter which the referee should have dealt with.

I would be shocked if this was overturned.

By the way i think DJs possible extension to his suspension is ridiculous. I know DJ and hes a good lad, the last time i was speaking to him was at half time in the Down v Tyrone replay, he was near ready to head into the pitch himself, he was spitting bullets, totally shocked and disgusted with Downs performance that day.  Hes Down to the back bone, and dare i say it without being attacked, over the last few years they could have been doing with his passion and more like him.

haranguerer

Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2008, 10:00:26 PM

By the way i think DJs possible extension to his suspension is ridiculous.

C'mon! The one thing I was sure of watching the game was that he was gonna get another suspension.
Dunno what the original ban was for, but a blind man couldda seen he didnt obey it. They have to extend it or they'll look even more ridiculous.

Uladh

Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2008, 10:00:26 PM
By the way i think DJs possible extension to his suspension is ridiculous. I know DJ and hes a good lad, the last time i was speaking to him was at half time in the Down v Tyrone replay, he was near ready to head into the pitch himself, he was spitting bullets, totally shocked and disgusted with Downs performance that day.  Hes Down to the back bone, and dare i say it without being attacked, over the last few years they could have been doing with his passion and more like him.

Ah well then. does the GAA not know what a great fella he is? surely such a samson figure should not have to obey bans like mere mortals? they had some cheek banning him in the first placei tells ya.

Fear Boirche

Have to say I agree. Have a lot of time for DJ, he is a genuine Down man and if the team showed have the heart he does, they'd run through brick walls to win a match. However, he doesn't do himself any favours and has become a bit of a laughing stock of late. I would've thought that someone as measured and thoughtful as Ross might be able to have a quiet word in the ear. Having said that, if the half-time team talk did the trick on Sunday, then he'll gladly take the consquences of another ban.

The Cole ban, on the other hand is a disgrace. It's not a case of it not being overturned because CCCC will look weak, surely if it's proved to go contrary to the GAA's own rules, it has to be thrown out.

Bensars

not saying that at all uladh.

i wasnt aware that  the ruling applied  to entering the dressing room as well. i was under the impression that it was only a pitchside ban.

Uladh

sure he was on the sideline as well.

thats exactly what you were saying

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Main Street on June 12, 2008, 04:57:45 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on June 12, 2008, 04:34:39 PM
The GAA Board video panel (mainly composed of Meathmen) have decided, after a frame by frame analysis, that that assault was 100% accidental.
There is no appeal.

if that is the case it's a total disgrace,to say that tackle was accidental is just unbelievable,why has this not been highligted more in the media?it seems to me that this video panel are only interested in what happens in ulster >:(