President McAleese Heckled as she visits Primary in Coleraine

Started by Surreal Steve, June 10, 2008, 04:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishbat

Quote from: tyssam5 on June 11, 2008, 10:35:42 PM
It our fault really we need to get them houses and jobs, to quote (almost) Terence O'Neill:

"It is frightfully hard to explain to Catholics that if you give Protestants a good job and a good house, they will live like Catholics...they will refuse to take their children to silly protests.... If you treat Protestants with due consideration and kindness, they will live like Catholics in spite of the authoritative nature of their Church"

Their balloonery always comes back to bite......fairly hilarious delusions of grandeur in the protestant "leadership" of that time....still a fair few wannabe's about today though and just as nauseating, perhaps more so, considering almost 40 yrs have passed

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 11, 2008, 04:47:05 PM
It says a lot that MW's only post was to correct someones grammer and not comment on the protestors themselves.

I'll tell you what it says.

It says that I thought it was an ironic error given that one of the major reactions on this thread seemed to be the grammatical error in one of the posters. Still, "it says a lot" that you only took me to task , eh?

I think any regular poster would be pretty aware of my view of this type of incident (and I'm reptty sure you do to). I don't feel the need to comment on every thread in a solemn fashion (if at all) and being in a lighter mood at the time decided to join on to the more frivolous comments rather than concentrating on the depressing incident.

If you don't like that, tough.

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 11, 2008, 05:01:57 PM
Quote from: Apple Top on June 11, 2008, 04:55:34 PM
Not sure what you want here from other posters,

Sorry Apple top, I mean a specific few on here who take great delight when anyone from the Nationalist community misbehaves, yet are eerily silent when its coming from the Unionist side.

If that's directed it me then it's utter bollocks.

winsamsoon

Sure there lies part of the problem, a lot of our so called southern friends(not all) have lost interest in the whole issue of Northern Ireland. However it does feel that when nationalists do anything wrong eg protest against the removal of rule 21 or 42 they are criticised. When Unionists come out and do something like this, certain folk retract into the woodwork and remain silent.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

nifan

the green man

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: the green man on June 12, 2008, 10:44:41 AM
Quote from: nifan on June 12, 2008, 10:30:33 AM
Has anyone stuck up for these gobshites?

Jim Allister in todays Irish News

hard to believe he is educated...but then again that the scum vote that he is touting for

Main Street

From the Irish news
http://www.irishnews.com/articles/540/561/2008/6/11/589988_348085839145McAleesep.html

DUP MP Gregory Campbell said anyone who felt intimidated should report their concerns to police but he did not condemn the protest.

"I look forward to the day when there won't be any controversy but she herself has added to that controversy," he said.

Mrs McAleese was greeted by cries of "no surrender" and "republic scum" as she fulfilled the engagement.

In complete contrast to Campbell, there are some people with integrity.

'Principal John Platt last night said, however, that he would not cave in to bullying and that such behaviour made him even more determined to arrange similar events in future
the protest and previous attacks on the school had been or-chestrated by a small group of "people living in the 1980s who are losing their power base".
We have 36 children from ethnic minorities. Over half of the other 384 do not actually state any preferred religion," Mr Platt said.

"To be visited by the president is an unbelievable compliment to the school and the community. We have a community that is very responsive to change and that is hoping to move forward.

"I am very positive about everything that happens in this school.

"I think we have to look positively on our relationships with all our neighbours."

Jim_Murphy_74

The only lesson to be learnt here is that irony is lost on the masses.

You are offended because someone said you teach your children to hate like Nazis.  To display your hurt you go out (with your children in-tow) and chant hate-filled slogans like a bunch of Nazis.

It's class!

/Jim.

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on June 12, 2008, 12:25:35 AM
Quote from: his holiness nb on June 11, 2008, 05:01:57 PM
Quote from: Apple Top on June 11, 2008, 04:55:34 PM
Not sure what you want here from other posters,

Sorry Apple top, I mean a specific few on here who take great delight when anyone from the Nationalist community misbehaves, yet are eerily silent when its coming from the Unionist side.

If that's directed it me then it's utter bollocks.

It wasnt actually!
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on June 12, 2008, 12:24:28 AM
Quote from: his holiness nb on June 11, 2008, 04:47:05 PM
It says a lot that MW's only post was to correct someones grammer and not comment on the protestors themselves.

"it says a lot" that you only took me to task , eh?

Not really, you were the only one who did this. What should I take the other posters to task for??  ???
Ask me holy bollix

J70

his holiness nb

Quote from: J70 on June 12, 2008, 01:34:55 PM
No, but silence is consent, apparently.

I presume thats aimed at me. I never once suggested anyone approved of this behaviour.
I merely noted that certain posters, who would be the first on here to comment were this behaviour displayed by the Nationalist community, strangely decided to sit this one out.

Nothing to do with consent, and if anyone took my comments to mean they approved on these gobshites, I of course apologise while noting it was quite a conclusion to jump to.
Ask me holy bollix

J70

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 12, 2008, 01:42:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 12, 2008, 01:34:55 PM
No, but silence is consent, apparently.

I presume thats aimed at me. I never once suggested anyone approved of this behaviour.
I merely noted that certain posters, who would be the first on here to comment were this behaviour displayed by the Nationalist community, strangely decided to sit this one out.

Nothing to do with consent, and if anyone took my comments to mean they approved on these gobshites, I of course apologise while noting it was quite a conclusion to jump to.

Fair enough, but its by no means a big leap to go from "certain posters, who would be the first on here to comment were this behaviour displayed by the Nationalist community, strangely decided to sit this one out" to the implication that they might approve or at the very least be much less outraged than if it had been the other side involved.

winsamsoon

well if the clothes fit J70 then wear them. I took the same meaning out of what his holiness said. He said he didn't mean it that way but i am saying that this is indeed the case. Some do actually bury their heads in the sand when the shoe is on the other foot.

It is a bit like the old sceptic at the club games. It wouldn't matter how many the team win by he will always find a gripe with his own whilst at the same time praising the other side.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.