Poots out!

Started by Maguire01, June 09, 2008, 09:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

And good riddance! Not that we're really getting an improvement.

QuotePoots dropped as culture minister 

Culture Minister Edwin Poots has been dropped from the Stormont Executive and replaced by Gregory Campbell.

Sammy Wilson has been appointed environment minister, while Arlene Foster moves to the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment.

The reshuffle of DUP ministers follows the elevation of Peter Robinson to first minister.

Mr Poots leaves the executive after just one year, and amid controversy over his support for the Maze stadium.

The project is widely acknowledged as being unpopular with many DUP assembly members

DUP deputy leader Nigel Dodds, as expected, replaces Mr Robinson as finance minister.

BBC NI political correspondent Martina Purdy said the reshuffle could be viewed "as a promotion for both Mr Dodds and Mrs Foster".

"Mr Wilson's promotion could prove controversial with environmentalists," she continued. 

"Last year, he was given a green wash award by the Young Greens Society at Queen's University, in protest at his pro-nuclear vision."

Jeffrey Donaldson keeps his job as junior minister in the Office of First and Deputy First Minister.

Friends of the Earth expressed its "concern" over Sammy Wilson's appointment as environment minister.

Its Northern Ireland Director John Woods said: "I congratulate Sammy Wilson on his appointment, but I believe it is a mistake.

"Mr Wilson is well known for his sceptical views on climate change.

"It is difficult to see how a minister who holds such views in the face of overwhelming evidence could be a credible protector of our environment."

North Antrim Sinn Féin MLA Daithí McKay said the DUP's decision to appoint Sammy Wilson as environment minister was "grossly irresponsible" and that the environment would suffer as a result.

Commenting on the overall reshuffle, Traditional Unionist leader Jim Allister MEP said: "While the DUP needs a reshuffle of policy more than a change of personnel, there are aspects of this reshuffle which require comment.

How can they possible justify juggling these varying roles while trying to achieve the best possible outcome for the people of Northern Ireland?

UUP statement

"The increase in triple mandates is bad news for the quality and constancy of the representation of unionism at Westminster. In a year we have moved from three double-jobbing MPs serving also as ministers to five.

"We have recently seen DUP MPs absent from key votes in the Commons on the Lisbon Treaty and the Embryology Bill. No-one can adequately do two, never mind three jobs - MP, MLA and minister."

In a statement, the Ulster Unionist Party similarly said: "This poses the question, how can they (the DUP's ministers) possibly attempt to carry out these specific roles to the best of their ability?

"How can they possible justify juggling these varying roles while trying to achieve the best possible outcome for the people of Northern Ireland? People can't be in two places at once."

So there's the maze gone anyway.  And i wouldn't be holding out any hope for the Irish Language Act.

FermPundit

Only member of the DUP to fully support the Maze project. He put his constituency ahead of his party and ultimately he has paid the price for it.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Wilson in Environment should be a bit of a laugh anyway.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Well we know he likes to get close to nature!

dodgy umpire

im not sure whats more unsettling, the fact that the culture minister is a dup man or a derry man? or shud that be "londonderry"  ???
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Pangurban

Doubt if we will see Gregory in Casement Park or the Marshes

Orior

Thats a real shame about Pootsie.

Fair play to the man for being approachable and going to a Down game.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Uladh

Yeah, anyone willing to go and watch down play in the McKenna cup has to be game for a laugh

Maguire01

Quote from: Orior on June 09, 2008, 11:49:57 PM
Thats a real shame about Pootsie.

Fair play to the man for being approachable and going to a Down game.
That's his job - he was the minister! I'm off to work now - i'm not looking forward to it, but i don't extect people to sing my praises.

Tony Baloney

QuoteAnd good riddance!

After a year of Gregory you'll be begging Poots to come back! Hopefully he holds a civic reception for Artur Boruc next time the Celts are visiting...

amallon

I think this is bad for the GAA, Poots was no GAA lover but at least he made some effort.  I can't see Gregory turning up at a GAA match anytime soon. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Donagh

Quote from: amallon on June 10, 2008, 10:48:22 AM
I can't see Gregory turning up at a GAA match anytime soon. 

Given his attitude to Gaelic games and the Irish language, I don't think Gregory would be welcome at a GAA match anytime soon.

feetofflames

I think Poots was not entrenched enough for the new leadership. Poots showed great leadership, pragmatism and he did reach out, during his term and I thought he represented modern unionism well. 
Gregory Campbell is a snivelling backbiter, who believes he simply dosent haver to move on in any shape or form - a dinosaur.  He will singlehandedly inject more bile and sectarianism into the social and sporting side of government than you could have thought possible.   
Chief Wiggum

EC Unique

Quote from: amallon on June 10, 2008, 10:48:22 AM
I think this is bad for the GAA, Poots was no GAA lover but at least he made some effort.  I can't see Gregory turning up at a GAA match anytime soon. 

I don't know if it is 'bad' as he will have no influance over anything the GAA does!  f**k him as he is not welcome anyway..