Best Speech or teamtalk

Started by bennydorano, June 09, 2008, 02:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I remember Sean McCague giving a speech at a prizegiving one night in our club when he was President, he spoke about the values of the GAA and the like and it had the hairs on the back of my neck standing, very impressive orator.  Some of his teamtalks for Monaghan must have been amazing.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: bennydorano on June 09, 2008, 02:25:51 PM
I remember Sean McCague giving a speech at a prizegiving one night in our club when he was President, he spoke about the values of the GAA and the like and it had the hairs on the back of my neck standing, very impressive orator.  Some of his teamtalks for Monaghan must have been amazing.

I loved the story about Joe Kernan hopping his 77 loser's medal off the wall in the Armagh dressing room at half-time in 2002 and saying it's no good to ye. Don't know if it's true though. I hope it is, because it does make for an excellent story.

Rick O Shea

I think the speech from the munterconnaught manager in the powerade ads is awe-inspiring!!!

screenexile

Tony Scullion on the right form is as good a man as I've seen for a psyching up session.

He starts off really quietly and slow saying he's not going to do any big shouting then next thing the face is red, veins popping and spit flying everywhere. He gave the hurling lads a talk a couple of years ago and he was thumping a hurl off the ground and got that carried away he whacked it against his head and blood started pouring down his face... they say he never broke stride with the talk and kept going to the end!

lurganblue

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2008, 02:46:22 PM
Tony Scullion on the right form is as good a man as I've seen for a psyching up session.

He starts off really quietly and slow saying he's not going to do any big shouting then next thing the face is red, veins popping and spit flying everywhere. He gave the hurling lads a talk a couple of years ago and he was thumping a hurl off the ground and got that carried away he whacked it against his head and blood started pouring down his face... they say he never broke stride with the talk and kept going to the end!

i had the pleasue of being there for one of tony scullions speach´s a few years ago.  It wasnt even before a game or anything but by jesus if it was, you wouldnt have liked to have been on the other team.  The man has so much passion for the game it is unbelievable!! and a great speaker too (even with his derry accent)  :P

screenexile

He told a great one about him and Mickey Graham... Graham had blocked him for a run and Scullion didn't like it and let him know! Mickey Graham's reply was "Jesus Scullion take those spuds out of your mouth before you talk to me!"

bennydorano

John Grimley gave us a rousing speech one time before an U21 club match many moons ago, we arrived at the pitch togged out in a crappy wee bus, he stood at the front fo the bus bestriding the aisle with hands on seats either side, his head leaning to one side as he was touching the roof and so fuckin huge.  It was short and sweet and very effective, his last words were "this is championship football, you put yer head were you wouldn't put a f**kin spade" (I've heard variations of this since, but heard it first with Grimley).

billy the kid

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2008, 02:46:22 PM

I was present for this and exile be telling her as it was.  Scullion was in the middle of taking a session with us about a week before the champiopnship and between drills was talking to us about the cut and thrust of championship and how much he loved Screen and Hated the team we were gonna play.  As usual the blood got up in him and the passion shone through.  When he started talking to us he had his hands in his pockets but as he got more and more passionate he started beating the ground with the top half of a broken hurl. Now where he got this nobody knows as we were all transfixed with his speech and were ready for battle (although 2 weeks early) there and then and Nobody remembered seeing him lift it.  

Then suddenly he was like William Wallace standing in front of us all saying how we all had a duty to die for our clubs honour and would live forever in Valhalla (or something to that effect) and had the reddest and most aggressive face I ever saw in my life. As he was making the point he beat himself on the side of the head with the broken hurl and sure as god he started to bleed.  the blood trickled down the side of his face and dripped of his chin and all the while he preached to us about our championship match..........he never even acknowledged that it had happened or paused for a second.  

It was one of the most awe inspiring, nerve tingling and hilarious things ive ever seen.............but we all stood there silently, to afraid to laugh incase the ultimate GAA warrior should turn us to stone with one of his piercing looks.

One other time we were playing in the Intermediate hurling Championship final and Scullion was playing.  He hadnt played in a few years and in fact It was the last year he ever played anything Hurling or Football.  We had a very young side of mostly under 21s and all looked up to Scullion.  He never would have been one to say much before or during games but that all changed At half time in the final. We were leading by 3/4 points and should have been out of sight but had missed a load from frees and play.  We all came in and sat down and waited for the last couple of players and management to come in.  The door was pulled closed and the manager was about to speak when suddenly Scullion jumps up and again he is red in the face, and gets really worked up shouting some Gibberish and the spit is flying everywher it sounded something like this "WaHH GaHH JAAAA kAAAH  FAAAAAAAAAACCCCKKING BWAAAAAASSSSSSSSTTTTTTTSS"

Everyone looked around at each other Nobody had understood  a word of what he had said and we were all wondering what Tony was on about (but we all knew what the last 2 words were) And then it all became clear.   The Manager said "Ah Tony Youve Still Got your Gumshield in"  The whole changing room near pissed themselves.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

his holiness nb

Nell McCafferys in Celebrity Bainisteoir wasnt bad  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

ziggysego

Heard Tony Scullion speak a few times. Powerful stuff, makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand.

Sooner listen to him and some of the other ones doing the circuit.
Testing Accessibility

North Longford

Had Scullion with us a couple of times last year. The second night he spoke for over an hour after a training session in the dressing room. Never seen or heard the like of him. Amazing stuff. Can't imagine there is anyone better out there although many years ago in Sligo RTC there was a man by the name of Jim Nestor training us and he could fairly speak as well.

Rav67

He had everyone bouncing off the walls I heard in the Ballerin changing room after training a few days before the Derry junior final about 6 years ago, bit of a waste getting so psyched then all the same!  The final against Limavady involved a mass brawl which went on for minutes too, don't know if Tony contributed to that though!

5 Sams

DJ Kane half time in the AIF 1994....."losers win f**king nathin". :o
The Aristocrat Years

Kerry Mike

Paidi O'Se to John Egan before the 1980 AI final.

"I suppose you're going for a few pints afterwards".  "Yerra Paidi I suppose we will"

Getting psyched up Kerry style :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

thebandit

Apparently theres an inches speech that people are fond of  ;)