Euro 2008... Betting Thread

Started by Will Hunting, June 06, 2008, 12:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Hunting

A notoriously difficult championship to predict the winners of, with outsiders such as Greece and Denmark winning in recent tournaments. Nevertheless, as is often the case in international finals, the most organised and solid teams tend to win through.

A couple of bets I like the look of for starters:

Group A: Switzerland to qualify 2.12 (11/10) Betfair
Group C: Romania to qualify 4.5 (7/2) Betfair
Group C: Holland to not qualify 1.9 (layable price) Betfair

corn02

Im old school man.

f**k this laying and points, what;s anyones tips?

I like the look of Toni for top goalscorer, Klose is obviously a strong pick too.

lurganblue

cant see romania qualifying from that group.

what odds on Austria not getting a point?

The Watcher Pat

First 4 matches.....

Czech rep 6/4
Portugal 4/5
Croatia 1/1
Germany 4/7

Pays about 13/1 and wont be too far away...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Rossie11

Bets ive done so far
Holland to finish bottom of group C 10/3 with PP
Greece to win group D 11/2
Ballack ew top scorer 50/1

Dannymcfella

Like the look of Ballack for top scorer EW.
Fancy Benzema of France to be there or there abouts if France progress well.
Croatia would be a good EW bet

Will Hunting

Quote from: lurganblue on June 06, 2008, 12:23:44 PM
cant see romania qualifying from that group.

I know it probably seems like a long-shot, but that group as a whole seems over-rated for me. Romania actually took 4 points of Holland in qualifying, and will fancy their chances of beating them at the finals. Italy, under the stewardship of the inexperienced Roberto Donadoni, might struggle to relive the glory of 2006. They will also miss their general Cannavaro. Romania are well organised enough to get a result, and so I think at 7/2, Romania to qualify is worth a flutter.

corn02

Croatia and Russia for dark horse bets.

Mickey Linden

Russia to qualify from their group 11/8

Ballack player of the tournament 10/1

Rossie11

Will Hunting I agree with you re Romania (thats why im backing the dutch to finish bottom)
In my book they are on a par if not better than Croatia. Technically excellent and have a brilliant striker in Mutu.
They are 4/1 in some places to qualify and 12/1 to win the group is very tempting when you think the french and Italy struggled by the Scots in qualifying!!
The main reason they are under the radar is that they dont have anyone playing in the premier league.
If they were on other side of the draw I would back them to reach final.

corn02

They are not better than Croatia, the Croats midfield is superb.

Rossie11

I think they are.
If Croatia were not in Englands group they wouldnt be half as hyped up.
Truth is England were crap that night.
Eduardo is a huge loss. Dont forget this is same Croat team who couldnt get out of a group with Japan and Oz in WC..

Bogball XV

Quote from: Rossie11 on June 06, 2008, 12:30:24 PM
Bets ive done so far
Holland to finish bottom of group C 10/3 with PP
Greece to win group D 11/2
Ballack ew top scorer 50/1

Who's that 50/1 with, i think he's 30's on betfair, but I reckon he could go close - normally takes 5, possibly 6 to win this. 

Outright:
Hard to see past Germany as they're in the final straight off.  I reckon the swiss could go alright from that side too, the portuguese might not be all they're cracked up to be and I might lay them to qualify at 1.39.
I do like the look of spain, italy aren't good enough, holland aren't good enough, France will have been much improved by Viera's absence and replacement with Flamini and should be spain's biggest competitiors in that side of the draw. 
Back Spain v Germany 11.0 and France v Germany 14.0 to be the finalists. 

Top scorer rarely goes to who you think, an auld brace or a hattrick puts a player well ahead of the game in this race, that's why an outsider might be the best call.

Worst team:
Hard call, Poland, Austria (who i think might just surprise a few and come through the group), Romania, Sweden, Greece??

Dark Horses:
Russia, Switzerland, even the Turks?

jaykay

If any of ye are around Sligo Lee Rhodes are offering interesting betting if you cant make up your minds.  For example if you cant decide between Germany and Spain they'll give you 19/10 either or.
They're also doing the same for top goalscorer.

Rossie11

Ballack 50s with Bruce betting