The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Someone was asking about Townshend the other day for the festival,didn't make the cut but goes in  the 3.15 Kempton but is short in what looks a competitive field, wouldn't be surprised to see Gordon Elliotts monkey Vercingetorix run well in it at a big price but not one for much faith.

Went over to Cheltenham yesterday primarily to watch Don Cossack win the Gold cup and delighted he did,Coopers had plenty of criticism aimed at him over the last few months and i myself questioned a few of his rides but he's still only a kid and has a big future and his emotion after the win yesterday was great to see.
As for Don Cossack himself he frustrated me plenty of times over the years and looked like a big soft  fecker a few times and really tested my patience as a punter but he's become a superstar. Never really had a moments worry yesterday, the mistake about 3 or 4 out the only slight worry i had but otherwise went pretty perfectly and he jumped impeccably.

Thistlecrack the performance of the week for me though and i'll be excited to see what they do with him next year, talk is he'll be going for the Gold cup if the season goes to plan and skipping the Novice races . Sounds a bit mad to be doing it but at 9 next season they don't want to waste a season Novice chasing and he's that much of a monster i wouldn't put it by him to do it if taking to fences.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on March 19, 2016, 11:46:20 AM
Thistlecrack the performance of the week for me though and i'll be excited to see what they do with him next year, talk is he'll be going for the Gold cup if the season goes to plan and skipping the Novice races . Sounds a bit mad to be doing it but at 9 next season they don't want to waste a season Novice chasing and he's that much of a monster i wouldn't put it by him to do it if taking to fences.

Fair play to them I'd say. Too many of the bigger trainers wrap their good horses up in cotton wool these days. He could win another two Stayers Hurdles and never get the adulation that a Gold Cup winner would get. I'm sure the comparison will be made with Iris's Gift but this is a much better horse.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Milltown Row2

Out with my dad for a few.. Stuck with Fairyhouse.... 4 winners!! Were they easy to pick?? I'm hopeless at picking  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Donnellys Hollow

The Mullins hotpots getting a bloody nose at Punchestown. It's almost refreshing to see.

beer baron

It's that time of the year again DH, who wins the Farmers race  :D

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on April 28, 2016, 08:02:14 PM
It's that time of the year again DH, who wins the Farmers race  :D

It won't be me anyway!  >:(

It'll take a good horse to give so much weight to Ross O'Sullivan's mare if she puts in a clear round. Her jumping is supposed to have gone to pieces in her last p2p.

RealSpiritof98

Vroom Vroom and on the fringe have been my saviour, absolute beast of a performance

Aaron Boone

Just back from my solicitor where I obtained the house deeds.
The current plan is to head to Paddy Power at midday  tomorrow to place the deeds on Air Force Blue.

ardchieftain

Been having a nightmare from a punting perspective at Punchestown this week. Thankfully, On the Fringe came in to complete my 'last chance saloon', treble. Phew.

I don't follow the flat at all but there's been loads written about air force blue. Is it really that much of a good thing?

RealSpiritof98

I think the tongue tie has to be a worry, his breathing must be giving bother, on the other hand ive heard minding will go off easy odds on on Sunday.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ardchieftain on April 29, 2016, 10:31:03 PM
I don't follow the flat at all but there's been loads written about air force blue. Is it really that much of a good thing?

Formwise he's an understandable price but you're taking a lot on trust with the sire. There have been plenty of War Fronts who haven't trained on.

Donnellys Hollow

Minding was in a class of her own today. It just proves again what an incredible sire Galileo is. Sire of the first three home and grandsire of the fourth horse.

beer baron

Well what about that then? Anybody that didn't know about Adrian Keatley and Shane Foley sure will now. Brilliant stuff.  :D :D

Donnellys Hollow

Dusty Foley is top class. Has been for a number of years. For him it's just a case of trying to get on good horses.

I'd say Hannon is bulling at that result today!

Donnellys Hollow

Superb result at Epsom for DK, the Aga Khan and Pat Smullen. It would have been a travesty if the great race had eluded one of the greatest trainers.