Buying an iPhone in the USA - any tips/pitfalls

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 03, 2008, 07:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I have a pal visiting the States and I may get him to buy me an iPhone.

I know there seems to be many ways of 'cracking' them but are there anything I should know or be wary of before I give him the nod to get the 16 GB one - i.e. software freeze, music not synching with ITunes. Texting won't work. FM radio won't function (I assume there is an FM radio in it).

I am a Meteor customer here in the Republic.

Apologies if covered before.....

midLouth

I have heard that o2 are the only ones that will support the iphone and even then it is on a crap network not 3g. I have also heard the phone updates itself automatically so any cracks used on it will be null and void after an update. Just what I have heard.

Our Nail Loney

Gonna sound stupid here but what does cracking them mean??

Are they any use? I'm due an upgrade soon, might get one if I was convinced they'd be better than my usual sony ericsson

J70

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 03, 2008, 08:36:24 PM
Gonna sound stupid here but what does cracking them mean??

It means using a fake or unauthorized serial number or some other method to facilitate the illegal use of software.

Our Nail Loney

Ah right see I am an innocent soul and wouldn't have known any of this

The Real Laoislad

Too be honest Shamrock you would be better off waiting for the next gen version to come out,Usually with all these new gadgets the first gen is always a bit of a guinea pig
With the next gen they should have all the problems ironed out and will have 3G or even better
The camera isn't great on the iphone either
If you still want to get one,it is possible to get them chipped for any of the National networks i.e Meteor,O2,Vodafone
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

Some good information there lads.

Much appreciated.

I'll survive for the moment without one, methinks!

The Real Laoislad

Anyway SS what im more concerned about is when did Longfordians start using mobile phones?
Are ye catching up with the world quicker than ye let on?
You'll Never Walk Alone.