International Rules Squad

Started by sligeach, June 03, 2008, 12:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligeach

Ok lads, I know its early days and we still have the championship only starting and ... yadda yadda yadda.

I'm just interested on peoples opinions ?

So who should be on it ? who shouldn't ?

orangeman

Paddy Bradley should be captaen na foirne !

whiskeysteve

paddy bradley  ;) he's crying out for inclusion apparently
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

corn02

Would Dyas have a chance? Obv Clarke and Kennelly are certs.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: corn02 on June 03, 2008, 12:51:58 PM

Interesting. I reckon all the australia based lads should get a chance - if they have reached the senior level over there
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

The Real Laoislad

Not to forget Colm Begley either
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

It'd save a fortune on travel if most of the Irish panel were to consist of players based in Australia  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tyrone Dreamer

I dont mind 2 or 3 of our AFL players making the Irish squad but in my opinion any more than that kinda goes against the nature of the game and spoils it.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 03, 2008, 06:55:39 PM
I dont mind 2 or 3 of our AFL players making the Irish squad but in my opinion any more than that kinda goes against the nature of the game and spoils it.

The lads are still irish, if they're good enough then they should be in.

Tyrone Dreamer

They might be Irish but they're no longer gaelic footballers and most of them havent even played county football at senior level. The games in my eyes are about about pitting the best current gaa players against the best current AFL players. Would like to see Kieran Donaghy play the game again, he was poor the last time but is bound to have potential at this.

sligeach

I believe that the last year the squad lacked many things.

For one, they didn't seem to have the passion for it that they've had in previous years. The squad also seemed to consist of too many guys on the small side and worse still, top class gaelic football forwards who couldn't score!

I reckon we need guys with fight in them, I don't mean punch-up fight, I mean guys that never drop the head.

Fishbat

Quote from: sligeach on June 03, 2008, 12:40:01 PM
Ok lads, I know its early days and we still have the championship only starting and ... yadda yadda yadda.

I'm just interested on peoples opinions ?

So who should be on it ? who shouldn't ?

Sure its already been announced, on the other thread - none of them could be classed as household names mind you.

Whatever the squad is - you can be dead sure there'll be many lads muttering "good enough for ye ya (insert rival county) bollix" as a fellow Irishman gets guillotined by some buffed balloon come October.

Lets face it its the main reason a fair few watch!! 

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 03, 2008, 08:46:44 PM
They might be Irish but they're no longer gaelic footballers and most of them havent even played county football at senior level. The games in my eyes are about about pitting the best current gaa players against the best current AFL players. Would like to see Kieran Donaghy play the game again, he was poor the last time but is bound to have potential at this.

In theory that would be great but if the last game showed anything it was that the Aussies were the much better athletes. It would be great for Irish amateurs to be able to mix it with Aussie pros but the reality was different I'm afraid.
We'd be lambs to the slaughter if we didn't have the likes of Kennelly, Clarke, Begley, O'Hailpin and, if they make an early breakthrough, Hanley, Murphy and Dyas.
And that's presuming the Aussie's only pick a middle of the road side like last time. If they pick a full strength squad, and they well might because they are celebrating 150 years this year, then the gulf will be even more apparent.

Quote from: sligeach on June 04, 2008, 12:21:32 AM
I believe that the last year the squad lacked many things.

For one, they didn't seem to have the passion for it that they've had in previous years. The squad also seemed to consist of too many guys on the small side and worse still, top class gaelic football forwards who couldn't score!

I reckon we need guys with fight in them, I don't mean punch-up fight, I mean guys that never drop the head.

Absolutely agree, if we are to be in any sort of shake up we need Irish based players who are horses for courses. I think in the past that was acknowledged in team selections but it has to be the number one consideration this time - lads that are physically able to handle themselves. Throw in the Irish Aussie Rules players and we might have a fighting chance ;)
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

EugeneGeraghty

He only came on as a sub for the dublin minors against Meath so I don't think its fair to put him into the international rules series. Its not a game for young lads anyways