FIFA eligibility- new and re-worded

Started by Main Street, June 03, 2008, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 03, 2008, 07:09:32 PM
When are you getting thos erules from Main Street. If your right then even RTE and the SDLP have fallen for the propaganda! Not that they'd be immune to getting things entirely wrong.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0602/fai.html

all those reports are quoting the ifa..

Main Street

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 03, 2008, 07:09:32 PM
When are you getting thos erules from Main Street. If your right then even RTE and the SDLP have fallen for the propaganda! Not that they'd be immune to getting things entirely wrong.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0602/fai.html
If you want the truth come to the GAA board. AFAIK all media outlets are getting it wrong. It's probably all sourced to the IFA claiming victory, because the FAI were on holidays on Monday  :) and as always take a quiet dignified but consistent position on the matter.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/bodies/fifa_congress_08_agenda_47752.pdf

13.2 REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE APPLICATION OF THE STATUTES
13.2.1 Eligibility to play for representative teams

'The objective is the complete integration of the various circulars and provisions
within the regulations into the FIFA Statutes without altering the current legal
situation
(cf. Annexe 2 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players,
circular no. 901 dated 19 March 2004 and circular no. 1093 dated 21 June
2007). Under the proposal approved by the Executive Committee, all relevant
provisions have been summarised and added to the Regulations Governing the
Application of the Statutes.
Accordingly, art. 15 in the chapter "Eligibility to play for representative teams" of
the Regulations Governing the Application of the Statutes should be amended
and new art. 16 to 18 should be included.'

New Article 16 (the one the IFA and the OWC are fornicating publically about, in a way that the Mayo Echo would not approve)
applies conditions of eligibility to British passport holders
one passport  but 4 federations. The conditions that are in Article 16 do not apply to Irish citizens.

The other new statutes 17&18 don't apply

So that just leave the re-worded Article 15, which fits perfectly for Irish citizens.

dec

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2008, 09:29:58 AM
New Article 16 is about the conditions for  one nationality who can play for different countries, like the UK British passport holders.

Irish passport holders can play for both the FAI team and the IFA team.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteIf you want the truth come to the GAA board. AFAIK all media outlets are getting it wrong. It's probably all sourced to the IFA claiming victory, because the FAI were on holidays on Monday  Smiley and as always take a quiet dignified but consistent position on the matter.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/bodies/fifa_congress_08_agenda_47752.pdf

13.2 REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE APPLICATION OF THE STATUTES
13.2.1 Eligibility to play for representative teams

'The objective is the complete integration of the various circulars and provisions
within the regulations into the FIFA Statutes without altering the current legal
situation (cf. Annexe 2 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players,
circular no. 901 dated 19 March 2004 and circular no. 1093 dated 21 June
2007). Under the proposal approved by the Executive Committee, all relevant
provisions have been summarised and added to the Regulations Governing the
Application of the Statutes.
Accordingly, art. 15 in the chapter "Eligibility to play for representative teams" of
the Regulations Governing the Application of the Statutes should be amended
and new art. 16 to 18 should be included.'

New Article 16 (the one the IFA and the OWC are fornicating publically about, in a way that the Mayo Echo would not approve)
one passport  but 4 federations. The conditions that are in Article 16 do not apply to Irish citizens.

The other new statutes 17&18 don't apply

So that just leave the re-worded Article 15, which fits perfectly for Irish citizens.

Superb stuff Main Street. Just wait till tomorrow for the retractions laced with "initial reports suggested........" Yes they did suggest but what they suggested was wrong and supposedly world class media outlets like the BBC and RTE reported a misinterpretation because they were too lazy to click on the FIFA website (despite, in the BBC's case, providing a link to their website beside the story).s
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Main Street

Quote from: dec on June 03, 2008, 07:33:01 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2008, 09:29:58 AM
New Article 16 is about the conditions for  one nationality who can play for different countries, like the UK British passport holders.

Irish passport holders can play for both the FAI team and the IFA team.
Irish nationality alone does not qualify you play for NI.
That is what matters.
That why article 16 and its conditions  do not apply.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2008, 07:28:19 PM
one passport  but 4 federations. The conditions that are in Article 16 do not apply to Irish citizens.

Your original post highlighting the amended Article 15 in isolation supports your argument.  However, the new Article 16 along side Article 15 is what is the crux here.  An Irish citizen born in Northern Ireland is eligible to play for either association and therefore Article 16 should be applied.

I have read and re-read the amended, and new articles before posting, and this is the only conclusion I can see.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

magickingdom

Quote from: Chrisowc on June 03, 2008, 08:43:31 PM

Your original post highlighting the amended Article 15 in isolation supports your argument.  However, the new Article 16 along side Article 15 is what is the crux here.  An Irish citizen born in Northern Ireland is eligible to play for either association and therefore Article 16 should be applied.

I have read and re-read the amended, and new articles before posting, and this is the only conclusion I can see.

art 16 would only apply to the irish situtation if anyone holding an irish passport were entitled to play for ni. thats not the case chris as roi holders of irish passports cant play for ni...

Chrisowc

Quote from: magickingdom on June 03, 2008, 09:00:40 PM

art 16 would only apply to the irish situtation if anyone holding an irish passport were entitled to play for ni. thats not the case chris as roi holders of irish passports cant play for ni...

Article 16 relates to someone who's nationality entitles them to represent more than one association and therefore relates to everyone born in Northern Ireland whether they be British/Irish or both.

The IFA have a common nationality with the FA, SFA & FAW but also FAI.

Regardless of par. 1 above,  Associations sharing a common nationality may make an agreement under which item (d) of par. 1 of this article is deleted completely or amended to specify a longer time limit. Such agreements shall be lodged with and approved by the Executive Committee

saffron sam2

I have to disagree with you Chris. IMO, under article 15 anyone holding an Irish passport (i.e. has Irish citizenship) is eligible to play for the FAI teams.  Article 16, as stated by others, covers British nationality and is not relevant to Irish citizens. What the new articles don't cover is exactly the IFA / FAI situation, where technically players can have more than one 'nationality'.

Interestingly, I believe there are moves afoot to attempt to entice Dublin born Owen Garvan of Ipswich into the IFA fold.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

magickingdom

Quote from: Chrisowc on June 03, 2008, 09:28:40 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on June 03, 2008, 09:00:40 PM

Article 16 relates to someone who's nationality entitles them to represent more than one association and therefore relates to everyone born in Northern Ireland whether they be British/Irish or both.

The IFA have a common nationality with the FA, SFA & FAW but also FAI.

Regardless of par. 1 above,  Associations sharing a common nationality may make an agreement under which item (d) of par. 1 of this article is deleted completely or amended to specify a longer time limit. Such agreements shall be lodged with and approved by the Executive Committee

the only way the ifa would have a common nationality with the fai would be if everyone born in ireland could represent either team. thats why fifa legal dept came out with this 'solution' to the problem earlier. the difference is that a british passport represents 4 countries (associations) while an irish passport represents 1 country (association). thus art 16 cannot apply to the irish situtation. all fifa said to the ifa was that they could object and the ifa ran with that. in law that objection is dead in the water..

Main Street

Holders of an Irish passport can play for NI, only if they are born in the North.
It has nothing to with Irish nationality.
An Irish national has no right to declare for the North.
Article 16 is about the right of a nationality to declare for many associations

As Magic says, Irish nationality does not qualify you to play for NI.

Remember FIFA have stated in the explanation that they have not changed the legality of any of their eligibility rules
That means everything is as before.

Article 16  is about the UK passport arrangement and then sets out the eligibility for each one of the 4 associations

Did you not also have problems with understanding the Annex in the past? Also you could not move (even 1/2 an inch) from your fixed position
Anyway the OWC use to cling like barnacles  to the conditions in what is now Article 17 (AKA the Annex)  and as I tried to painstakingly explain in the past that that was just for new nationals.  Article 17 has replaced the Annex.
The headline  for the new Article 17 is
Acquisition of a new nationality :)

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2008, 09:44:39 PM

Holders of an Irish passport can play for NI, only if they are born in the North.
It has nothing to with Irish nationality.
An Irish national has no right to declare for the North.
Article 16 is about the right of a nationality to declare for many associations

As Magic says, Irish nationality does not qualify you to play for NI.

Remember FIFA have stated in the explanation that they have not changed the legality of any of their eligibility rules
That means everything is as before.

Article 16  is about the UK passport arrangement and then sets out the eligibility for each one of the 4 associations

Did you not also have problems with understanding the Annex in the past? Also you could not move (even 1/2 an inch) from your fixed position
Anyway the OWC use to cling like barnacles  to the conditions in what is now Article 17 (AKA the Annex)  and as I tried to painstakingly explain in the past that that was just for new nationals.  Article 17 has replaced the Annex.
The headline  for the new Article 17 is
Acquisition of a new nationality :)

So someone born in Northern Ireland of Northern Irish parents & grandparents is eligible to play for who and what is their nationality?

saffron sam2

IMO, if they have an Irish passport, they are eligible to play for both IFA / FAI. Without an Irish passport IFA only.

They can decide if they are Irish or british.

Chrisowc

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 03, 2008, 10:01:02 PM
IMO, if they have an Irish passport, they are eligible to play for both IFA / FAI. Without an Irish passport IFA only.

They can decide if they are Irish or british.

If they have an Irish passport does this mean they have 'acquired' a new nationality through their passport?

saffron sam2

I would say no. It's an entitlement, rather than something that has been acquired.