FIFA eligibility- new and re-worded

Started by Main Street, June 03, 2008, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 09, 2012, 10:14:49 PM

You copied and pasted the article and deliberately omitted the offending quote by Gibson. I'd say that makes Rowan a cut above you.

Or else as I suspect, you have copied and pasted from foot.ie in which they deliberately omitted the direct quote from Gibson.
Nope, nothing deliberate at all.  I grabbed the article from a thread in the OWC site.
http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=32409&view=findpost&p=749911
and no mention of the said quote in the quoted article on the OWC.
Was it deliberately left out?  I wonder about that conspiracy.
The plot thickens. Why on earth would an OWC board member deliberately leave out that piece?
Can you please post the entire article?

Quote from: trileacman on February 09, 2012, 10:00:20 PM
You're beaten there Main Street, like the lads at the IFA you should pipe down and take it.
As I guessed, the  drivel is taken from a Paul Rowan article
If you in your wisdom wish to value what Paul Rowan surmises about Gibson, then fine.
I don't and that's based on reading his drivel for years.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on February 09, 2012, 10:56:02 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 09, 2012, 10:14:49 PM

You copied and pasted the article and deliberately omitted the offending quote by Gibson. I'd say that makes Rowan a cut above you.

Or else as I suspect, you have copied and pasted from foot.ie in which they deliberately omitted the direct quote from Gibson.
Nope, nothing deliberate at all.  I grabbed the article from a thread in the OWC site.
http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=32409&view=findpost&p=749911
and no mention of the said quote in the quoted article on the OWC.
Was it deliberately left out?  I wonder about that conspiracy.
The plot thickens. Why on earth would an OWC board member deliberately leave out that piece?
Can you please post the entire article?

Quote from: trileacman on February 09, 2012, 10:00:20 PM
You're beaten there Main Street, like the lads at the IFA you should pipe down and take it.
As I guessed, the  drivel is taken from a Paul Rowan article
If you in your wisdom wish to value what Paul Rowan surmises about Gibson, then fine.
I don't and that's based on reading his drivel for years.
I dont have access online and the paper is on my kitchen worktop. The quote posted by Minder is literally the next paragraph from where that article tails off - it actually goes on quite a bit after that. Looks like the truth wasn't palatable to the OWC poster.

Main Street

Well, Paul Rowan is the type to mix and match various quotes from various sources, as is demonstrated by the article on Eunan O'Kane

What Gibson was quoted as saying at the time (2007) in a Man U  media interview was this

"It was unbelievable you know, making the debut for your country. Everyone from Derry wants to play for Ireland
As far as I see it, I'm a Republic of Ireland player and I always will be. That's not going to change. Honestly, there was no politics at all in my decision. It was purely football reasons , to try and play at the highest level with my country."

From that quote, Rowan surmises that Gibson declared for Ireland purely because they have a better football team.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Main Street on February 09, 2012, 11:40:32 PM
Well, Paul Rowan is the type to mix and match various quotes from various sources, as is demonstrated by the article on Eunan O'Kane

What Gibson was quoted as saying at the time (2007) in a Man U  media interview was this

"It was unbelievable you know, making the debut for your country. Everyone from Derry wants to play for Ireland
As far as I see it, I'm a Republic of Ireland player and I always will be. That's not going to change. Honestly, there was no politics at all in my decision. It was purely football reasons , to try and play at the highest level with my country."

From that quote, Rowan surmises that Gibson declared for Ireland purely because they have a better football team.

What he should have taken from it was the key point that he said he wanted to play for his country

The Subbie

anyone on twitter should have a look at @DanielCollins85, he has the eligibility thing sussed and regularly "debates" same with the OWC'ers, they can't touch him for his knowledge of his subject.

Larry Duff

Quote from: Main Street on February 09, 2012, 09:21:55 PM

Like many of the other northerners to turn their back on the country where they played under-age football, O'Kane, from Feeny in Derry, is a Catholic. His decision, as well as those of other Catholics of his generation, is not only threatening to sour relations between the island's two football associations and rival fans, it is also likely to turn the Northern Ireland team into a Catholic-free outfit.

Bit of an "every cloud" line for the OWCers there.

Typical Rowan crap. Future switches to the FAI will hardly be a consequence of O'Kane's decision, with others simply following his example. O'Kane's decision is itself a consequence of much deeper issues. Why not acknowledge some of these issues and look at ways to eradicate them? Maybe he should pen an article on why players who have not made a major breakthrough across the water are happier to be squad players (and in many cases not even that) for Ireland rather than getting regular international football for Are We a Country.

thejuice

The FAI should set up youth training academies in the 6 counties. This will mean that under-age players who want to play for the Republic will not be taking the place of young lads who want to play for NI.

It's the fairest way is it not?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Main Street

Quote from: Larry Duff on February 10, 2012, 10:11:30 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 09, 2012, 09:21:55 PM

PAUL ROWAN ARTICLE
"Like many of the other northerners to turn their back on the country where they played under-age football, O'Kane, from Feeny in Derry, is a Catholic. His decision, as well as those of other Catholics of his generation, is not only threatening to sour relations between the island's two football associations and rival fans, it is also likely to turn the Northern Ireland team into a Catholic-free outfit."

Bit of an "every cloud" line for the OWCers there.
I'm just making it clear that those words were not mine :)
I doubt these days  that the OWC give a fiddlers about the religious affiliation or even what club the player is at.
As long as the player lines up for GSTQ (albeit with bowed head), there is no issue.

One problem is accepting that some players want to play for the FAI and then the prolonged cynical campaign of hate, based on dissecting every piece of gossip to make out that the player must be a bitter, twisted, bigoted, sectarian fxckwit to turn his back on his country to go and play for a foreign team. That a good decent nationalist player is one who lines out to play for NI, bows his head and gets on with the game.