Belfast Students

Started by Maguire01, June 02, 2008, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on September 25, 2008, 08:42:50 PM
what point am I missing? You are trying to make people see this from the residents perspective
I disagree

What do you disagree with? The idea of seeing things from the other side?

pintsofguinness

I'd agree slightly with the students, the houses are shit  around there and most of them could be doing with being knocked down.  I'm surprised anyone can get "locals" to live in them and not just because of the noise problems.  The student's pay ridiculous rent for shit accommodation yet continue to do so? Why? Are there no student unions? - I forgot, they're all out getting pissed.
Why do St Mary's students only pay rent for what? 8 months of the year when around the Holylands students have to pay for 12 months?  What's the story with that?

Anyway, all that said Iceman, if there was never a "local" living in the Holylands it doesn't makes student's behaviour acceptable.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

I'd guess that very few of the locals who live there own their own houses, therefore selling up and moving out is not an option. Many live in housing association stock. If they leave, they will be classed as voluntarily homeless and will not qualify for the NIHE waiting list.

I heard one local resident on the news and he made the good point about the Universitys' responsibility to provide accommodation. A couple of thousand students live in the Elms and there isn't anywhere near as much trouble there. Maybe if Queen's and UU provided enough accommodation, in designated villages with proper facilities, security and policing, the problems wouldn't be as bad. I'm sure such a venture could be self-financing in the long run. As a result, students would get better housing, demand for rented accommodation would drop and so landlords would have to 'up' their game in terms of standards and cost, and maybe the Holylands could become more like any other normal residential part of the city.

Our Nail Loney

Just back there now, was down showing the freshers how its done for the last two nights!

The hatfield is cleaning up, bunged yesterday by about one o clock

Was there from elevn masel, didnt make it out! Good time though

The Gs Man

Nail, any hurling played at 2 a.m. using apples for sliotairs?

There wouldn't have been much ear-licking going on either, what with the Hurricane not being there.......
Keep 'er lit

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: The Gs Man on September 26, 2008, 02:08:49 PM
Nail, any hurling played at 2 a.m. using apples for sliotairs?

There wouldn't have been much ear-licking going on either, what with the Hurricane not being there.......

Was surely sure the residents have an awful time of it, least they get the odd robbery at the weekend to keep them going!!

Stomach is in bits here, like tommy hamill!

The Iceman

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 25, 2008, 08:47:18 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on September 25, 2008, 08:42:50 PM
what point am I missing? You are trying to make people see this from the residents perspective
I disagree

What do you disagree with? The idea of seeing things from the other side?

I just wanted to make you take what you were saying about the residents and imagine if it was your parents blah blah blah and see it from the students side and imagine it was your parents blah blah blah
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Over the Bar

I was driving past the Hatfield on Tuesday at 3pm and there were about 20 fellas & girls sitting outside in Tyrone jersies.  Oh for the student life again! lol

nifan

It isnt just "locals"  there are plenty of students who get pissed off with other students wrecking the joint.
You here some boys having a great laugh about the "craic" when someone pissed through a letterbox, or broke off a wing mirror and all that oul shite

Minder

So all the muck savages hang out in the Hatfield? Best avoided then........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

screenexile

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 26, 2008, 03:44:06 PM
I was driving past the Hatfield on Tuesday at 3pm and there were about 20 fellas & girls sitting outside in Tyrone jersies.  Oh for the student life again! lol

It's them Tyrone b****s all the time... you can take them nowhere. It's a pity the good folk from the other 8 Counties have their reputations damaged by the actions of that Tyrone shower.... they shouldn't be allowed  to go to University. SUre isn't Loughry offering HNDs in farming now? They should stay there away from the big smoke anyway because they obviously can't handle the freedom. Like letting monkeys out of their cage!

full back

Quote from: screenexile on September 26, 2008, 03:58:33 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 26, 2008, 03:44:06 PM

It's them Tyrone b****s all the time... you can take them nowhere. It's a pity the good folk from the other 8 Counties have their reputations damaged by the actions of that Tyrone shower.... they shouldn't be allowed  to go to University. SUre isn't Loughry offering HNDs in farming now? They should stay there away from the big smoke anyway because they obviously can't handle the freedom. Like letting monkeys out of their cage!

And thats just the fella's
The women are far worse....

SidelineKick

nail u never make it out anyway  ;)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

DownFanatic

1st week back in the smoke myself. Living on Fitzroy. The Holylands were well patrolled by the cops and wardens all week. Didnt get much kip though as a group of culchy ballickses used my window sill as a beer garden. I had to revert to drinking a bottle of Buckfast every night to help me sleep ;D

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: T O Hare on September 25, 2008, 08:40:55 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on September 25, 2008, 05:35:28 PM
Quote from: Mickey Linden on September 25, 2008, 05:02:11 PM
Those were the days Tommy lad! Wouldnt mind going down on a comeback tour myself!

Maybe even give it a rattle myself......Show them how its done.....

You made the guiness book of records did nt you Pat.. 10 fresher weeks in a row!!!!!

Oh yes any excuse for a week off work on the rip!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME