Belfast Students

Started by Maguire01, June 02, 2008, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Reminds me a bit of the 'Give my head peace' (or whatever they call it now) sketch

Our Nail Loney

Noone ever offers the flipside, when I was in my second year walking home (drunk) by myself I got mugged on university avenue, wouldn't think it was students that did this, lost my money and my phone.

Plus I think my house(s) have been robbed about ten times in four years, at the weekends mostly.

Also saw a student house getting threatened to be burnt out, a house of girls who barely went out

The residents in the holylands are the lowest of the low

Plus what about the landlords/house owners? Cramming as many cash cows into each house as they can, taking three storey houses and turning them into three separate flats with about three ppl sharing a kitchen and living room the size of your bathroom at home

Puckoon

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 02, 2008, 08:36:06 PM
Noone ever offers the flipside, when I was in my second year walking home (drunk) by myself I got mugged on university avenue, wouldn't think it was students that did this, lost my money and my phone.

Plus I think my house(s) have been robbed about ten times in four years, at the weekends mostly.

Also saw a student house getting threatened to be burnt out, a house of girls who barely went out

The residents in the holylands are the lowest of the low

Plus what about the landlords/house owners? Cramming as many cash cows into each house as they can, taking three storey houses and turning them into three separate flats with about three ppl sharing a kitchen and living room the size of your bathroom at home

Are they really the residents of the holylands NAIL, or are they the sc**bag elements from neighbouring areas who just know where to pick on vunerable students?

Hurler on the Bitch

Ref Belfast Students... perhaps Blow-ins from the country?... the thing is that if you have six lads from the country and say three get into Queen's - well the other three will move up for the 'crack'.. get a shite job in a bar and party!!! .... Sad bestards!

Stalin

Actually pints that assault you quoted might have some credence, just remembered all the lovely big heifers of wemen you would see in shaws and the likes with their packed out Tyrone/Armagh jersey on :D

My own experiences perhaps offer a microcosmic perspective of the troubles in the Holylands. Almost every week some w**ker was coming home blocked and kicking the wing mirror off my car, a temporary but ongoing problem. But once, my car was broken into by spides and proper damage was done!

New reply by ONL-the landlords in the Holylands are a joke, f**king over students as much as they can for an extra buck in the month.

New reply by HOTB- wtf lol (ps only the english spell it 'crack.')
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

pintsofguinness

Agree with yous on the Landlords and I don't understand why the student's unions don't speak up about this - do they do anything?

Why is it that the students of Queens and UUJ have to take on 12 month leases when the students of St Mary's refuse and get away with refusing to take on 12 month leases?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on June 02, 2008, 08:39:18 PM
Ref Belfast Students... perhaps Blow-ins from the country?... the thing is that if you have six lads from the country and say three get into Queen's - well the other three will move up for the 'crack'.. get a shite job in a bar and party!!! .... Sad bestards!

Lived in belfast five years and have to say I have never seen this happen, have you any evidence to back this up hotb?

haranguerer

I lived in the holylands for 4 years, and aye, mostly it was great craic. Towards the end though, I definitely noticed it deteroriating, there was a spotlight programme which heightened tensions for a while. All the 'Up the Ra' shit is ridiculous, I remember shortly after the aforementioned programme, everyone gathered on the streets, for whatever reason. I was a latecomer, but Alex MAskey came out to disperse everyone. The jist of what he said was 'Yous are all pricks, away home and shut up', but cos it was alex maskey everyone cheered, instead of rasing whatever grievances they felt they had.
In my last year, I was trying to get work done, and fell out with a few student houses, forming an unlikely alliance with an oul bitch that lived beside us, so I know what its like from their point of view. There definitley does need to be something done, and its up to the students to wise up.

Having said that, the story above is sensationalist, and doesnt attempt perspective. For example:  The only person I have honestly ever heard of getting attacked in the holylands was a student who was hit across the face with a baseball bat by a resident who was hiding in an alley - he was in intensive care for months, but thankfully made an almost full recovery.
Also,I'm amazed that some of the above stories havent popped up before, I still live in belfast, and am sure they would have been seen somewhere. Also, just for fun: Strong racist element  'It's so bad that a family of Zimbabwean asylum seekers moved out'
also, irresponsible parenting, taking her baby daughter to work, esp such a dangerous posting after hours...

Our Nail Loney

Yeah I have never heard of any of these stories they have mentioned, if this went on then people would defiitely be talking about it for ages!

Plus I am with corn in that I have spent my fair share of time in the shaws and had many's a fry from helen's. Plus i dare you to call it some shitty place to helen and her army of workers they would have you for breakfast lunch and dinner son.

You could also fall out with charles stubbs for comments like that

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 02, 2008, 07:45:11 PM
I dont think the residents are entirely blameless apart from anything else  some of the comments in that article make them look like right wankers.
Maybe they're not, but i'd find it hard to be rational if i lived in there permanently.

Quote from: Stalin on June 02, 2008, 08:20:17 PM
Yes, but on the other hand, the residents cause the students a lot of problems. What about all the craic with the paint stripper being poured over cars on Agincourt at the beginning of the 06/07 term for example?

Cant be bothered to read through the article again but I would seriously doubt the gravity of some of these 'assaults.' Strange for the police not acting upon some of those claims  ::)
The paint-stripper on cars was mentioned in a side column of the article in the paper.
You doubt that assaults happen on the basis that the police didn't act on such claims? Such a possibility is really beyond comprehension?

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 02, 2008, 09:00:50 PM
Yeah I have never heard of any of these stories they have mentioned, if this went on then people would defiitely be talking about it for ages!
But you're hearing them now.  Why would you necessarily have heard them all before?

Our Nail Loney

Because i have lived in belfast for five years thats why. I am gonna stand by what I said until he gives me examples, plural, of this accusation he made. Complete anti-student bullshit. Why do youse all ball lick the spides? Do you resent the students getting to uni and having a good time while you were at home w**king off cows?

pintsofguinness

QuoteMaybe they're not, but i'd find it hard to be rational if i lived in there permanently.

Yeah maybe so but some of the comments about the country and the farms just show them up to be typical Belfast wankers!

Nail
QuoteBecause i have lived in belfast for five years thats why. I am gonna stand by what I said until he gives me examples, plural, of this accusation he made. Complete anti-student bullshit. Why do youse all ball lick the spides? Do you resent the students getting to uni and having a good time while you were at home w**king off cows?
So because you've lived in Belfast for five years you're aware of everything that has happened?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 02, 2008, 09:08:46 PM
Because i have lived in belfast for five years thats why. I am gonna stand by what I said until he gives me examples, plural, of this accusation he made. Complete anti-student bullshit. Why do youse all ball lick the spides? Do you resent the students getting to uni and having a good time while you were at home w**king off cows?

Do you protest too much?
Who is 'ball licking' spides? I'm sure there have been plenty of 'spide' treads - this story is about students.

Oh, and i went to University - Queen's and UU - and still live in Belfast 11 years later. I had a great time at Uni, went out loads, got drunk plenty of time, like most students.  However, i don't believe i ever did anything as shameful as in that article, or impacted negatiely on local residents.

I have also never wanked off a cow.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 02, 2008, 09:10:42 PM
QuoteMaybe they're not, but i'd find it hard to be rational if i lived in there permanently.

Yeah maybe so but some of the comments about the country and the farms just show them up to be typical Belfast wankers!

Nail
QuoteBecause i have lived in belfast for five years thats why. I am gonna stand by what I said until he gives me examples, plural, of this accusation he made. Complete anti-student bullshit. Why do youse all ball lick the spides? Do you resent the students getting to uni and having a good time while you were at home w**king off cows?
So because you've lived in Belfast for five years you're aware of everything that has happened?

Yes, many people call me the life and soul of the holylands

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 02, 2008, 09:08:46 PM
while you were at home w**king off cows?

Does this serve a purpose or is it purely recreational?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad