Belfast Students

Started by Maguire01, June 02, 2008, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgy umpire

Quote from: leenie on March 18, 2009, 07:34:12 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on March 18, 2009, 05:42:19 PM
Apparently an inter county footballer walked into a house on Carmel St.  Hearing this a large contingent of Mucksavii swarmed the area.  It was all downhill from there.

;D ;D

several inter county footballers were to be seen enjoying the day on carmel street. there was no trouble untill police men with automatic weapens and riot gear sealed off the street
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Tony Baloney

Quote from: dodgy umpire on March 18, 2009, 07:43:52 PM
Apparently an inter county footballer walked into a house on Carmel St.  Hearing this a large contingent of Mucksavii swarmed the area.  It was all downhill from there.

;D ;D

several inter county footballers were to be seen enjoying the day on carmel street. there was no trouble untill police men with automatic weapens and riot gear sealed off the street
You weren't one of the students then ;)

milltown row

Minder

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 18, 2009, 09:55:45 PM
The PSNI didn't show the same level of enthusiasm for tackling the roiters in Lurgan last week when masked rioters with petrol bombs were allowed to take charge of the area.  Contrast this to a crowd of students and their mates fuelled by too much alcohol, not hiding their identities and mucking about.

I thought it was significant that the Superintendent interviewed on TV about the Holyland was quite belligerent in his attitude and not much older than some of the young people in the Holyland.  A lack of experience of crowd control mixed with a high level of aggression became enough to have riot police in a situation where some level of negotiation with university authorities at an earlier stage might have been enough to get through the evening.  A bit of forward planning by restricting the flow of natives from the Ormeau Road into the area would have helped.  Generally aggression is met with aggression and the police in riot gear was overkill.  Work with young people to modify behaviour and gain their respect.  Authority comes from showing respect for others.
We have a serious drinking culture among young people and the reputation of the carry on in the Holyland is known far and wide.  There are young people who already have located and paid a deposit on a house in the Holyland before they have completed their A levels.  The ambition is to get to Belfast and to join in the culture that they have learned about from their older mates or by visiting the Holyland for the craic.

My greatest worry is that the behaviour in the Holyland shown repeatedly on TV and the Internet will simply encourage the next crop of students to head in that direction and join in the carry on as soon as possible.  Too many A level students have already visited the area to stay with their mates and can't wait to get back.

People are notoriously hard to "work" with when they have consumed three gallons of Buckfast.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stiffler

The PSNI didn't show the same level of enthusiasm for tackling the roiters in Lurgan last week when masked rioters with petrol bombs were allowed to take charge of the area.  Contrast this to a crowd of students and their mates fuelled by too much alcohol, not hiding their identities and mucking about.

I thought it was significant that the Superintendent interviewed on TV about the Holyland was quite belligerent in his attitude and not much older than some of the young people in the Holyland.  A lack of experience of crowd control mixed with a high level of aggression became enough to have riot police in a situation where some level of negotiation with university authorities at an earlier stage might have been enough to get through the evening.  A bit of forward planning by restricting the flow of natives from the Ormeau Road into the area would have helped.  Generally aggression is met with aggression and the police in riot gear was overkill.  Work with young people to modify behaviour and gain their respect.  Authority comes from showing respect for others.

We have a serious drinking culture among young people and the reputation of the carry on in the Holyland is known far and wide.  There are young people who already have located and paid a deposit on a house in the Holyland before they have completed their A levels.  The ambition is to get to Belfast and to join in the culture that they have learned about from their older mates or by visiting the Holyland for the craic.

My greatest worry is that the behaviour in the Holyland shown repeatedly on TV and the Internet will simply encourage the next crop of students to head in that direction and join in the carry on as soon as possible.  Too many A level students have already visited the area to stay with their mates and can't wait to get back.

Best post on this thread to date.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Maguire01

Work with young people to modify behaviour and gain their respect.  Authority comes from showing respect for others.

Seriously, come on. These people are third level students, not a disadvantaged underclass.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2009, 07:48:24 PM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on March 18, 2009, 07:43:52 PM

;D ;D

You weren't one of the students then ;)

i was one of the peelers ;D
The Boys in Red and Black are back

ardmhachaabu

TYP, I know where you are coming from but I think you are way off on this one.  My wife and I have friends in the area with a young baby - the scumbags (whether students or locals, I don't care which) have been at this carry-on on St Paddy's Day for a number of years till all hours of the night.  If the PSNI had dealt with them properly, I would have applauded them.  Coppers in riot gear doing nothing but standing there letting people throw stuff at them is bullshit though.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

nifan

QuoteMy greatest worry is that the behaviour in the Holyland shown repeatedly on TV and the Internet will simply encourage the next crop of students to head in that direction and join in the carry on as soon as possible.

That horse has bolted long ago I am afraid. That was the attitude amongst many 10 years ago when i started.

What happened this year to my eye looked less bad than years ago when there was worse outside renshaws/Dukes at the end of the night - was there any problems later on at night this year.

ziggysego

The Irish News have named the 5 that were up in court yesterday, along with photos.
Testing Accessibility

thebigfella

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 18, 2009, 10:30:39 PM
TYP, I know where you are coming from but I think you are way off on this one.  My wife and I have friends in the area with a young baby - the scumbags (whether students or locals, I don't care which) have been at this carry-on on St Paddy's Day for a number of years till all hours of the night.  If the PSNI had dealt with them properly, I would have applauded them.  Coppers in riot gear doing nothing but standing there letting people throw stuff at them is bullshit though.

Not defending anyone but what's has having a young baby got to do with this whole thing? Are these scumbags, as you call them, going around and sacrificing the first born of everyone.

Minder

Quote from: thebigfella on March 19, 2009, 09:02:22 AM

Not defending anyone but what's has having a young baby got to do with this whole thing? Are these scumbags, as you call them, going around and sacrificing the first born of everyone.

I take it he is alluding to the fact that if you have a young baby the last thing you want is a pile of go*shites wrecking and smashing at all hours.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

amallon

Did anyone see the student interviewed on BBC Newsline last night?  The lad was obviously still half cut and came out with a comment blaming the cops and saying "sure its only one day a year"!  :o  All this time his mates were saying stuff out the window to him.  Then they were interviewing a fella from the residents association and a fella in a cape was running around behind them!  :D
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

thebigfella

Quote from: Minder on March 19, 2009, 09:11:03 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on March 19, 2009, 09:02:22 AM

I take it he is alluding to the fact that if you have a young baby the last thing you want is a pile of go*shites wrecking and smashing at all hours.

That is true but then again whether you have a young baby or not, you still would want a pile of gob*hites wrecking and smashing at all hours.

Owenbeg

saw them, the one boy had a loup jersey on him and made a real p***k of himself, with his friends givin him greif from above, the other 2 boys they interview actually looked like spides!!!! They really aint doin themselves any favours cos ever time they interiew a residents some buck idiot would start runnin by the camera actin the idiot cheered on by his friends. As for a few years ago outside renshaws that was usual started by idiots from a certain mountain area of south derry, who had a long running fued's with the bouncers coming into the city.