Pictures worth a 1000 words.

Started by Zapatista, May 31, 2008, 10:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

One of my favourite sporting pictures

doire na raithe

Was trying to study my GCSE's at the time but I was utterly engrossed and obsessed by the Roy Keane saga in 2002. Always remember this photo in the papers.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

lurganblue

some pictures of a place that has had a strong influence on me.... Mauthausen Concentration Camp in Austria

and the dissecting table

thought to have been between 122,766 and 320,000  deaths, killings here.

tieroan

That Afhgan girl is absolutley stunning.
Is there some significance to the photo homer posted with the guy on the operating table?

Candyman

Quote from: tieroan on June 02, 2008, 09:22:47 AM
Is there some significance to the photo homer posted with the guy on the operating table?
Am i stupid or is not because he is a KKK member in full uniform and the docs/medical team treating him are ALL black???

tieroan

Thanks Candyman. It is me that is stupid. Must be something to do with the 10 pints of stout I had yesterday. I never spotted the uniform. I thought it was hospital sheets.!

Candyman

Quote from: tieroan on June 02, 2008, 09:36:16 AM
Thanks Candyman. It is me that is stupid. Must be something to do with the 10 pints of stout I had yesterday. I never spotted the uniform. I thought it was hospital sheets.!

:D :D Fair enough but I thought the big pointy hat would be a give away...  ;)

gallsman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2008, 11:19:09 PM

Louis (right) is pictured knocking out Germany's Max Schmeling on 22 June 1938 in New York. With the Second World War just months away, the worldwide significance of this fight cannot be underestimated.

Bollocks. Schmelling despised the Nazis and everything they stood for. Hitler and Goebbels tried to use him as another poster boy of the Aryan race and that's about it. The only people who read anything into the whole "Black vs. Nazi" thing were the Nazis themselves.

doire na raithe

Quote from: lurganblue on June 02, 2008, 08:29:05 AM
some pictures of a place that has had a strong influence on me.... Mauthausen Concentration Camp in Austria

I hate to be synical and anyone feel free to correct me if you think i'm way off the mark here... but I find it very hard to believe that or understand why the Nazis would have had signs up saying 'Execution Hall' or 'Gas Chamber? I'm assuming thats roughly what the signs say translated.

under the bar

QuoteI hate to be synical and anyone feel free to correct me if you think i'm way off the mark here... but I find it very hard to believe that or understand why the Nazis would have had signs up saying 'Execution Hall' or 'Gas Chamber? I'm assuming thats roughly what the signs say translated.

Maybe the signs were put up later for the tourists?

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Candyman on June 02, 2008, 09:24:53 AM
Quote from: tieroan on June 02, 2008, 09:22:47 AM
Am i stupid or is not because he is a KKK member in full uniform and the docs/medical team treating him are ALL black???

Or he could just be seriously regretting his choice of Halloween costume.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Puckoon

That photo of the KKK member being treated by the black Drs and Nurses seems a little fake to me.

It looks like its been photoshopped a bit - and when you consider that particular climate, I find it very hard to believe that the staff in a southern USA hospital back then was made up of a high enough percentage of black workers for the picture to be plausible.

I could be completely wrong.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

red hander

Quote from: dodo on June 01, 2008, 12:29:32 AM

QuoteThe famous cover of the National Geographic magazine of June 1985 shows an Afghan refugee fleeing the Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan. The picture is valuable as it vividly demonstrates the genetic imprint of the Aryans who founded Afghanistan 4000 years ago. The girl's eyes are green, her hair light brown and her features almost indistinguishable from modern Europeans which represents the last remaining traces of the Aryans in Afghanistan

National Geographic actually went back 20 years later to see if they could find the girl again ... and they succeeded.  She looked a hell of a lot older than the 20 years and her face was really lined, but the eyes were totally unmistakeable ... maybe someone could trace that pic?