Conspiracy theories

Started by corn02, May 30, 2008, 02:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on June 03, 2008, 02:46:24 PM
Reminds me - anyone watch the shuttle/space station going over the last few nights? It's strangely impressive, given that it's just a light moving across the sky. I missed the first night, which I hear was spectacular because it was just after launch and you could see the jettisoned fuel tank and the shuttle separately.

I checked this morning and it was due to be visible for about 4 minutes from 23:14 tonight, but that's now disappeared from the website ( http://www.heavens-above.com/) and they only have tomorrow night's times, but I assume tonight stands as well. It moves across the sky from roughly Northwest to Southeast.

Or maybe it's just a Hollywood hoax, with lasers and projectors and stuff.  :)

Yeah saw it saturday evening after i got back from match in Carlow just after 9.30pm.It had just launched from Florida 18mins earlier when it passed over the southern end of Ireland
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

Saw it Sun night but too much cloud last night.

Feckers in Astronomy Ireland (www.astronomy.ie) want to charge 95c per min to hear what time it will be visible tonight.

As regards the moon why can't The Hubble telescope be trained on the landing area to see if the flag etc is still there.

Main Street

Telescope to challenge moon doubters

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/24/1037697982142.html

But
"Getting to the moon really isn't much of a problem - the Russians did that in 1959," he said. "The big problem is getting people there."

According to Mr Allen, NASA was forced to send robots to the moon and faked the manned missions because radiation levels in space were lethal to humans.

AZOffaly

What a great name for a telescope. I wonder is it sponsored by Ronseal.

QuoteNow astronomers hope to kill off the conspiracy theory forever by using the Very Large Telescope (VLT) - by far the most powerful telescope in the world - to spot the Apollo lunar landers.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on June 03, 2008, 01:29:47 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 01, 2008, 08:53:42 PM
Quote3) The journey from the moon or the earth is relative  easy , ie once you've escaped earth gravity its simple a matter of pointing at the moon and go
:o
That's simplistic!

If it was so easy to do the Russians - who had already managed to send man to space (before the americans) and who had already had successful unmanned missions to the Moon would have done it before NASA.   
If it was so easy - with all the advances in technology why do NASA feel that it will take to 2018 to go there again?
I said relative(ly) easy. how many probes have been lost mid voyage? Few i know of most are lost on Lauch/Re entry

NASA are aiming for Mars so they are having to design a whole new  system of spacecraft .   New rockets, new landers,new everything (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Constellation)  . I noticed of the 5 points i listed you can't refute them and your clutching at straws here

I didnt comment on your other points because I don't see what relevance they have to what we're talking about.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2008, 04:39:16 PM
What a great name for a telescope. I wonder is it sponsored by Ronseal.

QuoteNow astronomers hope to kill off the conspiracy theory forever by using the Very Large Telescope (VLT) - by far the most powerful telescope in the world - to spot the Apollo lunar landers.
The VLT  ;D
Would have been a good story for April 1st.

Yes I Would

Provos robbing the Northern Bank!!

Main Street

I see they have sent a JCB of sorts to Mars

This picture is, ahem ahem, an artists impression ;D