what size hurl to get a young boy

Started by the Deel Rover, May 29, 2008, 09:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Ah feck it left meself wide open again Az ;) thought i had the guard up that time :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tony Baloney

I bought a small Doyle stick for my boy last year when he was 3 and it was a 24. Cost me £15!!!  :o

nrico2006

Knowing you it must have broke your heart Tony - but you spent nearly as much as that on that wee Thai boy a few years ago did you not....
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

a) you don't know me and b) you and the site administrators will be hearing from my solicitor

Minder

I think you should apologise Nrico, that is a pretty serious allegation.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Farrandeelin

Hopefully your young lad will continue his interest in hurling and not want to take up football after this Sunday Deel Rover. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 04, 2008, 07:29:50 PM
Hopefully your young lad will continue his interest in hurling and not want to take up football after this Sunday Deel Rover. ;)

Jesus we need as much protection as possible when we head to the parish of the backs we might need the hurls on sunday farrandelin :P :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

dodo

How do you get a young lad, will be 7 soon, to keep his right hand high on the hurl ?

He insists on holding the hurl golf grip style.

dodo

No more than Deel Rover's young lad, this buckeen is showing interest in hurling on his own. He's swinging away with what even I would see as an overly complicated swing. Will I just leave him on with making it up on his own ?
He'll be going to play hurling with a neighbouring club soonish anyway as our club is football only.

dodo

the Deel Rover

jesus dodo we will have the liam mc carthy here soon in mayo :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

Regard to grip, I wouldn't push it. I hurl off my left side normally, and I have the right hand on top. It actually makes you harder to hook because you don't have as big a swinging arc, you throw the ball up from 'under' the hurl and swing across the body.

What I would do, and I'm trying this with my 20 month old already, is to get him swinging on both sides. That's a big advantage. Start him with swinging left and right on the ground, and when he's able to puck it out of his hand, make sure he strikes off both sides. He'll actually get more distance off his left side, with the bigger swing, if he gets comfortable with it.

With my little lad, I have him swinging at daisys or tennis balls, left side, right side, but I make a game out of it :D Same with the football, kick with left and right.

the Deel Rover

your wee man won't have a minute Az between the hurling ,football, Rugby, soccer, Amercian Football , Baseball , Basketball  ;) :
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

He'll learn the basics of hurling and football early from me :D But he can play what he wants as he grows up :D

the Deel Rover

ya i'd be they same way except however does anyone know where i could get a set of small golf clubs wouldn't mind retiring in a few years  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers