McQuaid, how long will the ban be?

Started by his holiness nb, May 26, 2008, 12:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Main Street on May 27, 2008, 04:10:09 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on May 27, 2008, 01:11:47 PM
Anything to say about the non Dubs calling for long bans??? Or is it only mopery depending on what county you do and dont like?  ::)

Heffo, do you not know what MOPE means? ;D

I think I was pretty clear & upfront when I said that I didn't speak your dialect and wasn't 100% sure what a mope was!

I'm not advocating 12 weeks, but there were two if not three red card offences in the same tackle.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Main Street on May 27, 2008, 04:10:09 PM
I assume that the sensible objective knowledgeable posters like Seanie,,Orangeman, AZOffaly etc  are non Dubs and anybody else saying 12 weeks and throw away the key is a Moped up Dub.
Ballyhaise Man can say what he wants, nobody will take him serious :)
Heffo, do you not know what MOPE means? ;D

And I suppose my starting the thread to discuss the ban and if it will be unfairly influenced by the harsh penalties recieved by Dublin and Meath, and suggesting that copying the harshness would be wrong, is somehow mopery?
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

MOPE is a term borrowed from OWC I think, they refer to anyone who seems to be over eager to play the woe is me card.

M(ost)O(ppressed)P(erson/eople)E(ver).

Two Hands FFS

How long did Colm McFadden get for hitting Dooher last year?? It was quite similar. Probably a better dig actually  :D

Denn Forever

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2008, 04:18:56 PM
MOPE is a term borrowed from OWC I think, they refer to anyone who seems to be over eager to play the woe is me card.

I've seen it lots but what is WUM?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly

Wind Up Merchant. Someone who just poses to take make people get annoyed.

billy the kid

In all fairness for what Mcquaid done, deliberate trip + petulent flick out of foot + and punch he prob deserves about 8 weeks IMO but with all three  things combined, the fact he hit the man when he was getting up of the ground (which looked worse but really is no different than an ordinary punch) and the fact the GAA have set a Harsh precedent with the Dublin Meath game and the onus on them to be consistent, it wouldnt suprise me if he got 12 weeks.  But I def think he deserves at about 8
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

his holiness nb

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2008, 04:18:56 PM

So by suggesting the GAA shouldnt pander to the current hysteria when banning a MONAGHAN player, is Dublin mopery? Confusing.

Or is it that ONE dub who said 12 weeks minimum is suddenly representative of the other Dubs who posted alternative views on this thread?

Main Street, you need to explain yourself here.  ???
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 27, 2008, 05:08:10 PM
So by suggesting the GAA shouldnt pander to the current hysteria when banning a MONAGHAN player, is Dublin mopery? Confusing.

Or is it that ONE dub who said 12 weeks minimum is suddenly representative of the other Dubs who posted alternative views on this thread?

Main Street, you need to explain yourself here.  ???
Although you did start this entertaining thread Holiness, I didn't at any time think you were a Hanging Dub :)
I was more thinking of others.

4  Dubs
1 out and out Mope
2 certified Mopes
one borderline ;D

1. "12 weeks minimum in my view. that was quite simply outrageous and if a dublin player did the same people here would be calling for a 6 month"

2. "absolute minumum of 8 and in my view it should be 12."

3. "I'm just wondering whether we'll see the same faux-outrage...nothing to do with a siege mentality.."

4. "he should get 12 weeks anyway!"

johnpower

Quote from: Main Street on May 26, 2008, 01:05:21 PM
On Sunday other players didn't get involved in retaliation, they let the ref deal with it.

The whole tackle and assault was worth about 2 yellows as well as a  straight red.
(McQuaid should definitly get 4 or 6 weeks more than what Vaughan got for punching Freeman)

I think 8 weeks would take us up the first qualifier.
Certainly it was a dirthy foul punch as the Fermanagh player was just getting up but you'd have to agree, in boxing terms,  it's execution (with no back lift) was as clean as you get.

I agree no ugly melee ensued Ref dealt with it . Some how I think that Monaghan will accept the suspension and get on with it . Bad day at the office they will be back

Model Hammer

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on May 27, 2008, 04:26:31 PM
How long did Colm McFadden get for hitting Dooher last year?? It was quite similar. Probably a better dig actually  :D

Yeah, I thought of McFadden straight away - frustration leading to crisp clean punch right in front of ref, linesmen and nation. I think McFadden got 8 weeks, so I would expect somthing similar here ... albeit his was only one strike!

orangeman

Quote from: billy the kid on May 27, 2008, 04:38:01 PM
In all fairness for what Mcquaid done, deliberate trip + petulent flick out of foot + and punch he prob deserves about 8 weeks IMO but with all three  things combined, the fact he hit the man when he was getting up of the ground (which looked worse but really is no different than an ordinary punch) and the fact the GAA have set a Harsh precedent with the Dublin Meath game and the onus on them to be consistent, it wouldnt suprise me if he got 12 weeks.  But I def think he deserves at about 8

Lads the referee's report will say striking - 4 weeks =- simple - there won't be any big enquiry into it, about how he went to trip the man or kick him - he was sent off for raising his hand / fist which equates to a 4 week ban - nothing more.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2008, 10:03:34 AM

Lads the referee's report will say striking - 4 weeks =- simple - there won't be any big enquiry into it, about how he went to trip the man or kick him - he was sent off for raising his hand / fist which equates to a 4 week ban - nothing more.

Striking is a minimum of 4 weeks.

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on May 28, 2008, 10:05:44 AM

Yes I know and that's all he will get as he doesn't deserve anything more - sure he barely hit the man a slap - not like that Dublin brawl !!  ;) ;) ;)

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2008, 10:13:00 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 28, 2008, 10:05:44 AM

Yes I know and that's all he will get as he doesn't deserve anything more - sure he barely hit the man a slap - not like that Dublin brawl !!  ;) ;) ;)

Dya mean the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time he struck him??  ???