Round the world trip help

Started by JimStynes, May 25, 2008, 07:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Im heading away at the end of the year on a trip around the world. Head from London to Dubai- Singapore-Phuket - Perth - Melbourne - Christchurch - Aukland - Los Angeles - New York and home for just over £1300 from Sta Travel. I mite try get miami in ther to. I was meant to be just going out to Australia but thought f**k it especially with that price.

I have asked if this includes taxes etc and it does. Just hope the c***ts dont have any hidden costs somewhere. Its going to cost some serious money to do it all but f**k it just finished uni and mite aswell do it now.

Does anybody know anything about these sorts of packages. What kind of bank account is best for this, i dont really want to be running about Singapore with cash. How much money do you roughly think i would need. Planning on working in australia for a good 6 months to raise funds for the second half of the trip.

doire na raithe

You'll probably need around £4.50

Tyrones own

Great trip planned, regarding how much money you'll need will depend
on a few things like are you able to stay with friends at any of the ports of call ?
are you going alone or are you taking the quere one with you to name a few.
Travelers cheques are a good way to go along with a money belt, if by chance you do loose the cheques they are replaceable.
1300 is a great price for that and the only hidden charges you might face is landing fees for some airports but they are
generally included, and fees for changing of dates on your tickets on the different legs of the journey can get up there.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Pangurban

Singapore is probably the safest Country in the World to be running about with Cash. Travel Cheques and plastic your only way to go, and expect to get ripped off on exchange rates

JimStynes

Quote from: Tyrones own on May 25, 2008, 08:35:25 PM
Great trip planned, regarding how much money you'll need will depend
on a few things like are you able to stay with friends at any of the ports of call ?
are you going alone or are you taking the quere one with you to name a few.
Travelers cheques are a good way to go along with a money belt, if by chance you do loose the cheques they are replaceable.
1300 is a great price for that and the only hidden charges you might face is landing fees for some airports but they are
generally included, and fees for changing of dates on your tickets on the different legs of the journey can get up there.

I will be able to stay with a few mates in syndey and have a place to go for a while in melbourne but thats the height of it. Going with a few mates and the woman. Im going to hit the credit union for a loan closer to the time. I wouldnt want to be going with nothing less that £5000. The fella in sta travel said i could comfortably live on £300 a month in singapore and phuket. Dont think i will stay any more than 3 or 4 weeks in asia, doesnt appeal to me as much as what australia and america do. I get this picture of it being really dirty and poor.

JimStynes

Quote from: Pangurban on May 25, 2008, 08:38:08 PM
Singapore is probably the safest Country in the World to be running about with Cash. Travel Cheques and plastic your only way to go, and expect to get ripped off on exchange rates

Do you know what bank cards to use though. I was told that in australia you can use a bank from over here and not get charged for taking money out of cash machines.

Pangurban

Mastercard or Visa accepted most places

Fishbat

Quote from: JimStynes on May 25, 2008, 09:11:43 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on May 25, 2008, 08:38:08 PM

Do you know what bank cards to use though. I was told that in australia you can use a bank from over here and not get charged for taking money out of cash machines.

Ye can get a travel cash card, as long as it has the "cirrus" symbol,  think they usually charge 7 quid per transaction though.

Asia is the dogs bollix, Singapore is great but 300 a month is nowhere near enough

bailestil

Done pretty much the same trip there at the start of the year. Only piece of advice is get a nationwide current account at all costs. They have zero transation costs. So u can withdraw as much money as you want from atm's and it won't cost you a cent. Which is a serious piece of mind when u have to worry about carrying a lot of cash in some dodgy hostel. U can use your visa for no fee on even small transations. If you in drinking in clarke quay in singapore your money will disappear right and quick.

armaghniac

Singapore is not at all dirty and poor, but not incredibly cheap either.

QuoteThe fella in sta travel said i could comfortably live on £300 a month in Singapore

£10 a day in Singapore? Not possible, maybe in Phuket.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Our Nail Loney

QuoteI get this picture of it being really dirty and poor.

Just like home in achagallon

JimStynes

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 26, 2008, 11:49:54 AM
QuoteI get this picture of it being really dirty and poor.

Just like home in achagallon

Where is achagallon Our Nail. You live in Craigavon aka dump rat city so you cant really talk.

doire na raithe

Lads lads, relax! Keep your hair on Stynes.

JimStynes

hitzelsperger

sounds like a good trip jim, booked to go to sydney myslef, heading via kuala lumpur for 3 nights between flights...anyone recommend anything to do there apart from petronas towers?