Belfast Telegraph displays its knowledge of gaelic football

Started by snatter, May 23, 2008, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

Good to see the Belfast Telegraph promoting a gaelic football competition in their "GAA Pick The Score Game."
Who knows, their back page might one day even lead with a GAA story.

Their new found enthusiasm for GAA doesn't hide their lack of knowledge however.
Somebody should tell them that a gaelic football squad comprises of more than 13 players.
I would have expecteed their prize of a team kit to contain at least 15 jerseys, not 13.

Have a look at the banner at the following page

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/article3730619.ece

Idiots.

Gabriel_Hurl

There's 13 weekly prizes - there's one jersey up for grabs each week

??? ??? ??? ???

Tankie

Do nationalist read this paper? i.e. do they have a readership that would be interested in reading GAA?
Grand Slam Saturday!

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Tankie on May 23, 2008, 02:20:50 PM
Do nationalist read this paper? i.e. do they have a readership that would be interested in reading GAA?
i read the paper and think it's a very good paper in general(nothing to do with the fact my wife works for the tele) and there gaa is definitely improving with joe kernan just recently signed up to write a weekly column,have met there main gaa journalist john campbell and he is very knowledgeable in the game.

feetofflames

Again you have a very black and white understanding of people tankie.  I think you could do with getting out more.  You do more branding than posh spice.  A pure clift.
Chief Wiggum

orangeman

Quote from: Tankie on May 23, 2008, 02:20:50 PM

What's a nationalist ???  ??? ??? ??? ???

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Tankie

Quote from: feetofflames on May 23, 2008, 03:05:28 PM
Again you have a very black and white understanding of people tankie.  I think you could do with getting out more.  You do more branding than posh spice.  A pure clift.

what are you talking about, i wouldnt buy the star to read about politic's or the business news. that was all.

and dont maks assumptions on how i view things or people.
Grand Slam Saturday!

T Fearon

I read this paper regularly and indeed participate in their Readers Panel providing feedback etc. I constantly feedback to them that the paper is far too unionist in orientation and outlook, and never fail to mention the lack of GAA coverage on the back page, but sadly to no avail. The paper is owned by Sir Anto of course, so we need expect nothing else I suppose.

John Campbell is an excellent GAA man as is Miceal Mc Geary and indeed they are among the best GAA journalists around. Its a pity their talents are wasted at the Telegraph though.

I haven't seen the Telegraph to-day. I trust the back page is not covered in Glasgow Celtic news or stories, like it was last Wednesday before Steven Davis and Rangers lost the UEFA Cup?

ziggysego

At least they're trying and hopefully it will improve as the season goes on. I'm sure big Joe will find sometime between the Telegraph, TV3 and the BBC to tell them they are 2 players short.
Testing Accessibility

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on May 23, 2008, 03:31:16 PM
I read this paper regularly and indeed participate in their Readers Panel providing feedback etc. I constantly feedback to them that the paper is far too unionist in orientation and outlook, and never fail to mention the lack of GAA coverage on the back page, but sadly to no avail. The paper is owned by Sir Anto of course, so we need expect nothing else I suppose.

John Campbell is an excellent GAA man as is Miceal Mc Geary and indeed they are among the best GAA journalists around. Its a pity their talents are wasted at the Telegraph though.

I haven't seen the Telegraph to-day. I trust the back page is not covered in Glasgow Celtic news or stories, like it was last Wednesday before Steven Davis and Rangers lost the UEFA Cup?

The Tele's MD (as in head honcho), appointed within the last 9 months, happens to be a Dublin Catholic (a first for an organisation that used to boast its own orange lodge) ... I would venture the opinion that this occurrence and the paper's new-found interest in all things GAA are not unrelated.  Whatever next?  A Catholic editor per chance?  I can just see the wobbling of flabby unionist jowels...

T Fearon

Er, I do believe I have finished joint top in this week's competition ;D

50/50 chance of nabbing a new Ard Mhace jersey just in time for the Cavan game ;D

highorlow

QuoteThe Tele's MD (as in head honcho), appointed within the last 9 months, happens to be a Dublin Catholic

That's the reason then, shur Dublin usually end up with only 13 players left on the field at the end of match's these days.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: T Fearon on May 27, 2008, 12:20:13 PM
Er, I do believe I have finished joint top in this week's competition ;D

50/50 chance of nabbing a new Ard Mhace jersey just in time for the Cavan game ;D

Where?