Uibh Fhaile Vs Iarmhí

Started by Croí na hÉireann, May 22, 2008, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KIDDO 4

KIDDO 4

2.9 Westmeath  Offaly 1.5, 22 minutes gone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 07, 2008, 07:31:46 PM
Eircom broadband here in Dublin.

Connection is fine but the first half was awful awful stuff.

Flanno off at half time injured so Offaly have a good chance.

Perfect connnection with NTL in Lucan...Looks like it will be Westmeath in semi final...against Louth  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

When was the last time Offaly got a new set of jerseys? Them O'Neills they wear are ancient
You'll Never Walk Alone.

KIDDO 4

Westmeath2.11 Offaly 1.8, at  full time.

Maroon Heaven

You have to ask whether Tony Davis is right about letting Division 4 teams play in teh championship. Offaly were poor. Very Poor ::)

faithful7

Is this the Best Offaly can produce? A bloody disgrace. I suppose the qualifers are beneath them. Could use it to improve but i don't think they will. Prefer to live on past glories. Where have the been going for the past 12 Months. Embarrassing!

shark

Just back from O'Connor Park, dont know what to think really. Delighted with the win but Offaly were just clueless.
Awful first half as stated above, but a highly entertaining second 35.
Offaly should have led at half time after completely dominating midfield, Flanagan was poor and it turned out to be a blessing that he got injured. Duffy made a big difference although Niall Smith was still the top performer in the middle.
Glennon had a serious off day, thankfully Dessie was back to his best.
The most pleasing aspect from a Westmeath point of view was the half forward line, Wilson with 1-2 from play, Harte worked tirelessly and Smyth was the best player on the pitch.
Didnt get a great view of the sending off but was suprised to see a red come out. Thought it was a tired tackle rather than an aggressive one, but will hold my judgement until I see it later.
Loads of improvement needed to win semi-final but I can see it happening.

navaniarmhi

First half was as bad as I've seen. Shocking stuff at times. Can't complain too much though, with a six-point win over those boys that beat the lard out of us for years. A substantial away win in the championship for Westmeath.

Flanagan looks bad though. I didn't like the way he WASN'T limping after half time. Suggests articular rather than muscular. Duffy did make a difference when he came on and thats encouraging for the next time. But no Flanagan.....

Good idea to keep Glennon on for the second half despite him being disappointing in the first. As the Offaly backs tired he made hay .. . . . his confidence was poor and he was reluctant to take responsibility for goal attempts.

Did you ever see a keeper get as many high balls as Connaughton got in the first half?  He was fairly reliable under them though. He nearly got caught though by that crazy habit keepers have of Hanging out of the crossbar when they think the ball is going over. The bounce back into play with him acting the mick could have cost us dearly.  On the plus side great kick-outs as usual and he made a good effort for the penalty.

DOD was disappointing in the first half and gave away considerable ball.

ALL IN ALL a reasonable performance with some hope against Dublin..... but with no Flanagan........?

shark

Just watched the highlights there on RTE, they didnt show the sending off at all, quite bizarre. Was only mentioned by Lyster in the post match interview with O'Flatherta.

navaniarmhi

Quote from: shark on June 07, 2008, 10:34:04 PM
Just watched the highlights there on RTE, they didnt show the sending off at all, quite bizarre. Was only mentioned by Lyster in the post match interview with O'Flatherta.

I think they call it a 'score edit'. Bit mad though as it was a pivotal moment

AZOffaly

Thank God I'm away to France this week.

Congratulations to Westmeath, they deserved it on the night. Offaly played into their hands completely as the whole sweeper defense stumped them completely. Very disappointed with that, as it was hardly a surprise to anyone there.

Credit to Offaly for winning the amount of ball they did, but after that it was real headless time.

All in all, no complaints from us, better team won. I hope ye go all the way in Leinster now.

paddypastit

Canning did mention it in commentary ion the sense of 'MacManus on the ball for the 14 men' and also to 'Dolan was was involved in that incident' 'not being the most popular man in O'Connor Park.  combining those comments with there evidently, to my eye, being space for Westmeath where it hadn't been before, one could work out that there had been a sending off. It was a pivotal moment and should have been shown.  No excuse.  If TV3 did the GAA and other media would be up in arms.  Someone should get fired for it.

Offaly looked unfit, with a limited game plan and isn't it time to move on from MacManus - predictable me feiner
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

AZOffaly

That's unfair on McManus paddypastit. The only reason he might appear to be a mé feiner is that he is the one who steps up constantly. He is quite content to be quiet if Offaly are going well, but he feels the need to carry them when things are going badly. He's not a mé feiner though.

johnpower

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 07, 2008, 11:14:33 PM
That's unfair on McManus paddypastit. The only reason he might appear to be a mé feiner is that he is the one who steps up constantly. He is quite content to be quiet if Offaly are going well, but he feels the need to carry them when things are going badly. He's not a mé feiner though.

I agree AZ ,the mans passion is awesome . Offaly will just have to keep at it . One thing about Offaly is the attitude over the years to the qualifiers .Kerry ,Galway and other counties just seem to drown their sorrows and get back at it