Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevmy

Was at the game and to be honest we performed about as well as I expected us too. We mixed good with bad, were a little rusty but we'll improve going forward. The thing is Sligo didn't turn up at all so we have really nothing to go on. I also thought we played our worst football near the start of the second half after Trevor got the goal. The game was won at that stage, concentration slipped and we went down somewhere near the level of Sligo. We didn't start playing again till we threw on a few subs.

A couple of other things. I've a feeling Johhno might go with a horses for courses selection in the backs this year. Our backs will be given men to mark and be told to follow them. Since all our backs are half backs anyway bringing them out the field won't really affect them. If there's a big lad in FF we'll see Conroy going in after him if it a couple of small lads we'll see Keith and Boyle in there like yesterday.
Crowd was relatively small and quite. I suppose the pessimism, the weather and the bad game didn't help.

Individually
Clarke    8   Didn't put a foot wrong today made some good saves and his kickouts were the best I've seen from him

Boyle     6   His man got a couple of points but I think he showed enough to be left there. We've no other corner backs and this game should bring him on
Conroy   7  Thought he played well, obviously not at FB but he made a couple of good interceptions and his distribution was very good
Higgins   6.5  Not a great performance by his standards but still a class player

Cuniffe   5  Didn't think he imposed himself on the game at all and only got going once the game was won. IMO the first guy for the chop when Howley comes back
Heaney  6  Hadn't much to do and did most of it well. Made an almighty mess of it at one stage in the 2nd that nearly led to a Sligo goal
Nallen    7 Thought he was our best back. Drove forward and defended well. Played the full 70 as well

McGarrity 6.5  Okay performance some good fielding and hand passing, his kicking is still poor and got booked for a stupid challenge early on
Parsons  9  Best player on the pitch by a mile. Fielded well, drove forward, dominated midfield, almost everything he did was positive

Gardiner  4.5  Would probably got a 4 only for paucity of the opposition. Clearly a wing back playing at wing forward today
Harte    8  Best game I've seen him play for Mayo in a good while. Battled well and his distribution was good.
Trevor  7.5  Played like Trevor. Got around, caused trouble, some good running and got a goal.

Conor  7.5  Would have been 8 but missed a couple of frees in the 1st half. Looked like he was feeling the leg especially after the peno. Should be tip top for Galway
Austie 6.5  Won some good ball. Kicked two great points. Missed some easy chances. I don't think he'll miss them another day and today was the day to miss them
Moran  5  The player I was most disappointed with. Didn't show any of his league form. Should be kept for the final but for a player of his class today was not good enough

Kilcoyne  7  Peader has to be worried, played well when he came on
BJP      6   Showed that he still has the hunger worthy of his place in the panel
Ronaldson, Mullins on to late to do anything

Overall not bad. I reckon we'll get better. Was looking for good performance from midfield and backs yesterday. Got it from midfield but we learned nothing about our backs.
I'd say most of that team will start against Galway. The only change I'd make is Gardiner out and Dillon in at CHF with Harte to the wing. Andy Moran has to improve but he'll know that. Kilcoyne will be first sub now I'd say after yesterdays cameo (is it me or does he always play better for us of the bench?). Backs will be given men to mark against Galway I'd say. Heaney on Joyce, Conroy on Meehan, Keith on Mattie Clancy, Boyle on t'other Joyce. They'll be told to follow them wherever they go. I think that all the backs have played their football 50/50 in the FB line and the half back line (with the exception of Jimmy Nallen) so been dragged around shouldn't bother them that much.
Of course our major defensive ploy will be to win midfield and stop the ball getting into our defence. If Galway's midfield play as bad and our midfield play as good as they did in the semi then we will win. Of course we can't really rely on that.

Also what's the story with Howley?? He was named on the bench yesterday but then so was Dillon. Did he tog? I couldn't see from my position.

Teeling Gael

Fair Play to Mayo. Unfortunately for them they didnt learn alot from the "game" . Sligo were beyound poor. Whilst Sligonian with his style of posting probably talked up Sligo to the extent that he worried the Mayo posters, the majority of the Sligo posters here were travelling more in hope that expectation. And when Sligo teams play without hunger , we are in trouble. Feel we should have are own separate thread to deal with the post mortem and consequences of this defeat for Sligo football as they go way further than Castlebar yesterday.

Best wishes to Mayo for the rest of the year. Hopefully both themselves and Galway make the 1/4 finals and indeed at the very least be very competitive at that level. Connaught football needs it as despite the great success of Mayo U21's , Galway and Roscommon minors in recent years , the senior is the showcase for the province.

Feel with Howley , Dillon , Kilcoyne (and Campbell ?? ) competing for places Mayo have every chance of winning Connaught and indeed also making the All Ireland semis. Sadly dont think they will be bridging the gap since 1951 but at least you have a chance !!

2 quick comments on issues raised this morning. I feel Tom Parsons been a Sligo man or not is irrelevant once he started playing for Charlestown at presumably the age of 8/9. Apart from Kelly , thought Donovan was the other Sligo player who performed well. Andy Moran wont meet too many better corner backs all year.

RedandGreenSniper

Had to rely on Mid West so just a couple of questions that those at the match might be able to answer

How bad was Andy Moran? Was he not getting on the ball at all or using it poorly when he did? In fairness Sligo have two excellent corner-backs

On the commentary Gardiner appeared to be on the ball a lot. Was his use of it poor (he seemed to shoot a couple of times - something he shouldn't be inclined to do imo)?

If Howley is going to be back for the Connacht final is it very straightforward that Heaney will move to the wing with Cunniffe losing his place?

And was it a type of game perfect for Kilcoyne to come on in - opposition beaten already and easy scores there for the taking? If so we learned nothing new with him. Until he delivers in a tight situation he's going to remain a fringe player imo.

And of the 12,000 or so crowd, roughly what percentage was from Mayo? Just curious what the interest levels are like.

I would naturally have taken this result last week. Very surprised by Sligo. I don't think Tommy Jordan is up to this standard of management but I really feel whoever came in was up against it - Tommy Brehony leaving after winning a Connacht wasn't quite a positive affirmation of where he thought this side would go this year
Good to hear Parsons has hit the ground running. It seems a lot of questions remain, though that's because of Sligo's feebleness, not anything from a Mayo end
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Barney

QuoteHow bad was Andy Moran? Was he not getting on the ball at all or using it poorly when he did? In fairness Sligo have two excellent corner-backs

Moran wasn't winning the ball yesterday and when he did he had his usual high percentage of wastage. Until he is more economical in possession he is going to be an average player for us. Needs to step up and put his mark on a full championship game.

Quote[On the commentary Gardiner appeared to be on the ball a lot. Was his use of it poor (he seemed to shoot a couple of times - something he shouldn't be inclined to do imo)?/quote]

Poor use, yes. Pathetic shooting. His big problem is that he can't actually kick the ball.

QuoteIf Howley is going to be back for the Connacht final is it very straightforward that Heaney will move to the wing with Cunniffe losing his place?

I wouldn't have thought so. Didn't think Cunniffe did anything wrong, and feel JOM is a big fan. I would have thought Colm Boyle or James Nallen would be the vulnerable ones. Reckon we won't see any change 1-9 though.

QuoteAnd was it a type of game perfect for Kilcoyne to come on in - opposition beaten already and easy scores there for the taking? If so we learned nothing new with him. Until he delivers in a tight situation he's going to remain a fringe player imo.

Very much so but he was extremely hungry and determined to make a point. Against Laois and Dublin in 2006 he excelled in tight positions. In the u21 final in 2006 he was superb. He's either brilliant or average, no in between but he has bulked up, has the ability, and can also kick 45s. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. A better option than Gardiner or Andy Moran, and probably AOM.

QuoteAnd of the 12,000 or so crowd, roughly what percentage was from Mayo? Just curious what the interest levels are like.

I would have thought about 75% but it was extremely quiet. I think people were just cold, bored and wet

ildanach

Quote from: Barney on June 23, 2008, 12:11:38 PM
I wouldn't have thought so. Didn't think Cunniffe did anything wrong, and feel JOM is a big fan. I would have thought Colm Boyle or James Nallen would be the vulnerable ones. Reckon we won't see any change 1-9 though.

Boyle will be the most likely to lose out but not to howley. but to aidan higgins. He was the least impressive of the backs yesterday and was standing off his man and conceeded 3 points off him. Howley will come in for J Nallen with Heaney picking up joyce.

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

SLIGONIAN

I havent disowned my county, just some players who didnt give 100%. Sadly I have to face mchale park again this saturday to support our minors and to be honest its hard to face it so soon again. Maybe they can lift the gloom. Best of luck to them.

Im not looking for sympathy either, i was bullish last week etc... but i am aware that some sligo players read this board, i wanted them to know sligofans believe in them b4 the game, it wasnt for mayos benefit that i was spouting. Reading quotes from players had me thinking they have strong belief going into it.

I hold the management team and players equally accountable. It has to be that way and everyone has to take responsibilty.

Anyway it may take a while for the wounds to heal but we will be back someday i am sure (hopefully not 31 yrs away).

Sligeach abu.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

kevmy

Going to ask again

Whats the story with Howley??

Most seem to be thinking he will be back for the final. Whats the basis for this? Last I heard he was doubtful for the rest of the Championship. Unless he's come on an awful lot I'd say no change in the backs for Galway

Barney

Howley is back doing light training. He was in trackie yesterday but I think was on the programme because the whole panel was listed.

Sligoper

People need to get over the fact that Tom lives in Sligo. There are two mulligan lads even further in and play for Charlestown.
Look i don think having Tom in the black and white would have swang things round.
Sligo were Shite and we just have to get over it.
Best of luck to Mayo
Go on the Bunnies!

moysider

Quote from REDANDGREEN SNIPER  'I don't think Tommy Jordan is up to this standard of management '

Eh. why so Sniper?

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on June 23, 2008, 01:32:17 PM
Going to ask again

Most seem to be thinking he will be back for the final. Whats the basis for this? Last I heard he was doubtful for the rest of the Championship. Unless he's come on an awful lot I'd say no change in the backs for Galway

Howley was nt even able to do the warm up yesterday so no way he ll be up to match fitness by Galway game.

Think people are being a bit harsh on Andy Moran. He won some good hard early ball which helped us settle inc a couple of frees. His opportunism to put Trevor in which led to the penalty was in marked contrast to some laboured slow ball from frees and from play from the middle third. The distribution inside in the second half was cat as was some of the shooting. While Austin uncharacteristically caught 2 balls above his head and kicked two nice points a few other attempts were brutal [but we ll give him those because another day they d all go over] What bothered me about him yesterday is his continuing inability to see a pass and pop in fellas for handy scores. I would leave Harte where he is and play Dillon in the Austin role.

Mayo4Sam

Howley will hardly be back for the final, but is a sure fire starter when he is back and fully fit, prob with boyle going to the bench based on yesterday.

Big disappointment yesterday, sligo had 1 player in kelly and that was it, a big let down and not a lot of use to mayo in the long term. Thought mayo looked fit and strong.
Was impressed by the amount of work trevor M got thru and i think he will do away with the need for gardiner, we need another forward on the pitch, he was poor yesterday
Surprised higgins and boyle weren't switched.
Was disappointed with some of the misses we had yesterday
Very impressed with kilcoyne, hungry for the ball, nearly pushed CM off it at one stage and laid it off well, really hope he can step up, nice lad but his inconsistency is his let down
Though clarke was excellent, esp his kickouts into a switching, swirling wind
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

kevmy

Quote from: moysider on June 23, 2008, 04:03:44 PM
Going to ask again

Howley was nt even able to do the warm up yesterday so no way he ll be up to match fitness by Galway game.

Think people are being a bit harsh on Andy Moran. He won some good hard early ball which helped us settle inc a couple of frees. His opportunism to put Trevor in which led to the penalty was in marked contrast to some laboured slow ball from frees and from play from the middle third. The distribution inside in the second half was cat as was some of the shooting. While Austin uncharacteristically caught 2 balls above his head and kicked two nice points a few other attempts were brutal [but we ll give him those because another day they d all go over] What bothered me about him yesterday is his continuing inability to see a pass and pop in fellas for handy scores. I would leave Harte where he is and play Dillon in the Austin role.

Well we might be a little harsh on Andy Moran but he had a good league and he didn't perform to that level the last day. Saying that I'd defo have him starting against Galway he'd a goal threat in the inside which neither Conor or Austie really are.

I wouldn't advise playing Dillon in FF he's played there a few times and never really shone. I'd also reckon that Austie gives us a lot more than Gardiner in attack. There may be a case for leaving Harte centre forward and playing Dillon on the wing. He got his All Star at no.12 so maybe that is his best position

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on June 23, 2008, 04:13:15 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 23, 2008, 04:03:44 PM
Going to ask again

Well we might be a little harsh on Andy Moran but he had a good league and he didn't perform to that level the last day. Saying that I'd defo have him starting against Galway he'd a goal threat in the inside which neither Conor or Austie really are.

I wouldn't advise playing Dillon in FF he's played there a few times and never really shone. I'd also reckon that Austie gives us a lot more than Gardiner in attack. There may be a case for leaving Harte centre forward and playing Dillon on the wing. He got his All Star at no.12 so maybe that is his best position

Thing is we re not playing a FF anymore. We have nt since Barry Moran experiment was discarded. We re playing a 2 man inside line with Austin in a withdrawn role which can sometimes see him behind his half forward line.He s not playing fullforward in the usual way. There is no doubt in my mind that Dillon would be more suited to this role than Austin. He s better on the ball and can see a pass. However he s too slow for the wing where attacking wing backs like Mullaghy would run by him. On the other hand Austin is laboured in possession and is unwilling or unable to see a pass. Of course if Austin could play inside with Conor it would solve a lot. Its a big if though. Andy could then be played on the wing instead of Gardner. That would give a forward line of -

Harte

Moran                                                                                           Mortimor

Dillon

Mortimor                                                                                              Austin.

Sorry about mentioning the war but is nt the role Austin is playing readymade for McDanger? A degree of freedom to do his own thing yet in a pivot role to pull strings and within striking distance of the posts.We were only one top class forward yesterday away from an avalanche of scores. Half of our paltry 11 points came when the white flag had been well and truly raised by Sligo. Its not too late yet ye know.

OirthearMhaigheo

I'd agree with the possibility of switching Andy to the wing, he's a natural half forward and has a great workrate which is sometimes wasted in the corner, plus he doesn't bother the umpires often enough so it would seem to make sense. The problem is that we have any amount of half forwards and a serious lack of corner forwards. If you watch him in any club game he shows time and again why he gets picked at corner forward for the county team, if he could just bring his club confidence to the county set up. He won alot of hard ball early on as he always does and I think he had a good first half and then faded out of it, he's alot better than that though and I'd be confident he will improve the next day. Peadar on the other hand doesn't have as much room for improvement and this is one pet project that needs to be ditched, which I would think will happen when Dillon returns.