Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 19, 2008, 04:00:45 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 19, 2008, 03:58:55 PM
surely mayo as a team that contested 2 of the last 4 all-ireland finals would be raging hot favourites to beat a team that has been relegated to div 4?

Teams always lift it for the Championship. You cant take anything for granted

Id say were say enough unless we bring Rory Hannick on at midfield
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the Deel Rover

surely mayo as a team that contested 2 of the last 4 all-ireland finals would be raging hot favourites to beat a team that has been relegated to div 4?

i think we are 7-1 on Indiana , to tell you the truth bar the board here i haven't spoken to anyone that has mentioned the match which for championship week is unreal >:( i know o' mahony wanted to lower expectations well he has definitely achieved that and to tell you the truth i preferred it the other way at least there was a buzz around the place
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

these deel would be the people who prefer to lose to teams like derry than an AIF because at not as many people notice. I mean you dont want to be heading up to dublin every year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

SLIGONIAN

Breheny interview

Sligo's Mark Breheny has admitted that he wants to end the 33-year wait that the Yeats' County have endured for a Championship win over Mayo in Castlebar when the two sides meet in the Connacht SFC this Sunday.

After helping land the Connacht SFC title last year for his side for the first time in 32 years, the Sligo sharp-shooter revealed that Tommy Jordan's men will be out to smash more records this summer after taking a back seat in the provincial championship for so long.

"We got the monkey off our backs last year," said Breheny.

"Winning big Championship games against Roscommon and Galway proved that we could compete with the best in the Province and we were worthy champions."

"We're going to Castlebar as Connacht Champions and it's a chance for us to prove that last year wasn't just a flash in the pan. We have to be confident about our chances and go there with a lot of self-belief. Sligo haven't won a Championship match in McHale Park since 1975 but we toppled a couple of those kind of records last year so there's no reason why we can't break the Castlebar jinx this season," stressed Breheny.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ludermor on June 19, 2008, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 19, 2008, 12:41:37 PM
[With all due respect making a bet with you, would mean meeting you and no I dont want to meet you or any of the mayo lads 8). Or give away my identity, i would risk being a target for the mayo ultras on bebo :P....
It wouldnt be on my list of priorties to meet you either but i never be as bigoted or bitter as not to have the craic with any sligo person if he/she was beside me in a pub. Where is the love gone?

Dont think there was ever any love lost between Sligo and Mayo on every level.

I'll be giving out free hugs after the game to mayo people :P is that better ludermor ;). Consoling ones btw....all joking aside IF Sligo do win there be alot of Mayo people being treated for shock IMO :-\.

Barney

Sligonian don't worry - there will be little shock if Mayo lose, except outside the county where lazy journalism will focus on McDonald, relegation for Sligo and JOM to build up the shock value. You can see the tone that has been set here on the board. We are all crapping ourselves to be honest besides a delusioned few.

Mano

It was posted previously there will be no Curry man on Sligo panel for Sunday. However there is a Curry man on the Mayo team. Can anyone inform how did we let Parsons end up playing for Charlestown and Mayo and not for his native county?

kevmy

Quote from: Mano on June 19, 2008, 05:51:28 PM
It was posted previously there will be no Curry man on Sligo panel for Sunday. However there is a Curry man on the Mayo team. Can anyone inform how did we let Parsons end up playing for Charlestown and Mayo and not for his native county?

I'd say he looked one side of the border and said Connacht titles once every three years and he looked the other side and said Connacht titles once every 3 decades.

magpie seanie

QuoteIt was posted previously there will be no Curry man on Sligo panel for Sunday. However there is a Curry man on the Mayo team. Can anyone inform how did we let Parsons end up playing for Charlestown and Mayo and not for his native county?

I heard a version of the story that I've not had verified so I won't repeat it here. Needless to say it was a case of shooting ourselves in the foot, reloading and having another go, just to be sure.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 19, 2008, 04:07:02 PM

i think we are 7-1 on Indiana , to tell you the truth bar the board here i haven't spoken to anyone that has mentioned the match which for championship week is unreal >:( i know o' mahony wanted to lower expectations well he has definitely achieved that and to tell you the truth i preferred it the other way at least there was a buzz around the place

Yes Deel, it's been exceptionally quiet for a championship week. Don't know if there are many people going to travel or not. It seems that it's kind of gone stale as people know that there's no AI in this team.

Full-back line, I cannot see K Higgins lining out in No 4 position. I'd say he will swop with Nallen to be honest. If he swops I'd be confident enough of our half-back line doing the job on the day. I'd say Parsons will do alright in the middle for us, along with McGarrity who should lead by example as team captain. Hopefully Harte will do well at no 11. If he doesn't then as Barney said the journalists will have a field day comparing him to McDonald. Happy with the inside forward line. It's nice to give Austin O'Malley a chance at no 14. Hopefully he will continue his league form. Still worried about the fullback line though. It wouldn't be too much of a shock if Sligo were to win. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked at all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 19, 2008, 06:52:06 PM
QuoteIt was posted previously there will be no Curry man on Sligo panel for Sunday. However there is a Curry man on the Mayo team. Can anyone inform how did we let Parsons end up playing for Charlestown and Mayo and not for his native county?

I heard a version of the story that I've not had verified so I won't repeat it here. Needless to say it was a case of shooting ourselves in the foot, reloading and having another go, just to be sure.

Is he not from Bellaghy which is Charlestown parish and he therefore has to play for Mayo? Anyway, he's a good addition to us however it came to happen!

Mayo4Sam

I'd be worried about o'hara on parsons, hes bound to be knocking lumps out of him for the game, be interesting to see how he takes it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

blast05

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 19, 2008, 12:52:45 PM
We used one certain player as target man (but he was needed elsewhere) and it did work to a certain extent during league so dont be suprised if we use that tactic at various stages during the game especially if the fb is 5-5(that is small for a fb). Must pass that on Jordan seeming as I ruined his advantage of naming a dummy team.  :P..

As 'Friends' Chandler Bings occassional girlfriend used to say "OH ........ MY ......... GOD"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: blast05 on June 19, 2008, 08:33:00 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 19, 2008, 12:52:45 PM
We used one certain player as target man (but he was needed elsewhere) and it did work to a certain extent during league so dont be suprised if we use that tactic at various stages during the game especially if the fb is 5-5(that is small for a fb). Must pass that on Jordan seeming as I ruined his advantage of naming a dummy team.  :P..

As 'Friends' Chandler Bings occassional girlfriend used to say "OH ........ MY ......... GOD"

What does this mean :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P at the end of a post. I think your a bit like joey, when everyone waits till he gets it, still waiting, still waiting still..........................

still waiting... ::)

SLIGONIAN

If thats true on Parsons and not a wind up, that is soul destroying as a Sligoman to hear that. No matter how much shite I have to put with in Sligo id never play for another county. Even oisin mcconville got treated like dirt in his early aramgh days according to his book but look at his commitment and loyalty.