Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baoithe

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 18, 2008, 01:51:36 PM
From SLIGOGAA.ie

Baoithe is michael mcgowan from your club any good?

I think I've said it before in the Local Gaa Discussion that Michael McGowan has the ability to play intercounty football and indeed played centre back for the U-21's this year. However he is a wee bit inconsistent and although a strong young fella a year in the gym would bring him on no end. Ultimately I would feel that it will be his attitude that will dictate whether he'll make it at this level. He's got bags of ability though.

What's the story with Sean Davey?

rosnarun

QuoteAlso on Mcstay article it says HISTORY is the main reason he thinks Mayo will win . Absolute jibberish. The past is gone. Its all on the day.

not so im afraid. are you telling me there was any other reason cork beat limerick last week?.
There is no logical reason other than complacency why mayo should even comtemplate losing to sligo on sunday.
arguments such as they have to be better than there were in the league or sligo always play well wearing black ect  ares not logical ones.
Mayo by 7 to 10 points
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

magpie seanie

QuoteSeanie is karl o neill injured, he was togged out against ros last week but didnt get on? Interesting fact about curry not being represented at all.

Karol played centre back for the club last Saturday night. He seemed fine. Still a mystery why he hasn't got a chance but at this stage he's probably better off out of the panel.

Sad to see the Curry situation. They are a fine club. I'll leave it at that.

Teeling Gael

Talk that discussion on this forum is letting teams tactics and plans out of the bag is in my view fanciful. Mayo have watched Sligo throughout the league , in London and in its challenge games ( not to mention the numerous mayo men involved in club football in Sligo) to know for example that MC Namara wont play centre back and that Egan will. Jordan in his wisdom felt it was necessary to name a dummy team against London so no surprise that he has done it again here. The question is whether its just positional switches or will there be personell switches. Obviously most speculation in Sligo revolves around Maguire. He did play a full club championship game 10 days ago but in a challenge game that you would think was readymade for him to help his match fitness against Roscommon he only played a 1/2 so he may very well not be fit.

Interesting debate between Mano and Sligonian on the makup of our forwardline. Mano sees Cork happening again and bemoans the lack of big men to win their own ball. Sligonian feels that speed is the key and that with our possession game we can run around Mayo. By the team selected , the management have gone for an extremely fast but possibly the lighest intercounty forwardline in the championship. This may be a pragmatic decision due to lack of big men in Sligo panel but if Mayos backs have the pace to stay with Sligo forwards then we will be in trouble. Dont like the notion of Johnie Dvaey with his back to goals and feel he would be better further out the field. Talk here of Nallen playing left corner back effectively marking D Kelly will not happen and personally expect K Higgins to mark Kelly. Dont expect much to be in it and for Sligo to win , the pace in our forward line need to be turned into scores and K Quinn need a big game in midfield to negate R Mc Garritty.

Davitt Man

Quote from: Teeling Gael on June 18, 2008, 03:10:11 PM
Talk that discussion on this forum is letting teams tactics and plans out of the bag is in my view fanciful. Mayo have watched Sligo throughout the league , in London and in its challenge games ( not to mention the numerous mayo men involved in club football in Sligo) to know for example that MC Namara wont play centre back and that Egan will. Jordan in his wisdom felt it was necessary to name a dummy team against London so no surprise that he has done it again here. The question is whether its just positional switches or will there be personell switches. Obviously most speculation in Sligo revolves around Maguire. He did play a full club championship game 10 days ago but in a challenge game that you would think was readymade for him to help his match fitness against Roscommon he only played a 1/2 so he may very well not be fit.

Interesting debate between Mano and Sligonian on the makup of our forwardline. Mano sees Cork happening again and bemoans the lack of big men to win their own ball. Sligonian feels that speed is the key and that with our possession game we can run around Mayo. By the team selected , the management have gone for an extremely fast but possibly the lighest intercounty forwardline in the championship. This may be a pragmatic decision due to lack of big men in Sligo panel but if Mayos backs have the pace to stay with Sligo forwards then we will be in trouble. Dont like the notion of Johnie Dvaey with his back to goals and feel he would be better further out the field. Talk here of Nallen playing left corner back effectively marking D Kelly will not happen and personally expect K Higgins to mark Kelly. Dont expect much to be in it and for Sligo to win , the pace in our forward line need to be turned into scores and K Quinn need a big game in midfield to negate R Mc Garritty.

Sligo cannot kick more than 10 points and that score will not be enough to beat Mayo

SLIGONIAN

Fair points teeling gael, the only way cork could happen again isnt anything to do with our forward line IMO and more to do with the midfield battle, if midfield get taken to the cleaners then supply will stop, interestingly against ros last week ros dominated midfield for long spells yet our forwards were prolific when they got ball. If we get supply into them they will do damage. On my team id ideally have j davey in the HF line as he wouldnt be making runs with his back to goal, and Jordan will hopefully stick to that selection of him in HFs. I know gaughan, kelly and j davey can win 50/50 ball going in IMO so arent as dependant on quality supply going in as people think, we all know huffing it in high wont work. I just personnally think that forward line is a million miles better than last yrs. Gaughan and J Davey are well able to rack up a few scores too, and are a goal threat like kelly. All 3 get fouled alot aswell because of there pace. Dont be suprised if Sligo score a goal or two. I understand alot of sligofans caution on the forwards in a way but we will all be the wiser after sunday.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Davitt Man on June 18, 2008, 03:33:37 PM

Sligo cannot kick more than 10 points and that score will not be enough to beat Mayo

Davitt man explain to me why sligo cannot score more than 10pts?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: rosnarun on June 18, 2008, 02:34:59 PM
QuoteAlso on Mcstay article it says HISTORY is the main reason he thinks Mayo will win . Absolute jibberish. The past is gone. Its all on the day.

not so im afraid. are you telling me there was any other reason cork beat limerick last week?.
There is no logical reason other than complacency why mayo should even comtemplate losing to sligo on sunday.
arguments such as they have to be better than there were in the league or sligo always play well wearing black ect  ares not logical ones.
Mayo by 7 to 10 points

That's it. It's in the bag for Sligo now. ;D

kevmy

I wouldn't be 7 to 10 points confident but I would say rosnarun has a point about history having an impact.

People went on about how Sligo revelled in the qualifiers because they were out of Connacht, sure whats that but history. I bet you if you go back along the line the amount of one point wins for Mayo or Galway over Sligo and Leitrim is a lot more than the other way around. Same down in Munster with Cork and Kerry.

History makes a difference because it effects belief. Mayo and Galway believe they can beat everyone else in Connacht which means Sligo and Leitrim have to be better than us to win because if they are only as good as us chances are we will win

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: kevmy on June 18, 2008, 04:02:17 PM
I wouldn't be 7 to 10 points confident but I would say rosnarun has a point about history having an impact.

People went on about how Sligo revelled in the qualifiers because they were out of Connacht, sure whats that but history. I bet you if you go back along the line the amount of one point wins for Mayo or Galway over Sligo and Leitrim is a lot more than the other way around. Same down in Munster with Cork and Kerry.

History makes a difference because it effects belief. Mayo and Galway believe they can beat everyone else in Connacht which means Sligo and Leitrim have to be better than us to win because if they are only as good as us chances are we will win

Well maybe a couple of yrs ago that might hold water with sligofans (as i pointed out on previous post) and players buying into the past. With this current crop of players as ive pointed out theyve broken all kinds of hoodoos so therefore is it unreasonable of me to suggest that the mental side of things MAYO WILL HAVE NO ADVANTAGE sunday over us on that.

There is no weight of history going into the game, there is no pyschological baggage either from a Sligo view simple as that. Dress up the importance of the past anyway yee want, it is impossible to go back there and in reality all that exists is here and now, unless yee invented a time machine in mayo ::).

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 18, 2008, 03:44:19 PM
Fair points teeling gael, the only way cork could happen again isnt anything to do with our forward line IMO and more to do with the midfield battle, if midfield get taken to the cleaners then supply will stop, interestingly against ros last week ros dominated midfield for long spells yet our forwards were prolific when they got ball. If we get supply into them they will do damage. On my team id ideally have j davey in the HF line as he wouldnt be making runs with his back to goal, and Jordan will hopefully stick to that selection of him in HFs. I know gaughan, kelly and j davey can win 50/50 ball going in IMO so arent as dependant on quality supply going in as people think, we all know huffing it in high wont work. I just personnally think that forward line is a million miles better than last yrs. Gaughan and J Davey are well able to rack up a few scores too, and are a goal threat like kelly. All 3 get fouled alot aswell because of there pace. Dont be suprised if Sligo score a goal or two. I understand alot of sligofans caution on the forwards in a way but we will all be the wiser after sunday.

As you know already Sligonian i disagree strongly with your forward selection. Firstly beacuse of their lack of size and because of their lack of scoring power. The few times i have seen Gaughan play for the club he is a very direct runner and is more likely to score a goal than a point. I don't think i have ever seen him score a 'round the corner point'-its always running directly at goal and shooting on the run.Kelly just doesn't have strength to take on his man and score as you saw against Cork and Davey while excellent at running at defenders from wing back is not natural with his back to goal.
Brehony will need to have an absolute stormer from play abd frees to win with that forward line.

Sligoper

Why has no started a Galway- Sligo Connacht Final thread??
We're such pessimists.............................
Go on the Bunnies!

Davitt Man

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 18, 2008, 03:45:19 PM

They dont have forwards to kick more than 10 points thats why

Sligoper

Lack of big men is a worry but sure who is there? Davey is shit in FF, Flannery too. Maybe Johnny Mac! But who else in the wntire county is there? I think this is why alot of teams play the FF out as a third midlfielder! Cos not only does the inside men work, but they have no Traditional FF to play there!
Go on the Bunnies!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Davitt Man on June 18, 2008, 04:35:23 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 18, 2008, 03:45:19 PM

They dont have forwards to kick more than 10 points thats why