Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Ladies first ;). from the sligogaa.ie:

The TG4 Connacht Senior Champion Semi Final between Galway and Sligo Fixed for Tuam Stadium on Saturday 21 June has been switched to Sunday 22 June in Mc Hale Park Castlebar. This game will act as the curtain raiser to the Sligo v Mayo Senior Championship game.

Have to say its a good idea.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Barney

Didn't know that about Mort.

Now I am seriously worried.

Check this out - http://mayogaablog.com/?p=448 from the mayogaablog. We are seriously dependent on his scores. Whatever about his faults Conoreen is our best forward - our freetaker (although not the world's greatest), and the best man with an eye for the posts.

The options if he does not play will be Andy Moran (good for an odd goal, wins plenty of possession but still only scored about 5 points during the league), the People's Champion, Austie (yet to prove himself in championship football), Dillon (going through a bad patch but we know what he is capable of), Kilcoyne (is able, but is JOM willing to play him? - blows hot and cold but can take frees) and Gardiner (no thanks) or Harte (not going to put a big score).

the Deel Rover

Here is the article barney

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Mortimer's a doubt for Mayo date with Sligo
By: Keith Bourke

MAYO's top scoring forward, Conor Mortimer, remains a major doubt for Mayo's Connacht Championship clash with Sligo.

The Shrule/Glencorrib forward aggravated a thigh injury playing for his club in the first round of the championship nine days ago and was still carrying the knock during the Mayo team's training camp in Portugal last week.

"Conor would be one of the more serious ones. It's soft muscle damage," said Mayo manager John O'Mahony on his return to the county.

O'Mahony was unsure whether the corner-forward would be fit for Mayo's opening game of the championship against Sligo in two weeks time. Free-scoring Mortimer would be a major loss to the ranks already depleted by an injury to Trevor Howley.

"I don't know yet. We'll have to wait and see what the rate of recovery is like," the Mayo boss said.

O'Mahony added that Mortimer would definitely not be playing any part in Shrule-Glencorrib's championship encounter with Ballaghadereen on Sunday.

In other news on the injury front, Castlebar Mitchels Barry Moran is also carrying a minor thigh strain picked up in club action, while defender Howley may well be out for the entire championship with a serious ankle injury.

The Mayo panel spent the last week at a state-of-the art training camp in the Alvarge, Portugal.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

kevmy

If Conor is out then it's very bad news for us. I still reckon we'll take Sligo without him though. Who to replace him is a big question as we haven't played a game without him in a long time - Kerry in 06? - and it's a big pity too as it was the one line we really had nailed down. I reckon Andy Moran and Austie will be kept where they are and I'd personally prefer Trevor in the half forwards as it gives us more bite. This is the team I'd have out if we have no Conor
                    Clarke

A. Higgins      Conroy        Nallen

Gardiner        Heaney      K.Higgins

McGarrity       Parsons

Kilcoyne       Dillon        Trevor

Campbell/Ronaldson   Austie     A. Moran

We've no other real corner forwards and it's a tough call but I'd put Ronaldson in there he's fast and nippy with an eye for goal even if he didn't get much game time in the league but then neither did Campbell. Kilcoyne is a better footballer than Harte or Gill when he plays and Trevor can do a bit of work around midfield.
We've no corner backs either and I'd go with Nallen for experience in this game. If Howley comes back put Keith in the corner and put Heaney on the wing. Gardiner isn't a forward but he'll fit right in again back in the wing backs. If Howleys out for the full season then we'll be in serious trouble

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on June 04, 2008, 03:37:22 PM
If Conor is out then it's very bad news for us. I still reckon we'll take Sligo without him though. Who to replace him is a big question as we haven't played a game without him in a long time - Kerry in 06? - and it's a big pity too as it was the one line we really had nailed down. I reckon Andy Moran and Austie will be kept where they are and I'd personally prefer Trevor in the half forwards as it gives us more bite. This is the team I'd have out if we have no Conor
                    Clarke

McGarrity       Parsons

We've no other real corner forwards and it's a tough call but I'd put Ronaldson in there he's fast and nippy with an eye for goal even if he didn't get much game time in the league but then neither did Campbell. Kilcoyne is a better footballer than Harte or Gill when he plays and Trevor can do a bit of work around midfield.
We've no corner backs either and I'd go with Nallen for experience in this game. If Howley comes back put Keith in the corner and put Heaney on the wing. Gardiner isn't a forward but he'll fit right in again back in the wing backs. If Howleys out for the full season then we'll be in serious trouble

His form for his club is anything but impressiveright now. What are we going on that he is a better footballer than Harte or even Gill for that matter? Or is it that he looks like he should be a better footballer?

Lar Naparka

QuoteClarke

McGarrity       Parsons

The problem here, kevmy, is that you’d have three lads in the backs who are approaching the mid-thirty mark. All have been classy players with plenty of heart in their day but at championship tempo I’d not expect all of them to last the pace.
Gardiner has had long-standing injury problems and only time will tell if he is up for it or not.
Midfield or the forwards wouldn’t worry me as much but no combo Johnno has tried out so far as stopped the defence leaking goals.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

kevmy

Quote from: moysider on June 04, 2008, 04:29:06 PM
Quote from: kevmy on June 04, 2008, 03:37:22 PM
                    Clarke

McGarrity       Parsons

His form for his club is anything but impressiveright now. What are we going on that he is a better footballer than Harte or even Gill for that matter? Or is it that he looks like he should be a better footballer?

Well maybe I didn't phrase that the way I should but when he's on form (I know that's a big question) I think Kilcoyne is a much better point taker and all round attacker than either Harte or Gill. I know they have qualities Killer doesn't in winning ball and doing some of the tough stuff around the middle of the pitch but I think if you have T Mort in the half forward it'd be a waste to have a similar type of player on the other wing.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 04, 2008, 04:48:15 PM
QuoteClarke

McGarrity       Parsons

The problem here, kevmy, is that you'd have three lads in the backs who are approaching the mid-thirty mark. All have been classy players with plenty of heart in their day but at championship tempo I'd not expect all of them to last the pace.
Gardiner has had long-standing injury problems and only time will tell if he is up for it or not.
Midfield or the forwards wouldn't worry me as much but no combo Johnno has tried out so far as stopped the defence leaking goals.

Well I'd prefer it if Howley was fit and if we had found a natural corner back over the league but we only found more good half backs. Pat Kelly, Cunniffe, Boyle and Barrett are all natural half backs as is Jimmy Nallen given the choice of playing an inexperienced player out of position alongside a new FB or an old head I'd go with the old head. The only other choice I'd see is bring Keith back and put one of the other young guns in wing back. Not saying that wouldn't work it's choice to be made mainly about where you want Keith Higgins (if only we had 3 or 4 more like him).

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 04, 2008, 04:48:15 PM
QuoteClarke

McGarrity       Parsons

The problem here, kevmy, is that you'd have three lads in the backs who are approaching the mid-thirty mark. All have been classy players with plenty of heart in their day but at championship tempo I'd not expect all of them to last the pace.
Midfield or the forwards wouldn't worry me as much but no combo Johnno has tried out so far as stopped the defence leaking goals.

In fairness Lar only Nallen approaching mid thirties. Higgins and Heaney closer to thirty. Even if they dont last the pace does nt mean they should nt be selected. Better whoever starts plays well than starting a young fella and calling him off after 20 mins roasting. If/when Nallen tires then sub him with ten to go or whatever. Dont forget in the past likes of Gary Ruane and Micheál Collins played savage stuff in the backs in their thirties.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 04, 2008, 01:33:13 PM
Here is the article barney

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Mortimer's a doubt for Mayo date with Sligo
By: Keith Bourke

MAYO's top scoring forward, Conor Mortimer, remains a major doubt for Mayo's Connacht Championship clash with Sligo.

The Shrule/Glencorrib forward aggravated a thigh injury playing for his club in the first round of the championship nine days ago and was still carrying the knock during the Mayo team's training camp in Portugal last week.

"Conor would be one of the more serious ones. It's soft muscle damage," said Mayo manager John O'Mahony on his return to the county.

O'Mahony was unsure whether the corner-forward would be fit for Mayo's opening game of the championship against Sligo in two weeks time. Free-scoring Mortimer would be a major loss to the ranks already depleted by an injury to Trevor Howley.

"I don't know yet. We'll have to wait and see what the rate of recovery is like," the Mayo boss said.

O'Mahony added that Mortimer would definitely not be playing any part in Shrule-Glencorrib's championship encounter with Ballaghadereen on Sunday.

In other news on the injury front, Castlebar Mitchels Barry Moran is also carrying a minor thigh strain picked up in club action, while defender Howley may well be out for the entire championship with a serious ankle injury.

The Mayo panel spent the last week at a state-of-the art training camp in the Alvarge, Portugal.

I once had a soft tissue muscle injury on my foot and it took ages to heal but it can be played through with aid of painkilling injection. He will be fit but not 100% and it will annoy him in the game but he will start IMO.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

moysider

Quote from: mannix on June 04, 2008, 11:28:44 AM
I watched Nallen against Laois in a challenge recently, he has a great football head even if time is catching him.
I agree with some who say the lack of an enforcer on the team is a problem, paul galvin would love to throw his weight around and get away with it, however, a referee will spot him and he must be drawn out.
After the Wexford lesson dished nice and coldly to meath, it would be nice to see a few more surprises to break the boredom.

There is an enforcer in Mayo football at the moment and that is David Tiernan. I would definitely have had him in the panel for a sledging role. I m sure Johnno saw him v Ballina in last years Championship. His value was obvious and instead of tut tuting about lack of control we should be cherishing his desire. Up to management to control his aggression and not take the soft option and ignore him. At the moment he is probably the most influential player in Mayo club football. And please spare me the following reasons for not considering him.

* Too old    - no he s not, not yet anyway and fcku rebuilding programmes. Go watch him play. This summer is what counts this summer.

* Too deliberate and ponderous   - whats wrong with deliberate and its not looking pretty that counts.

* Too short for midfield   - play him on the wing or third midfielder.

* Too ugly.

* Too ginger.

Criminally underused player down the years.

RedandGreenSniper

Ginger could perhaps be on the panel but I always feel he found inter-county a step too far

The injury to Conor Mort is extremely serious. One of the Sligo lads has said how he'll be okay because its soft muscle. I can tell you now if it is soft muscle on the quad of your kicking leg it is very hard to perform - especially as an inside forward (and freetaker).

I agree with Barney - we are very dependent on him. Begrudgers won't admit as much but the next day we will be really shown up for lack of attacking options in his absence.
Austy is expendable and so is Andy Moran. The Mort isn't. Potential replacements inside would be limited to Mark Ronaldson (a great lively inside man but not able to score from any distance), Aidan Kilcoyne (as hot and cold as the Irish weather) and possibly Mickey Mullins (essentially untested at this level and possibly may be suspended after picking up a straight red for Claremorris last week). Don't think I'm leaving anyone else out.
How useful someone like Marty McNicholas would be now? Jesus there is a lot of uncertainty about this game the closer we get.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

I don't he's ever going to bring back Ginger - regardless of whether or not it's the right call. If Ginger is asked back then Ciaran Mac has to be asked back also.

Barney

Agreed about that Stephenite. Tiernan produced one good game for Mayo in championship football - against Roscommon in the qualifiers in 2001. Other than that he was found to be out of his depth. It is a huge step up.

Has a Mayo team ever gone into a championship with such uncertainty over selection. Whatever the thinking behind this - part of a long-term ambush plan, or else just downright incompetent management - if the results don't go well there will be uproar. I know there are people here who will say that I am over-reacting but after last year I think supporters are will to be patient once there is obvious progress - and at a minimum that probably means winning Connacht.

the Deel Rover

lads just wondering does any one know how the panel operates at the moment for e.g Trevor howley, both Morts , peadar G have been injured over the past few weeks do they just train with the remaing fit palyers or is anyone brought in for e.g it cant be good to play A v's B with ony 25 or 26 fit players ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 05, 2008, 01:46:37 AM
Ginger could perhaps be on the panel but I always feel he found inter-county a step too far

The injury to Conor Mort is extremely serious. One of the Sligo lads has said how he'll be okay because its soft muscle. I can tell you now if it is soft muscle on the quad of your kicking leg it is very hard to perform - especially as an inside forward (and freetaker).

I agree with Barney - we are very dependent on him. Begrudgers won't admit as much but the next day we will be really shown up for lack of attacking options in his absence.
Austy is expendable and so is Andy Moran. The Mort isn't. Potential replacements inside would be limited to Mark Ronaldson (a great lively inside man but not able to score from any distance), Aidan Kilcoyne (as hot and cold as the Irish weather) and possibly Mickey Mullins (essentially untested at this level and possibly may be suspended after picking up a straight red for Claremorris last week). Don't think I'm leaving anyone else out.
How useful someone like Marty McNicholas would be now? Jesus there is a lot of uncertainty about this game the closer we get.

Maybe so but he was used as an out and out midfielder whereas a more grafting or linking role may have suited him better. What I dont accept is how better club players like Tiernan and Michael Moyles were never a success at county level. Surely its a management/ coaching failure and maybe has something to do withhaving more choice than most in this county. I dont accept the arguement that they were given their chance and were not up to it. Anyway its a dud debate as we re not going to see him again anyway.
Barney is correct about the uncertainty surrounding the selection and the importance of progress being made this year. I m not too optimistic about progress but I ll keep my powder dry until I see what unfolds on 22nd. There is very little public interest - in my niche of the woods, so far anyway. Some people think this is a good thing. I dont. If there is little interest in the County team in June what s the point?  If things go belly up in Connacht and we exit the qualifiers down the country somewhere there would be a lot less fuss than if we lost a semi or AI final in the full public glare. I get the impression that management and some other Mayo football people would be content with a low key championship where we bring little attention to ourselves. I believe that those who believe management have some secret selection/game-plan to unleash- or ambush plan as Barney puts - it will be disappointed. I believe management is making this up [ the selection process anyway] as they go along. Anybody who attended the games earlier in Spring would have been able to see the cogs turning in management's head.