Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

moysider, what about Colm Boyle? Would he not slot into the corner back position. I don't know much about the lad but O'Mahony seems to play him there for the past few friendlies. Even Nallen could make an appearance. Hopefully McGarrity will live up to his role as captain as he is not really doing the business in the midfield position. I read in the Western that Castlebar lorded it there on Sunday. I think that O'Mahony is under serious pressure. I hope this trip to Portugal can do something as I've stated before.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 29, 2008, 10:01:52 PM
moysider, what about Colm Boyle? Would he not slot into the corner back position. I don't know much about the lad but O'Mahony seems to play him there for the past few friendlies. Even Nallen could make an appearance. Hopefully McGarrity will live up to his role as captain as he is not really doing the business in the midfield position. I read in the Western that Castlebar lorded it there on Sunday. I think that O'Mahony is under serious pressure. I hope this trip to Portugal can do something as I've stated before.

I ve said before that I rate Boyle highly but I would nt play him corner back - same as I would nt Cuniffe. But Johnno may well slot him in there but I suspect he gave these lads time in the league to blood them. He cannot be too impressed however and the best option is to go with Aiden Higgins, Heaney, maybe or maybe a fit - again O Malley in the corners. I would nt mind Nallen at 4 but I d better get my flak jacket on again as most people here think it looks unbecoming to have a zimmer frame on the field.  Young Conroy needs some experience and calm around him. A niave fb line will kill us, regardless how well we do elsewhere. Boyle or Cuniffe in hb line i would have no fear of as options, and they would bring great dash to our game in middle third - something I believe could be our trump card. I d have no fear of McGarrity either. He ll be interested and if fit will have a big year. Only one caveat there though. There is nt a nasty bone in either Ronan or Tom Parsons and both play best with an enforcer riding shotgun.  This team is crying out for someone like Brady, Stanton, Tiernan or Colm Mac in their pomp. We dont have one though. A big worry.

stephenite

Spot on Moysider - I was hoping that as the league progressed I'd be hearing reports of Parsons taking lumps outta fellas as I think you need someone like that at Inter county level in that area of the field. I take it he hasn't developed into that role, and you're right, Ronan wouldn't be the class of footballer either, nothing wrong with that either but I'd be more comfortable with someone who doesn't mind getting involved beside him.

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on May 29, 2008, 11:42:43 PM
Spot on Moysider - I was hoping that as the league progressed I'd be hearing reports of Parsons taking lumps outta fellas as I think you need someone like that at Inter county level in that area of the field. I take it he hasn't developed into that role, and you're right, Ronan wouldn't be the class of footballer either, nothing wrong with that either but I'd be more comfortable with someone who doesn't mind getting involved beside him.

Parsons needs to be in the team and if O Shea was a bit further on in his development and a bit harder then Parsons could be the man to build half forward line around as his strengths are distribution, linking, as well as fetching, carrying and he can take his scores. He s a class player and can make an attack click but he ll never be a sledger same as Pierce Hanley would nt have been. O Shea seems the most likely man we have to develop a hard streak but his progress may take some time.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on May 29, 2008, 08:04:45 AM
I'd love if we got to another AIF - I just cannot see it happening.

JOM is by nature a cautious man - I don't understand how we're a lot better than he wants expectations to be either, we'll know a lot more after the Sligo game that's for sure.

For me an appearance in an All Ireland semi final would represent some real good progress with a young-ish team

My point is if JOM had his way we'd be underdogs going into the Sligo game. I know managers will tend to understate their own strengths and accentuate those of the opposition but he takes it to a whole new level. I appreciate we need a bit of realism in Mayo - we are not All-Ireland contenders. But is JOM going so far down the line as to take away any bit of atmosphere and anticipation ahead of games? I think he might be.
Sligo is a real acid test though. A comfortable win and suddenly all will be well with the world again. A narrow victory and we'll be in the lot done, more to do category and a defeat . . . well Goodnight Irene . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on May 29, 2008, 11:35:23 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 29, 2008, 10:01:52 PM

I ve said before that I rate Boyle highly but I would nt play him corner back - same as I would nt Cuniffe. But Johnno may well slot him in there but I suspect he gave these lads time in the league to blood them. He cannot be too impressed however and the best option is to go with Aiden Higgins, Heaney, maybe or maybe a fit - again O Malley in the corners. I would nt mind Nallen at 4 but I d better get my flak jacket on again as most people here think it looks unbecoming to have a zimmer frame on the field.  Young Conroy needs some experience and calm around him. A niave fb line will kill us, regardless how well we do elsewhere. Boyle or Cuniffe in hb line i would have no fear of as options, and they would bring great dash to our game in middle third - something I believe could be our trump card. I d have no fear of McGarrity either. He ll be interested and if fit will have a big year. Only one caveat there though. There is nt a nasty bone in either Ronan or Tom Parsons and both play best with an enforcer riding shotgun.  This team is crying out for someone like Brady, Stanton, Tiernan or Colm Mac in their pomp. We dont have one though. A big worry.

I think there's consensus that Aidan Higgins will be in one corner but you're right Moysider, who he picks will be indicative of how far he thinks his team has come on. If either Heaney or Keith Higgins are in the full-back line then the answer will be that he doesn't feel the team has come on much at all.
I'd be inclined towards Nallen myself, but of course that's all depending on how well he's moving which JOM will know best.
If there's a problem with the two lads at midfield its that they are too similar. The likes of O'Hara now would be a test for them physically. O'Shea is more able to handle the physical stuff, and give it, but still a year off this level imho

Zulu

Barney

QuoteWill Johnno hold his nerve and play Keith Higgins in hb line instead of dropping him back if the fb line begins to creak

I think its more needs must than JOM holding his nerve. Higgins is still our best back and may have to go back. he is a huge asset in the half back line though. Its disappointing that Aidan Higgins did not get more league time. He has flaws and has been shown up in big games but again is there anybody better?

Personally I think Boyle and O'Malley are not good enough. Too light. Skillful footballers but very weak defensively.

QuoteFor us to have a good year Austin needs to make an impact similar to James Horan in 96 imo.

There is more chance of a dodo shitting on top of you while you're waving your flag from the Bacon Factory End. Yes Austie had a good league but he is not the answer. I think the hard ground will yet again show him up. He needs that second too long before deciding what to do with the ball. i'll be delighted to be proved wrong. But remember he was missing in action against Galway in the league, and taht was our most competitive game.

Quoteword is that training is more fine tuned this year for championship,

I hope and guess that is the position. League games have to be assessed based on the fact that we are entering the championship at a late stage. I also wonder whether things such as Moran at full-forward, general game-plan are being worked on behind closed-doors with a view to trying to ambush a big-gun later on. It wouldn't be my way of doing things but if it works I won't be complaining.

QuoteThen there s Billie Joe Padden. Would they start him and where?

His honesty and hard-work add a lot to a team but not in the backs. I think he is still worth a shot at full-forward. It wasn't a disaster the last time. His flexibility though will probably see him on the bench.

QuoteIs he going to start Peadar Gardiner

Most definitely I would say - he is one of his favourites.

Really I think for the full-back line its names in a hat and see what comes out but for what its worth this is the slip of paper I'd have Sean Feeney writing before the 22nd

Clarke

Aidan Higgins
Conroy
Keith Higgins

Heaney
Cunniffe
Trevor

McGarrity
Moran

Kilcoyne
Parsons
Campbell

Conor Mort
Dillon
Andy Moran

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Barney on May 30, 2008, 08:22:06 AM

Really I think for the full-back line its names in a hat and see what comes out but for what its worth this is the slip of paper I'd have Sean Feeney writing before the 22nd

Clarke

Aidan Higgins
Conroy
Keith Higgins

Heaney
Cunniffe
Trevor

McGarrity
Moran

Kilcoyne
Parsons
Campbell

Conor Mort
Dillon
Andy Moran

Is that the team you want picked Barney or think will be picked? I'm presuming the former but Parsons at chf would be out of nowhere. Don't remember him playing anywhere but midfield and don't think he has the natural flair of a forward. He might develop that but nows not the time to try it. Dillon at full may work but think he's more useful at chf and if Barry Moran plays at midfield  then I don't know what JOM is at because I don't remember the last time he had a good full 60/70 minutes for club or county there. The same can apply to the wing forwards imho
But there is so much guesswork involved.

The team I would opt for would be:
Clarke
A Higgins B Padden J Nallen
K Higgins D Heaney T Cunniffe
R McGarrity T Parsons
P Harte A Dillon T Mortimer
C Mortimer A O'Malley A Moran.

However I think the following team will line out
Clarke
A Higgins K Conroy K Higgins
T Cunniffe D Heaney T Mortimer
R McGarrity T Parsons
P Harte A Dillon P Gardiner
C Mortimer A O'Malley A Moran.

When were we last as unsure of a championship starting fifteen this close to championship? Hopefully the uncertainty might force lads to up the effort to secure their spots. Hopefully. But it can just as easily have a negative effect

dodo

Quote from: Barney on May 30, 2008, 08:22:06 AM

There is more chance of a dodo shitting on top of you while you're waving your flag from the Bacon Factory End.

ludermor

:D

all sorts of sexual perversions happening in Castlebar these days!

Barney

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Barney on June 04, 2008, 08:10:55 AM
Any word on how the Portugal trip went?

didn't here anything barney , however in said in the western yesterday that conor mort in carryng an injury won'y play for his club this week in the championship and could be doubtfull for the sligo game
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mannix

I watched Nallen against Laois in a challenge recently, he has a great football head even if time is catching him.
I agree with some who say the lack of an enforcer on the team is a problem, paul galvin would love to throw his weight around and get away with it, however, a referee will spot him and he must be drawn out.
After the Wexford lesson dished nice and coldly to meath, it would be nice to see a few more surprises to break the boredom.

OirthearMhaigheo

........ apart from Sligo beating us of course!! If Conor doesn't make it, I would worry where the scores will come from.