Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

I suppose you can edit title thread now Barney.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Mano

Sligonian the bait has been set for you with the change of title thread-don't react...please

magpie seanie

I know that Barney is winding but the phrase he uses is very apt for their manager. The pressure is all on Mayo and O'Mahony in particular. Anything other than a comfortable win will not be acceptable to the Mayo public who put up with an abysmal performance last year in the hope of delivery this time round. Everyone outside Sligo (and indeed many inside Sligo) will give us no hope. Sure we'll see.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2008, 11:03:33 AM
I know that Barney is winding but the phrase he uses is very apt for their manager. The pressure is all on Mayo and O'Mahony in particular. Anything other than a comfortable win will not be acceptable to the Mayo public who put up with an abysmal performance last year in the hope of delivery this time round. Everyone outside Sligo (and indeed many inside Sligo) will give us no hope. Sure we'll see.

Nice try Seanie but you know that's defintiely not the case. Most Mayo people will take any kind of a win, a one point win will do just fine and keep expectations nice and low before the Gaillimh match!!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on May 26, 2008, 11:08:21 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2008, 11:03:33 AM

Nice try Seanie but you know that's defintiely not the case. Most Mayo people will take any kind of a win, a one point win will do just fine and keep expectations nice and low before the Gaillimh match!!
It's grand weather for fishing alright, I must say.

Well we can now look forward to the 22nd, will be up against it, but Mayo didn't look great in the league, though we certainly didn't either. Team has taken a better shape yesterday (apart from McHugh - why?) and there's plenty of hope that we could steal this one. But Mayo are favourites and defeat would be rather embarrassing for them. Time will tell.

ludermor

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 26, 2008, 11:29:17 AM
[ But Mayo are favourites and defeat would be rather embarrassing for them. Time will tell.

Why would it be embarrassing OMS.
It must be the  good weather that has all the  lads out with their rods1

baoithe

To be honest lads, being from West Sligo and having a considerable number of Mayo men and women as close friends, means this game is what I have been looking forward to all year. If Sligo win we avoid the Tommy Murphy cup and have the opportunity of another crack at a Connacht title but more importantly if Sligo win I will be afforded bragging rights over the men from the Plain of the Yews for the next 12 months: a precious commodity for Sligo gaels.

Quote from: ludermor on May 26, 2008, 12:18:36 PM
[ But Mayo are favourites and defeat would be rather embarrassing for them. Time will tell.

Leaving aside all the winding up Ludermor, were Sligo to beat Mayo in Castlebar next month it would be an embarrassment for them. In fact I would go as far as to suggest it would represent a catastrophe for Mayo or at least that would be how a loss would be perceived by their supporters. Certainly amongst the supporters I know.

Can't wait for it now.  ;)

Mayo4Sam

I think a poor performance and a 1 point win, possibly after a draw would be the best medicine for mayo, stop any nonsense talking baout all-irelands or even beating galway, keep the expectation low.
Cant base a lot on yesterday but sligo seem to have little or no bother
Would expect a win against sligo, even if its just to give Baoithe a bit of abuse!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Tommy Jordan said that Sligo travelled to New York and won, travelled to London and won. He reckons Castlebar will be no bother and that it's just like a home venue for Sligo. So what do ye all make of that statement? It will be a close game no doubt between Mayo and Sligo and a 1 point win would do surely.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

baoithe

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 26, 2008, 01:15:20 PM
I think a poor performance and a 1 point win, possibly after a draw would be the best medicine for mayo, stop any nonsense talking baout all-irelands or even beating galway, keep the expectation low.
Cant base a lot on yesterday but sligo seem to have little or no bother
Would expect a win against sligo, even if its just to give Baoithe a bit of abuse!

I'll have to go to ground if we don't come out of Castlebar with something. I certainly won't be answering the phone to your cousin!

magpie seanie

Castlebar will be handier for Tommy anyhow!

Last time we were there we were a bit unfortunate to not get something out of it. Was behind the Sligo goal when Tom Nallen scored the goal and it will stay with me for a long time.

Just looked at the archive on Hoganstand and there are very few survivors from either team:

Sunday 10th June
Bank of Ireland Connacht Senior Football Championship semi-final
At McHale Park
Mayo 1-12
Sligo 1-11
Mayo - P Burke, T Nallen 1-0, K Cahill, A Roche, F Costello, J Nallen, N Connelly, C McManaman, P Fallon, J Gill, D McDonagh, T Mortimer, M McNicholas 0-4, R Loftus, S Carolan 0-2. Subs: K McDonald 0-1 for Loftus, M Sheridan 0-5 for McDonagh, D Nestor for Gill, M Moyles for McManaman
Sligo - P Walsh, P Gallagher, M Cosgrove, B Phillips, D Durkin, M Langan, P Naughton, P Durcan, R Brennan, E O'Hara 0-1, P Taylor 0-4, S Davey 1-0, D Sloyan 0-4, J McPartland 0-2, G McGowan. Subs: K Quinn for Brennan, D McGarty for Davey, P Doohan for Cosgrove.

rrhf

My sources in Mayo would be quite confident that Mayo will finish a top 3 - 4 team this year.  They are convinced that Mc Donald will be back in mid summer, but only on Johnnos terms..  it seems Mayo have been ticking along and O Mahony has a master plan to win Sam.  Now Barney you can stop winding up the poor Sligo guys!  ;)   

highorlow

QuoteBut Mayo are favourites and defeat would be rather embarrassing for them. Time will tell.

QuoteNo doubt we are a poor league team but we are far better championship team, unlike galway and mayo where ye seem to go backwards. For counties that have alot of success yee seem to put way too much emphasis and importance on the league. Its good for us though that atitude. I dont think the penny will ever drop with yee. We were shite in last yrs league and look what happened . How many more examples do yee want? Look at wicklow............

Seems to be a bit of a mixed opinion from the hunger strikers ?

I'd say Mayo will be no more than 4/6 against the current champions... thats not too strong favorites.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Barney

QuoteAnything other than a comfortable win will not be acceptable to the Mayo public who put up with an abysmal performance last year in the hope of delivery this time round.

I think Seanie is right in what he says to a degree.

Nobody expects a comfortable win but defeat will mean curtains for O'Mahony. Delivery this time around isn't Sam but a serious shot at Connacht and at the least a structured team playing with pride.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: baoithe on May 26, 2008, 12:59:48 PM

To be honest lads, being from West Sligo and having a considerable number of Mayo men and women as close friends, means this game is what I have been looking forward to all year. If Sligo win we avoid the Tommy Murphy cup and have the opportunity of another crack at a Connacht title but more importantly if Sligo win I will be afforded bragging rights over the men from the Plain of the Yews for the next 12 months: a precious commodity for Sligo gaels.

Quote from: ludermor on May 26, 2008, 12:18:36 PM

Leaving aside all the winding up Ludermor, were Sligo to beat Mayo in Castlebar next month it would be an embarrassment for them. In fact I would go as far as to suggest it would represent a catastrophe for Mayo or at least that would be how a loss would be perceived by their supporters. Certainly amongst the supporters I know.

Can't wait for it now.  ;)

That sums it up. Even in Mayo's darkest days they surely always felt that they above us, and often with good reason. Sure our Connacht title has been dismissed by some as down to the weakness of the province last year. Whether that's true or not it is a matter of opinion. Our better teams seemed to coincide with Galway being strong, so we have been unlucky on those occasions. But it would surely let Mayo folk feel that normal order will be restored this time around, and Mayo have been to two AIF's - allegedly - in recent years, so losing at home to us lot wouldn't go down well. Would be fun in Charlestown if they do!

Quote from: highorlow on May 26, 2008, 01:59:44 PM
Seems to be a bit of a mixed opinion from the hunger strikers ?
Where did that term come from?