Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Good mates equals even more motivation. I for one hate losing and especially to mates.

On a sidenote I changed my profile picture just so Mayo lads and Galway lads remember what the nestor cup looks like ;) could be while before ye see it again.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

the Deel Rover

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 12, 2008, 05:06:30 PM
Good mates equals even more motivation. I for one hate losing and especially to mates.

On a sidenote I changed my profile picture just so Mayo lads and Galway lads remember what the nestor cup looks like ;) could be while before ye see it again.

:D make sure ye have it nice and polished when your handing it back Sligonian ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GaillimhIarthair

Hold on to that picture Sligonian just in case its another 30 odd years before ye manage to get a look at Nestor again  :D :D :D

I assume you are brimming with confidence for Sunday week seeing as ye are the team going into battle with the most settled side  ;)

Farrandeelin

Christ, how many of us here spent time in Muredachs!!!

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 12, 2008, 07:38:32 PM

Hold on to that picture Sligonian just in case its another 30 odd years before ye manage to get a look at Nestor again  :D :D :D

I assume you are brimming with confidence for Sunday week seeing as ye are the team going into battle with the most settled side  ;)

Sure Sligo bucks are always bloody confident. I lived with a sligo fella for the past 2 years and this year since the draw was made, he constantly lets me know how Sligo are gonna win. I sincerely hope he's wrong!

JOM said this year that maybe we might win an All-Ireland when we least expect it. Well, that's how I feel (least expecting anything) so that's keeping me going anyway cos I'm like a lot of the Mayo supporters on here, very pessimistic.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Glad to see yee took my windup in good faith, yee havent lost yere sense of humour ;).

Yes i still believe we will win gailimhiarthair whilst i still dont deny it wont be easy. No one knows the future but its fairly likely we will win it alot more in the coming yrs IMO. Id settle for 5 of the next 10 ;).

SLIGO 3-07 ROSCOMMON 0-16 FT

Was at the game in boyle tonght. Sligo team greene, harrison, naughton, donovan, mcgovern, egan, mchugh,ohara, quinn, mcnamara, mcpartland,curran, gaughan, cawley, j davey.

Took SLIGO along time to settle and gaughan got goal after ros were 0-4 up then it was 0-7 to 1-0 but sligo finally found our stride scoring goal from a fisted cawley effort and a few points to lead 2-4 to 0-8 at HT.

Second half davey got good goal early to put us further ahead. We borught on phillips and mcguire at ht and then made a further 8 changes with daniel davey, stephen gilmartin, sweeney, g mcgowan, gallagher,ewing, kivelhan all coming on. Daniel davey looked best with outstanding score aswell.

Obviously while all these changes happened ros took upper hand with sligo slow to settle. Ros only made 2 or 3 changes and and were leading by 2 late on but sligo got 2 late score to level.

Suprise for me was naughton when in the 2nd half played as a third midfielder and was outstanding and a way ahead of mcnamara who was poor again. Quinn still not playing well. Ger heneghan took harrison to the cleaners again from play. So a few worries going into the mayo game. Lack of creativity will hopefully improve with brehony and kelly back. Donovan was outstanding along with egan and mcgovern has his form back. Curran did well and mcpartland pushing close to start. Cawley did ok. O Hara looks in great shape but didnt push himself too hard. Eoin mchugh was class from play and a wee bit dodgy at takling, needs to improve on that...

Not sure about playing j davey in ff line, id play him in HF line. He is very direct runner and lacks a quick turn to create space, has a tendency to run (albeit very fast) in a straight line rather than weaving in and out.

All in all a good exercise against alot better prepared ros outfit than last few times ive seen them, plenty of hard hits but wasnt championship intensity as alot of our players were looking out for themselves as much as you can in these games.

magpie seanie

QuoteQuinn still not playing well.

You didn't see him last Sunday I take it. He's fine. Will have a huge job on his hands in Castlebar but he'll be up to it, I'm sure of that.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 12, 2008, 11:25:08 PM
QuoteQuinn still not playing well.

You didn't see him last Sunday I take it. He's fine. Will have a huge job on his hands in Castlebar but he'll be up to it, I'm sure of that.

No didnt see him for the club, just seen 3 FBDs, 7NFLs and 1 challenge for Sligo, he is yet to play to his potential or close for the county this yr..... I wish I had your optimism, I am worried about him. It was finneran and mannion midfield and ros dominated for long periods. Although I know Quinn does the donkey work and grafting and I do notice it but just not breaking or influencing around the middle as I know he can. I hope your right.

The Stand Side

Thanks for the report.  Interesting about Naughton playin out the field, wouldn't have minded seeing that.  How did McGuire do and is he shaping up well? I'll go with Seanie's optimism on Quinn.  Heard he is going well and is definitely an honest worker around the middle.  Still the best option at midfield.  I feel we have better options this year if things start wrong, with Maguire almost back, we will have good experience on the bench no matter what team is picked.  McNamara could well be on bench next week which I think would be no harm.  Very pessimistic Mayo supporters out there this year.  Usually they are in full bullshop mode at this stage.   

SLIGONIAN

McGuire did fine, same old. looks in fine shape considering the injury. Naughton was the big suprise, not his biggest fan, well not at fullback anyway but the lad is brimming with confidence and that was a powerful display he put in as third midfielder. If mcguire does start fb well if naughton is dropped and mcnamara starts he can feel very hard done IMO.

RedandGreenSniper

Does anyone know if the game is being shown live on TV3 or RTE? If it Setanta Oz will probably have it, otherwise I'll be fecked
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: Barney on June 12, 2008, 08:20:16 AM
Lads if we end up with a full-back line with Aidan Higgins, Billie Joe and Liam O'Malley we are going to get the mother and father of beating once we meet a decent team.

Defensive tactics are wrong. There is no settled unit and still 10 days before entering the championship there is serious uncertainty.

We are in big bother.

Predictions of 8 - 15 are probably correct.

Would any of you agree that we are possibly looking at the worst Mayo team since 1995 both in terms of personnel and preparation?

I often think that 95 team was nt as bad as is usually made out. As far as I can piece together the team that started v Galway was.

Heffernan. Mortimor. Cahill. Ruane. McGarry. Nallen.Coleman.
  Fallon.Colm Mac. Cunney. Dempsey. Niland. Byrne. Casey. O Neill.

Now Mc Stay has said since that prep was a joke. And he was the coach and should know as well as take some flak for it. He had been brought in strained circumstances by the county board and not brought in by the management team of Egan, McHale,  Rudden and Lambe. Before the championship I remember him [McStay] being bullish about our chances, saying nobody was getting a soft jersey. Yet later he said the whole thing was a mess. The Galway game was similar in ways to last year and no worse. Cahill choose to mind Daly instead of attacking the ball and we paid a heavy price with several soft early scores from a slow, old, cute ff. Years later I asked someone close to the team whose idea was it for Cahill [one of our best ever fbs] to play from behind and I was told it was his own. The decision should never have been left to Cahill and it cost us the game imho. Daly was in his last year and was slow and must have thought all his Christmases came together in July 95. He did nt get a kick in Croke Park after because he was beaten to every ball. Mayo had enough possession that day to win 2 games. Fallon and Colm Mac - our midfielders, kicked 13 wides between them which says something.
What's often forgotten is that we played very well against Ros in the semi-final. Especially in the first half. The half back line had scored 1 - 3 before half time. I have no doubt it was the best half back line I ever saw in Mayo but 2 of them hardly ever played again for Mayo. Garrymore s Tony Corcoran [1-1 v Ros] broke his leg before the Connacht final and Peter Butler picked up a 'bad knock' v Ros. Not saying he was done or anything. Somebody just stamped on his leg accidentally while he was on the ground. A far better half back line than 96/97. Mortimer, if memory serves me correctly, also was carrying an injury in the final in Tuam. So defensively we were in a bit of disarray for the final. Everybody fit we had an exceptional defence that year. Mort. Cahill. Ruane, Corcoran ,Nallen, Butler.
We would nt mind those now I think. A few other notable things about 95.
Pat Fallon came into the team for the first time even though he was late 20s.
McHale had got pissed off and was shootin hoops stateside.
Gary Ruane was there and shamefully ignored for the guts of 10 years after.
Butler was there but JM did nt appear to like the cut of him even though he was exactly what was needed in 96/97 finals.
Michael Colman, Sheridan were also around.

As regards the fb line of AH, BJP and O Malley. I don't think many of us expect them to be there in block.

Bod Mor

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 13, 2008, 01:34:12 AM
Does anyone know if the game is being shown live on TV3 or RTE? If it Setanta Oz will probably have it, otherwise I'll be fecked

No more than myself you're fecked! I had a look on setanta.com.au tv listings and it says they're showing Limerick V Clare and Laois V Wexford.

We'll have to rely on the old faithful mid-west I'm afraid!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Quote from: Bod Mor on June 13, 2008, 05:56:45 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 13, 2008, 01:34:12 AM

No more than myself you're fecked! I had a look on setanta.com.au tv listings and it says they're showing Limerick V Clare and Laois V Wexford.

We'll have to rely on the old faithful mid-west I'm afraid!

Think we're all fecked boys - one of the downsides I suppose

RedandGreenSniper

Well Bollix!
There goes the main rationale for getting Setanta in the first place.
Looks like its Mid West early on a Monday morning so. Is Laois v Wexford really a bigger game?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

baoithe

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 13, 2008, 12:01:57 AM
if naughton is dropped and mcnamara starts he can feel very hard done IMO.

Well I know which of these two I'd have playing.

In respect of Quinn, I have every faith he will turn up on Sunday week. Regardless we don't have many options in there and as Seanie says it's going to be a huge battle in that sector against Mayo.

Sligonian, any criticisms of Eamonn Cawleys display? Presumably he was one of the 10 changes made?